What's (almost) more satisfying than paddling?

…is the look on people’s faces when I pass them on the road, kayak on roof, in “cold” weather. I often wish I had a dash cam so that I could make a compilation of this to share with others.

Many are clearly oblivious to everything around them, or have their eyes downcast to their phone, but the others are what interest me. I often see heads turned slightly, chin upraised, and the looks cover quite a range including: wistful, pensive, doubtful, dumbstruck and incredulous. Some are so clearly taken aback you can almost hear them saying “what’s that crazy bastard up to?”

What about the rest of you that paddle when some (or most) of the water is a little “firm” still? Do you notice others’ looks? Do they notice you?

Water only gets firm here in the freezer.

Once I got a thumbs up from a guy on a motorcycle. That was fun.

Thanks for the chuckle about the water being a bit “firm”. Had to re-read a couple of times to figure it out.

I was paddling the kayak I made for that second time (frist time on public water). I was headed back to the ramp approaching the Saluda River Bridge when a work truck goes by. I hear it slow down after it pasted, and turn around. He stops on the bridge gets out and says “nice boat! That looks like what I need too do.” Asks a few questions about kayaking and heads home. It put a smile on my face. I have had many positive comments from fisherman on the water, and several while gassing up with the boat on the rack.

Reminds me of the time I went bicycling up a big mountain with some friends. A motorcycle dude at the top said he couldn’t believe that people ride bikes up it. I told him I’d been bicycling a loooong time. Nuthin’ to write home about.

@castoff said:
I was paddling the kayak I made for that second time (frist time on public water). I was headed back to the ramp approaching the Saluda River Bridge when a work truck goes by. I hear it slow down after it pasted, and turn around. He stops on the bridge gets out and says “nice boat! That looks like what I need too do.” Asks a few questions about kayaking and heads home. It put a smile on my face. I have had many positive comments from fisherman on the water, and several while gassing up with the boat on the rack.

Me too. I’ve had similar situations.

However I really enjoy paddling on Tuesday or Thursday. That ride to the launch point through rush hour traffic doesn’t seem nearly as bad as when I was working. I’ve had people slow down and change lanes to look at the boats on the car.

@Overstreet said:
However I really enjoy paddling on Tuesday or Thursday.

Oh now that’s just bragging. :wink:

But I imagine you’ve put in your time. I hope to get there some day while I’m still able to move my own boats around and remember where I’m going with them.

I was still paddling, and he saw me from the bridge when he turned around and stopped in the middle. I couldn’t believe it. It still makes me smile when I think about it.

Yes middle of the week the ramp isn’t so busy, and a lot fewer power boats.

My advice paddle as often as you can, Do what you love and spend time with the people who are important in your life. We never know when we won’t be able too.

I was coming home from a trip with my first boat and stopped at a busy gas station in the country.
A guy came running across the parking lot straight to me.
???!
He wanted to talk about paddling. This was before kayaks became a common sight on the road.

@castoff said:
I was still paddling, and he saw me from the bridge when he turned around and stopped in the middle. I couldn’t believe it. It still makes me smile when I think about it.

Yes middle of the week the ramp isn’t so busy, and a lot fewer power boats.

My advice paddle as often as you can, Do what you love and spend time with the people who are important in your life. We never know when we won’t be able too.

Second that.

Riding my 1954 Raleigh Sports bicycle with its original leather seat still very comfy. The front hub has in-built generator that still powers headlight and tail lamp.

Feelin’ a Little In My Prine

I’m cruisin’ down the road,
like Lucky LaRue.
Drivers look up from their textin’,
gawk at my roof-racked canoes.
I ain’t hurtin’ nobody.
I ain’t hurtin’ no one.

2 million commuters cuttin’ off each other on this highway.
To jobs rushin’ phone discussin’ and just cussin, “GTFO my way!”

Do’n sixty in the mid-lane,
in this lunkin’ old van.
Spreadin’ fears of Deliverance,
‘long with my silver-naked-trucker decal man.
I ain’t hurtin’ nobody.
I ain’t hurtin’ no one.

Nantucket Sleigh Rides. Probably another month and half before the first wave of sizeable stripers reach Mass Bay.

sing