Kayak for river expeditions

Hello everyone, I’ve been doing some research for a kayak that I can use on multi day camping trips along the river maybe upto 4 or 5 days if that’s possible. I live in the Ozarks and would be paddling primarily these rivers and creeks.
Kayaks that seam like a good fit to demo

1. WS zephyr
  2. Dagger stratos
  3. Current Designs sirocco
    4.?
    Please let me know if there is a better expedition kayak I should consider. Or if you need more details.
    I currently have a tarpon 120 but want to move into the sea kayaks.
    Thanks for reading!

I’ve owned a Stratos 14.5L for a few months and although we’re still getting acquainted, I’ve been very happy with it so far. It fills a niche that my “long boat”, a 17’10" fiberglass sea kayak doesn’t excel at. I have a Sirocco for sale that also didn’t quite do the things I wanted it to, and the Stratos is taking it’s place. I’m not as familiar with the Zephyr, but I’d wager it’s not a bad choice either.

Of particular note is the storage capacity of the Stratos 14.5L. Though I haven’t actually taken it on a longer trip yet, it seems to hold as much if not more than the Sirocco does. I’ve test packed the same gear I’d bring on a 1 week trip and didn’t have a problem with it. Soon (April, probably) I’ll put it to the test for a long weekend or two. The only thing that changes for a 1 week long trip is the amout of food I bring, so space requirements aren’t much different.

What I can’t comment on is your body size and how you’ll fit into these boats. This is of the utmost importance and you should spend a lot of time trying different models on for size. You experience level will also play a big part here, of which you make no mention of.

Thanks for your comment sparky961. Im 5’11 and weigh 190lbs. As far as experience goes it’s only been in the tarpon 120 for about 5 years on mostly calm rivers and occasionally tablerock lake. Maybe about 7 to 8 times a year.

Of the boats you mentioned so far, you will have a very difficult time finding a better boat for the money than the CD Sirocco. I have no idea what Sparky’s experience has been with his Sirocco, but I’ve had mine for about 12 years and have learned to appreciate that it can do it all. When I say that it will do it all, I mean that it will handle as rough conditions as you would ever want to be in. It is a very easy boat to paddle, track and maneuver. It is not the fastest sea kayak, but it is far from being slow.

The Sirocco is not the lightest boat around, but it is very well built and if you take care of it, it will last for ever. Two things to know about the Sirocco is: 1) use the skeg; it’s there for a reason–it’s not a crutch. 2) The Sirocco is a great boat if you’re into rolling, but it can spoil you, because it does everything for you. It will brace up without you having to do anything, but start to lay back. The boat pops up so fast you won’t believe it. For me it even works with my head out of the water. I am 6’-2" and about 180 lbs.

I have paddled more sea kayaks than I can remember and there are few that I would rate higher than the Sirocco when it comes to bang for the buck.

Now if you’re into spending a lot more money, be sure to check out the CD Prana.

Hey there magooch! Thanks for the comment. I will definitely add that to the demo list. I love the weight of the CD prana or lack there of ha, but i will be in some shallow rocky rivers. Is there any boats in the 17ft or 18ft range thats maneuverable for twisty rivers and creeks or am i pushing it.
Thanks everyone!

All 3 boats you listed are decent options. Best if you can get some time paddling each to make your decision.

Note - the Zephyr comes in 2 sizes, and you more likely based on your size you would want the 160. The Stratos also comes in 2 sizes, but you likely could fit either, but the L may be better.

I don’t know the Ozarks, so not sure what the rivers are like. But you mention creeks, which leads me to believe narrower waterways. With that, you may find the shorter Stratos (14.5’) easier to turn than the other two (16’ and almost 17’). I have a Stratos L, and it turns on a dime as compared to when I am in a 17’ boat.

On longer boats that can maneuver, you are looking for boats that have a lot of rocker (bow and stern sticking up). More rocker usually reduces speed and ability to track straight. If you really want long and lots of rocker, see if you can find a Sterling Reflection. It is what I would buy if I won Lotto (you could buy 1 each of all the other boats listed for the price of a new Reflection). http://www.sterlingskayak.com/reflection1.html

One thing to keep in mind is the self-rescue requirements for sea kayaks over the sit on top you’ve been using. It may be good to take one of the day long intro to see kayak classes available at outfitters. Better yet if you can arrange for the class to use one of the bats you are considering, as this would also then be demo time along with education time.

OP, you didn’t mention canoes, but that is the first boat that comes to mind for " multi day camping trips".
Certainly, those can be done from a kayak , but with a canoe you can do them in comfort.
Lots of canoe experts here.

I second the canoe option for the Ozark streams & camping. If you could find a Mohawk Solo 14 in R-lite it could be close to perfect. The longer kayaks would be better on the big impoundments & rivers.

Thanks for the replies rival51, string. I have done alot of canoeing but i just fell in love with kayaking. Maybe it would be best to just kayak the bigger rivers around me and just keep the tarpon 120 for the smaller creeks. Also I was interested in doing some winter trips and thought it be best in the sit in.
I really like the adventures that Trip Smith on youtube takes was basically wanting to kind of do the same camping style.
Thanks again y’all.

Also river kings on youtube is another similar channel to the style of kayaking/camping i would like to do.

Trip says some good things. …and some “youthful” things. A skirt would keep the water out and keep things warm in the winter in Fla. Believe it or not gets cold here. Some hydroskins for immersion are suggested yet not a requirement always. Spring fed is largely 72 degrees. Barefoot is nice till you find the broken glass, rocks, oysters, etc. Skip the “everything wet” tests unless you just have to. The maps put out by the office of greenways and trails, State of Fla , are a guide. Check real maps and GPS coordinates for actual locations.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7vYWj-04b20

One way to select your kayak is to take your backpack to the store. Place the back pack into the rear hatch. If it fits through the hatch the kayak is likely big enough. Some pack in a lot of little dry bags. I find a bag of bags better.

I wouldn’t take a Sirocco, or any other sea kayak on a shallow creek, or even a very small shallow river. That kind of water is for canoes and rubber rafts. However, don’t worry about maneuvering boats like the Sirocco; they will turn on a dime and if you really want to, you can spin the boat in it’s own length.

Don’t even think about putting boats like the CD Prana, or Sterling Reflection on piddly little creeks and rivers. That would be blasphemy and should be against the law.

If I stayed away from the Shallow stuff what about something like a WS Tempest for a little more speed? Or any other recommendations?

Shallow rivers…
A kayak without scratches is furniture.

Shallow rivers in Trip Smith water like the vid above are not rubber raft water. We have low fall rivers.

Been rethinking the canoe over kayaks it seems more recommended for the Ozarks. Why is it? What would you do if you wanted to go in the winter just get a dry suit of some sort?

Overstreet: “Shallow rivers…
A kayak without scratches is furniture.”

Yep & with what you show a little sandpaper & varnish & you are good to go again.

My take on canoes on rivers (others will differ): Easy to load & unload. Also easier to carry when needed. Easier to get in and out of at complicated landings. You have better visibility as your head is a foot or so higher. you don’t have to worry about the other end of the paddle when you are in the bushes. You can haul firewood & whatever when needed. You can change positions easily - you can even stand when you want a really good view downstream. In my case, I’m far better maneuvering a canoe on moving water with obstructions than a kayak.

@rival51 said:
My take on canoes on rivers (others will differ): Easy to load & unload. Also easier to carry when needed. Easier to get in and out of at complicated landings. You have better visibility as your head is a foot or so higher. you don’t have to worry about the other end of the paddle when you are in the bushes. You can haul firewood & whatever when needed. You can change positions easily - you can even stand when you want a really good view downstream. In my case, I’m far better maneuvering a canoe on moving water with obstructions than a kayak.

Excellent points Rival. I use SOT for many of the same reasons, but I don’t do expeditions. I have camped from a backpack, and did not enjoy it. Canoes for comfort!

Ok so thank you for all the great comments! I’m becoming increasingly interested in a canoe as that seems to be best for my area on some of the creeks I prefer to paddle as they have way less crowds. Anyone have thoughts on the Esquif Prospecteur 15? Its not royalex but is made of T-Formex material basically a royalex replacement. There’s actually a dealer 40 miles away. I might take a look at it this weekend.

Repost as a new topic and you’ll get faster answers.