We’ve been saying that for years.

@string said:
A new Perception Pescador ad.

I’m taking a break from yard work.

@string said:

Seriously… call it what you want, these (kayaks, canoes, SUPs, waveskis) are all toys. Some are just more expensive than others for the middle and upper aged weekend “warriors” (paddlers) with means. LOL!

sing

@string

Here’s the link. It’s a funny ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdcJQq5nz-8

@Rookie said:
@string

Here’s the link. It’s a funny ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdcJQq5nz-8

Good ad!

@sing said:

@string said:

Seriously… call it what you want, these (kayaks, canoes, SUPs, waveskis) are all toys. Some are just more expensive than others for the middle and upper aged weekend “warriors” (paddlers) with means. LOL!

sing

Sing, you’re right of course. At least until it becomes a life saver, or a trap.

I sure enjoy my toys. I especially like that l’m the motor, and the places I can go in them! I have to wonder if a fishing boat is a toy? Maybe today unless a living is made from it.

Funny video Rookie!

@string said:

@sing said:

@string said:

sing

Sing, you’re right of course. At least until it becomes a life saver, or a trap.

That’s true of my (generic) longboards, (expensive) waveskis, SOTs, ww kayaks, (homemade) greenland SOF, (brand name) SINK, (costly “adult”) kick scooter, (vintage) bike, (utilitarian Japanese hatchback) car and even my (sensible casual) shoes. Just the other day, I almost slammed my face into the concrete walk when I stepped on my (unbeknownst to me) untied shoelace…

Just saying… An ad is an ad is an ad. Reminds of the ads for volvos as “safe” cars. How about not driving? We ain’t going for that tho’!

sing

@castoff said:

Funny video Rookie!

I especially enjoyed the line “I was out buying some toilet paper and saw a kayak for $199.”

Probably because when I was at the grocery store yesterday buying food, there was a display of yakoffs inside the entrance.

Yes that line is full of implication! So tongue and cheek! I laugh at the sales pitch, and understand you get what you pay for.

However, I own a pelican 10 foot Toy that I bought new for $169, I knew it was just a beginning so I bought a $150 dollar carbon paddle and good kayaking PFD. Right off the bat I purposely did a capsize in deep water and then emptied the water realizing I would need a baler. I learned to empty and reenter a canoe as a kid. I added 12 pool noodles for flotation along the inside. I practiced flipping, it emptying it, and doing a surfboard style remount. It is small and only 36# so easy to transport at 10’ long. Caught a 16 pound Blue Catfish that took me for a ride. Played in the surf, ran some class 1 rapids, and paddled around gators. In essence it was worth the money. I still have it. It taught me a lot, and I learned what I really wanted was a sea kayak. I have owned a tandem canoe since 1975 and even played in the surf some with it. The sea kayak seems the best boat for rough windy water, and is even fun in those conditions. It can cover the distance at a good steady pace. As a toy boat it far surpasses what my little green pirogi of a kayak can do. Paddle a canoe or paddle a kayak, paddling on the water is a joy, and that rhymes with toy!

@castoff said:
Yes that line is full of implication! So tongue and cheek! I laugh at the sales pitch, and understand you get what you pay for.

However, I own a pelican 10 foot Toy that I bought new for $169, I knew it was just a beginning so I bought a $150 dollar carbon paddle and good kayaking PFD. Right off the bat I purposely did a capsize in deep water and then emptied the water realizing I would need a baler. I learned to empty and reenter a canoe as a kid. I added 12 pool noodles for flotation along the inside. I practiced flipping, it emptying it, and doing a surfboard style remount. It is small and only 36# so easy to transport at 10’ long. Caught a 16 pound Blue Catfish that took me for a ride. Played in the surf, ran some class 1 rapids, and paddled around gators. In essence it was worth the money. I still have it. It taught me a lot, and I learned what I really wanted was a sea kayak. I have owned a tandem canoe since 1975 and even played in the surf some with it. The sea kayak seems the best boat for rough windy water, and is even fun in those conditions. It can cover the distance at a good steady pace. As a toy boat it far surpasses what my little green pirogi of a kayak can do. Paddle a canoe or paddle a kayak, paddling on the water is a joy, and that rhymes with toy!

I remember when my dad-in-law buying some inexpensive big box kayak for under two hundred bucks for fishing about 20 years ago. At that point, I was totally into being "MR All That KAYAKER "with my brand name composite seakayaks, white water kayaks, and first surf kayak, all which I can reliably roll with my paddle and even hand roll most. I wanted to say something and to even offer to buy him another kayak. I asked him what he what was going to do with the kayak and what his safety gear he was going to use. Basically, he was going to fish, but only on small ponds, on the nicest days of the summer and with a PFD on always. This is the same guy who taught me to fish and hunt when I was courting his daughter in college. Who the heck am I to look down on his kayak choice and to question how he intend to use his boat.

Anyway, for the next fifteen years, he did exactly what he said he would do with his “cheapo” kayak, had great fun with no muss and certainly no drama. I can’t say the same for me… I have come close to meeting my maker on more than several occaisons with my padding choices and venues. My dad asked a couple of years ago whether I wanted his kayak 'cause he barely have time anymore, given my mother-in-law’s failing health. But, he said he had fun with that kayak. Might not make a great commercial but what more can be said about his very appropriate choice…?

sing

Gotten over myself as that in-the-know “kayaker”

Y’all a bunch of elitists…
Remember being called that when we bashed Perception.

Funny ad…

@grayhawk said:

Funny ad…

Most sustained (and sometimes funny) critique involved the WS Pamlico, or was that about the erstwhile paddler of the same name… Offsetting that was a long period of touting WS Tempest as the “it” kayak…

Stay here long enough, you see stuff cycle through over and over.

sing

Unless they are making you money or necessary for sustaining life* they are toys.

• Ignoring philosophic necessity

@sing said:

@grayhawk said:

Funny ad…

Most sustained (and sometimes funny) critique involved the WS Pamlico, or was that about the erstwhile paddler of the same name… Offsetting that was a long period of touting WS Tempest as the “it” kayak…

Stay here long enough, you see stuff cycle through over and over.

sing

You forgot QCC.

I must confess Brothers and Sisters, for many years I have thought Perception just made plastic s__t. While we are confessing, anybody else out there think that “Ranger” is really hot? That’s a funny ad.

Attractive, not hot.
Shawna likes Perception, I like WS or OT.
But I recall when Perception was an ‘entry level’ kayak.
Now they are mid-range.
Look at this pic of some Pelican’s I saw at the Paddlefest.

Someone demoed the hull out of them.

@string said:
Someone demoed the hull out of them.

Well done, String!

Perception has a “lower end” division called Perception Sport, which produces thinner-walled, cheaply-outfitted rec style boats for the “big box” stores like Dunham’s Sports and Dick’s.

I’ve owned several of their older touring boats under both the Perception and Aquaterra marques. Aquaterra was how Perception branded their touring boats back in the 1990’s to distinguish them from their whitewater line and they were well made with some interesting innovations.

One cool thing Perception does is have an accessible on-line archive of ALL their kayak catalogs going back decades. Very handy if you come across an older Dagger or Aquaterra model and want to check out weights and other specs.