Scorpio MK2, LV vs MV?

Hey paddlers,

First post here, after doing some searching. I’m a slim-to-medium build male paddler, 5’11", 155lbs. I’ve been demoing various boats for intermediate-to-advanced sea kayaking, and I had a great time paddling the Scorpio MK2 MV. However, there isn’t an “LV” model to compare to anywhere in my region. I felt the MV was nice and responsive but a hair more boat than I needed. I’d like to imagine I could order the Scorpio LV sight unseen, but kayaks are investments and I’d love to get some second opinions and data points.

For reference, here are some other boats that felt comfortable and the “right” size to me –

WS Tempest 165 (the 170 swallowed me)
Current Designs Squall (the Storm, too big)
Eddyline Fathom LV (the Fathom, too much cockpit)
Delta 15s (much better fit than the 15GT)
Necky Eliza (fbarely, feet can touch the fwd bulkhead if I’m really operating the rudder, so I keep pegs locked)
Delphin 150 (155 fun but a hair too large)
… and, just to confuse things, the Perception Shadow always put my legs to sleep even though the hip fit felt right.

I tend to wear S/M boating apparel and often find myself going for “women’s” fits. So based on the trend, I believe the LV is the way to go, but if anybody has a comparable body size/shape and has paddled the MK2 LV, MV, or both… speak up! All insights appreciated. Cheers and thanks in advance.
Ted

Fwiw, I paddled the first P&H Scorpio LV that was shipped to North America back in 2008. It took me several years, but in 2011 I purchased one and I have been paddling a Scorpio LV ever since. The Scorpio is a lovely poly boat and the tri-laminate hull is stiffer and more composite ‘feeling’ than any other 15 - 17 foot plastic sea kayak I have tried. This includes, but is not limited to the following: Valley Aquanaut LV (RM); Avocet RM; Wilderness Tsunami 14: Delphin 150 and 155 (the 155 is also too large on me); and Wilderness Tempest 165.
My other sea boat is a P&H Aries 150, the composite version of the Delphin.

Currently I go 5’ 9" and 152 pounds. When I purchased my first Scorpio LV I was about 155. I’ve also padded the Scorpio MV and both the Cetus LV and MV. I much prefer the fit of the LV model. I don’t slide around in the cockpit and I have solid points of contact for rolling, bracing and sculling. Unless you have a really long inseam I strongly suspect that the Scorpio LV will be the best fit for you.

I’m not sure where you are located, but you cannot go wrong with Marshall at The River Connection in Hyde Park, NY. The ‘little’ store with the great sea kayak inventory.

Thanks, tvcrider – this is super-helpful. I wear a 29-30" inseam and size 10 bootie, so I’m guessing we’re in the ballpark with the LV. Thanks too for your rec on the retailer – sadly I’m south of San Diego on the opposite coast. Cheers.

@AlwaysWet said:
Thanks, tvcrider – this is super-helpful. I wear a 29-30" inseam and size 10 bootie, so I’m guessing we’re in the ballpark with the LV. Thanks too for your rec on the retailer – sadly I’m south of San Diego on the opposite coast. Cheers.

Yep, I also wear a size 10 bootie and my inseam is more like 30.5".

I think TVC’s original Corelite Scorpio LV ML-II wouldn’t mind living on the west coast. Drop a line for logistics info.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection