First Swim of 2018 and Broken Drysuit Zipper – Scantic in CT

It could have been a real disaster - the broken zipper on my drysuit, not the swim. After driving an hour and a half to the Scantic River in CT, I broke the zipper on my drysuit trying to put it on. Fortunately a friend who lived nearby was able to lend me a wetsuit and dry top, so I was able to do the run - crisis averted.

I joined a group from the CTAMC to run the race course of the annual Scantic Splash whitewater race, which will be held next week. The level was low but runnable, and of course I was the only open boater. The first 2.5 miles is quickwater/easy class I. The next 2.5 miles has couple of nice surf spots, and three class II+ rapids – Stokers, Chimney and Staircase.

Stokers is a 3-foot ledge that needs to be run about 10 feet off the left bank. My history at Stokers isn’t great (1 for 4 prior to this run), and I may have run it a little too far to the right this time, but I made it through fine.

Running Stokers
Running Stokers

The next rapid is Chimney - an “S” turn through some rocky ledges – no problem.

Dana running Chimney
Chimney - Dana

The final rapid is Staircase, and it is exactly what you would expect - a series of ledges that look like a staircase with a large shoot at the bottom. The ledges were pretty boney, and I got stuck in a hole just above the final shoot. I worked my way out, but came out backwards and couldn’t get myself turned around in time, so I had to run the final shoot backwards. I ended up swimming at the big wave at the bottom – first swim of 2018.

Running Staircase the hard way - backwards and about to swim
Running Staircase the hard way - backwards

Swimming in a wetsuit reminded me why I love my drysuit, so I ordered a new one as soon as I got home. Anyone know where you can get a drysuit zipper fixed.

Few more pictures here;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/albums/72157667060443968/with/27125952718/

Here is the blown out zipper on my drysuit if anyone knows where I can get it fixed.

Blown out zipper on my drysuit

Thanks.

Who made it?

NRS - its 4 years old and was a warranty replacement for a previous drysuit with a broken zipper. I called them, and they asked me to send the picture. They do gaskets but were non committal on zippers.

If they don’t do it they may know who does. Kayak academy may…I remember seeing company who does. Dive ships may do it too. Google it.

When I google it, dive shops comes up and not much else. I know there was a company that specialized in paddling drysuits, but I can’t remember the name.

I wonder if you could stitch and aquaseal the ripped fabric back in place. Not sure if I would trust it, but would certainly do it as an emergency repair.

@eckilson said:
When I google it, dive shops comes up and not much else. I know there was a company that specialized in paddling drysuits, but I can’t remember the name.

This NRS link https://www.nrs.com/repair/drysuit_repair.asp states they only patch small holes or tears and recommends Rainy Pass Repair for other needs.

Rainy Pass does do zipper repairs and replacements. Here’s its link: http://rainypass.com/drysuits/

Thanks Rookie - that’s a big help. I sent them an email.

NRS referred me to Rainy Pass Repair - $275 for the zipper, 6 to 8 weeks for the repair. I’ll have a new one long before then, but I am going to get it fixed.

Glad it worked out. Not a bad price, but long time to wait for a repair when the water’s cold.

Anyone who paddles early-season and winter whitewater as much as you do will probably eventually wish he had two drysuits anyway, when one of them needs repair. I guess that time has come.

@Rookie said:
Glad it worked out. Not a bad price, but long time to wait for a repair when the water’s cold.

It is a long time to wait, and some of the best paddling is in April. I could wear my wetsuit and splash top, but it is pretty cold if you swim, which I do on occasion. So, my new NRS Extreme Dry suit ships out today.

https://www.nrs.com/product/22523.03/nrs-extreme-drysuit

It took a little negotiating, but I traded away my Father’s Day and Birthday presents for it. I would have got the discontinued version (what I have now) if they had my size.

@Guideboatguy said:
Anyone who paddles early-season and winter whitewater as much as you do will probably eventually wish he had two drysuits anyway, when one of them needs repair. I guess that time has come.

I am going to get my old one fixed as well - as you say, it will be nice to have a spare, especially when I need a tandem partner in the winter.

eck I definately feel your pain, killed two drysuit zippers myself. What got me last time was putting the suit on with the zipper not all the way open and of course tried to fix it myself and only made it worse. Still sitting in a box waiting to shipped out for repairs, so thanks for the rainy pass link. Love drysuits but they are problematic, usually take a spare to the put in with me. Right now my palm semi dry suit is delaminating and prone to zipper separation but I still use it on shoulder seasons. I think of it more as a semi wet suit. My kokatat is holding up well, but yet it seems to get a little damper everytime I use it, My stohlquist needs a zipper replacement, my mythic is too large and baggy but I can fold everything in and make it work, I botched putting in a new gasket on my level six dry top, My old helly hanson plastic drysuit died years ago, trying to use a coat hanger and the car mirror to rear zip it for a solo upper gauley run. I’ve got more money in clothing and drysuits than I do in boats. The price you pay for boating all year.

@tdaniel said:
I’ve got more money in clothing and drysuits than I do in boats. The price you pay for boating all year.

Me too - spent as much for the drysuits as the boats, but it is definitely worth it. Now if I could only learn to roll so I don’t swim so much…

@eckilson said:

@Rookie said:

It is a long to to wait, and some of the best paddling is in April. I could wear my wetsuit and splash top, but it is pretty cold if you swim, which I do on occasion. So, my new NRS Extreme Dry suit ships out today.

https://www.nrs.com/product/22523.03/nrs-extreme-drysuit

It took a little negotiating, but I traded away my Father’s Day and Birthday presents for it. I would have got the discontinued version (what I have now) if they had my size.

@Guideboatguy said:

I am going to get my old one fixed as well - as you say, it will be nice to have a spare, especially when I need a tandem partner in the winter.

Maybe she will forget the negotiation by the time those events occur.
Fat chance!

@string said:
Maybe she will forget the negotiation by the time those events occur.
Fat chance!

Either way I am good - fair trade. Couple of fun dam releases in April that I want to be at. :slight_smile:

Had an NRS suit that I “packed” too aggressively and messed up the zipper. Had to use pliers to extricate myself after a paddle.
Upgraded to a Palm which started to delaminate and was replaced under warranty. Sold the new Palm drysuit and got a Kokatat expedition suit. Found I could slip into both sleeves on the expedition pretty quickly, but in doing so put a little pressure on the zipper. Zipper stop tore, and the plastic zipper bottom started to separate. Sent back to Kokatat and repaired under warranty for the s&h and a pressure test.
I’m now much more careful with the zipper.

For me, it seems to be the zipper that always fails, for others it seems to be gaskets. This will be my 4th drysuit in about 12 years. The first lasted about 4 years when the zipper failed. NRS replaced it under warranty. The replacement lasted less than a year, and NRS wouldn’t replace it again, so I bought a replacement. That is the one that just failed, so it is about 7 years old. I went back and counted and I have done around 200 trips in October through March (typical drysuit season) during those 7 years, so the drysuit cost me around $4 a paddle. Small price to pay for being safe.