Need help choosing a SUP!!

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I’m pretty new to SUP, but I have some specific requirements and need help choosing a board, my head spins when I look at all of the options. I’m a 5’4" woman, average size, so I’m not sure of the length I should get. More importantly, though, I will be using this in a bay setting (Narragansett Bay, RI), at which times will get choppy, and I’m sure I’ll be met with some afternoon southerly winds that I will need to paddle against to get home, so I need this to be able to track and glide with ease. But, I also want to be able to do yoga on this board, so it needs to be stable and probably on the wider side. I really prefer not to get an inflatable, as this will stay in one location, it doesn’t need to be terribly portable, and I’d prefer the added stability that it seems like I would get with a rigid board. Oh, and since this is my first board purchase it can’t be super high end/ expensive.

Sooo… what do you all think? Any advice would be fantastic!! Thanks!

The best I can do is link you to this article: https://paddling.com/learn/choosing-a-stand-up-board/ There are a number of other articles related to your questions which might be helpful.

Never been on a board but plan to take a SUP class this summer. Looks like it would be a fun workout.

Thanks! Yeah, I’ve seen all of these articles and such, but they’re not specific to what I’m looking for. I’m hoping someone out there can give me some recommendations. Thanks tho!

@Rookie said:
The best I can do is link you to this article: https://paddling.com/learn/choosing-a-stand-up-board/ There are a number of other articles related to your questions which might be helpful.

Never been on a board but plan to take a SUP class this summer. Looks like it would be a fun workout.

@traci RI said:
Thanks! Yeah, I’ve seen all of these articles and such, but they’re not specific to what I’m looking for. I’m hoping someone out there can give me some recommendations. Thanks tho!

Have you considered setting up a lesson with a certified SUP coach? I think that would be a great starting point and may save you some $$$ in the long run.

Decide what you really want to do most. Yoga or paddle on the bay where you have wind and chop. Since you can do yoga anywhere I would lean towards getting a board that you can take out on the water in modest wind and waves. Honestly you need to be fairly skilled to paddle in wind and chop on an SUP, For touring you will want a long board at least 11’ and probably longer, at your weight it can be narrow. Lots of people are selling used racing boards so you can pick one up at 1/2 the original cost. I’d find a shop in your area who specializes in SUP and go in and tell them what you are looking for and ask if they have used boards. A good shop will have used and demo boards and give you a good price. When you are learning stick to calm days with no wind and very small waves. Going very early in the morning or late in the evening in the summer is a good way to find those kind of conditions. Try the forums at supzone.com for specific board suggestions. There are very few women paddlers there but there are few who are very knowledgeable and helpful and will have better knowledge of boards for light weight paddlers for touring. I’m mostly into SUP surfing and know a few SUP surfers in your area. Folks at supzone can help you find a shop in your area or connect you with some people with boards.

Supzone.com domain appears to be for sale.