Do you find reddit a reliable source

I ask because I asked on the kayaking subreddit if a inflatable kayak can handle class iv rapids. I won’t do them this year anyway this year I plan on starting out with white water parks like what they have in Oklahoma, the same way I’m starting out with boogie boarding which is the flow rider. Ever since I got black belt and graduated from karate I have been looking for a new challenge and I found white water kayaking, I plan on using inflatables until I can get to where I can roll a hardshell kayak, and I saw people on youtube Eskimo rolling an inflatable, and they guy on reddit said oh rolling a hard shell is different from rolling an inflatable, but I happen to know that it’s all in the hip snap hips come up first head comes up last right, i have been doing rolling lessons in the pool in a hard shell and plan on practicing with an inflatable.

I don’t think a robot-operated social media news aggregator is a reliable source for whitewater kayaking advice. Or for any other topic.

Rookie why don’t you turn off the news and check reddit out for yourself?

That said the kayaking subreddit is made up of about 10% experienced paddlers, 20% novice paddlers, and 70% extreme novice paddlers (like paddled less than a few times).

If you post there you are likely to get some good advice but in general I think there are more people there asking questions than looking to answer them. This site is a better resource.

You don’t have to choose… So often I see the same post on multiple boards. But what I don’t see much here is use of inflatable kayaks. They seem to be very popular in Europe so I would ask on www.songofthepaddle.uk.
I agree with Rookie the front news page is awful… But the kayak forums seem to be filled with genuine people who aren’t dumb

@JCorr said:
Rookie why don’t you turn off the news and check reddit out for yourself?

That said the kayaking subreddit is made up of about 10% experienced paddlers, 20% novice paddlers, and 70% extreme novice paddlers (like paddled less than a few times).

If you post there you are likely to get some good advice but in general I think there are more people there asking questions than looking to answer them. This site is a better resource.

I did. Lead article was “11 year old smarter than medical doctor.”

tough rolling a ducky (whitewater inflatable kayak). Seen it done in person (thrill seeker with foam floor) but that’s about all I can say about it. You are gonna want some good thigh straps and a really stiff floor to even have a shot at it. The classic ww duckie video is “Token of My Extreme” check it out on youtube. Gotta love some footage of a thrillseeker blasting a hole and running past sieves.

Take a closer look.

https://reddit.com/r/thatHappened/comments/8jchh1/11_year_old_smarter_than_medical_doctor/

Ok… You are in the advice section . Advice for paddling … and hijacking your subject. Now it fits better elsewhere in Paddlers Place.

I don’t think any internet site is a reliable source of advice. They all suffer from misinformation to same degree. It takes some time to learn well who are the people with real knowledge.

I agree wholeheartedly with Steve.
NO internet site is a reliable source of advice; including this one.
Seldom do you have any knowledge whatsoever of the person giving the advice.

The problem as I see it, is too many people searching for “easy” verbal solutions ( quick fix) to problems that can’t be resolved by seeking advice on a website. The solution to the problems more often require both physical experimentation & mental effort, time & money spent in training, and actual river experience. Throw in a big helping of common sense…

In the grand scheme of things; whether or not you can roll any type of kayak is not much of an issue. A novice can learn that skill quite quickly. On the other hand; learning just that particular skill prepares nobody for Class IV whitewater. There is a vast difference between having a reliable roll in a swimming pool, on a flat water river, or a whitewater park, and having a reliable, class IV, “combat” roll.

Kind of like having a black belt in karate, but never having engaged in a real fight with someone whose goal is not to sparring in a controlled setting. They want an ambulance to have to come & scape you off the sidewalk, where they left you. They’re “class IV” people!

Lots of time is wasted, but few skills are ever attained on the internet.

BOB

I think a local kayak club is a better information source. Look for the knowledgeable old hand and get your info in person. Then Branch out for new ideas.

Master the basics then go for the unusual .

@Overstreet said:
I think a local kayak club is a better information source. Look for the knowledgeable old hand and get your info in person. Then Branch out for new ideas.

Easily said if you live in an area where there are such clubs. Many do not. The experienced “old hand” where I purchased my first kayak told me I didn’t need to wear my PFD - just carry it on the boat. While that’s the base legal requirement, it’s lousy and potentially life-threatening advice.

As to the “reliability” of advice given here, I’ve always received terrific help with my questions relating to technique, outfitting, and safety. I’m grateful for that, know the qualifications of many who are giving it, and when they respond, I pay close attention and carry out their suggestions to see how they work for me. I’ve never been disappointed and a few times, the advice given here was better than what I received in class.

As Steve noted, if you hang around a while and read, you can easily figure out those with excellent creds. Some even use their real names.

@Rookie said:

@Overstreet said:

Easily said if you live in an area where there are such clubs. Many do not.

He is kayaking in Ok. white water parks. They’re probably got ACA instructors on staff.
https://www.canoekayak.com/news/industry-updates/oklahoma-city-gets-60-million-for-a-whitewater-park/
http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/oklahoma/kayak-park-ok/
https://s2odesign.com/projects/oklahoma-city-riversport-rapids-whitewater-center/
http://www.oklahomakayak.com/aboutus.asp

There’s also a thread on Paddling.com about clubs in Ok City.

Sure, Rookie, one of the clubs or sales dudes you went to was a dud. But words on the internet are no substitute for hands on experience, on site mentoring, actual boat handling, and positive/negative reinforcement of when you do good/bad.

@Overstreet said:

Sure, Rookie, one of the clubs or sales dudes you went to was a dud. But words on the internet are no substitute for hands on experience, on site mentoring, actual boat handling, and positive/negative reinforcement of when you do good/bad.

No clubs in this region except for one 70 miles south made up of rec boats. Was a sales dude who claimed to have years and years of experience.

Absolutely seat time is a good teacher. Coaching from qualified individuals is priceless when you can find it. But I’d never discount the Internet (or books) given all I’ve learned, or online technique videos by experts. An example: I never would have learned a sideslip were it not for Roger Schumann’s videos and helpful answers here when I had some questions. It wasn’t taught in any ACA class or symposium I’ve attended (although it should have been).

I don’t look at paddlers as “good/bad.” I see efficiency or inefficiency; elegance or inelegance.

I agree with all that, but from the internet you also get odd roll foam paddle floats, pre-roll hip snap ideas and inflatable white water boats. I cannot count the times I’ve encountered someone that can talk a good line, but can’t produce “hands on” in person as good as the “advertised” skills.

If it isn’t already taught in early school, separating the online wheat from the chaff should be given high priority in the education stream.

Once you can distinguish between the two, there’s a lot of good information to be had. But the more you learn, the more you realize the ratio of good to bad is pretty low.