hi n dry rolling aid

http://www.shaftfloat.com/ what do you guys say about this thing for people who have problems rolling a kayak, cause I would like one of these. where to buy.

I would just use a paddle float as an aid to help with rolling.

A large pool noodle may works as well, and be a lot cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/Hi-N-Dry-Kayak-Rolling-Aid/dp/B00AEFBZ4G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526431221&sr=8-3&keywords=hi+and+dry+kayak

@Gamer202 said:
http://www.shaftfloat.com/ what do you guys say about this thing for people who have problems rolling a kayak, cause I would like one of these. where to buy.

You can order it from the site you linked. Cheaper than Amazon.

If you want one go get it. But it might be better to put that money into lessons and just learn to roll. That thing is just going to be in the way any other time than when trying to learn to roll. AND most of the people using it don’t appear to be using good technique from this sea-kayaker’s perspective.

Not that. The gadget that got me rolling is the Greenland paddle. Best rolling aid you can buy IMHO.

Gamer202 -
I am surprised your post has not been flagged by now since it is obviously marketing. And not particularly smart - you ask where to get it and there is an order link on the site you list. I also don’t see any indication of your presence on pnet until two days before this post, unless I missed something.

The only thing that shifts this is your prior post about renting kayaks for WW. You may be trying to do WW without learning how. No one here is going to tell you that is a good idea.

I am disposed to leave this unflagged since you have that other post up and it seems people want to chat about whether it is a good idea. (Which it is not.) But cool it on any more posts that read like straight marketing.

Aids like this are only good for early learning and practice if you can’t find a helper. An assistant is always the best way.

In situations where you actually need to roll, don’t depend on a “gadget”. Skills take longer and require more effort to develop but there’s a lot more satisfaction to it than just giving your credit card number to Amazon - or wherever.

Those who aren’t willing to put in the “seat time” to hone their skills should stay in the shallow end of the pool.

the way to form a lot of bad habits…and little for skills. It will also catch the water all wrong in rough stuff…no feel for the blades either. I think BAD is the word of the day.

well it’s fine with me if you don’t want something to help you be able to roll a kayak and not be able to do class iv for years, but I’m buying it and I’m gonna use this to help me roll the kayak, and eventually roll without it, but it has great reviews on amazon and guy on facebook owns one and loves it so don’t be surprised if it explodes and a lot of people start using it especially disabled people who probably won’t ever be able to roll a kayak with out it, it would be like teaching a kid to ride a bike without training wheels.

This device has actually been around for years. I am guessing I first saw devices of this type on the internet around 5 years ago, perhaps more. I have paddled whitewater with hundreds (probably thousands) of kayakers. I have never seen anyone use this device on the water or seen one in the flesh. Needless to say, its use has not “exploded”.

The problem that I see for this device being used as a roll aid is that it seems to emphasize all the wrong mechanics of the roll and minimize all of the important ones. The kayak roll depends on movements of the trunk and neck, and properly done these require minimizing the amount of pressure applied to the paddle. A device of this type might possibly allow you to successfully roll a kayak sooner, but once you shed it I suspect you would take longer developing a proper roll, having developed a lot of bad habits.

Whitewater often requires one to switch sides to roll when the first attempt is unsuccessful, by sweeping the paddle underwater beneath the boat. I suspect this device would make that quite difficult.

If your goal is to run Class IV whitewater in a kayak, I think you would be wise to listen to the opinions of experienced whitewater boaters rather than poo-poo them.

Dumbest “accessory” I have ever seen. Probably even dangerous since that bulky thing not only inhibits your forward vision but would prevent you from sliding your hands along the paddle shaft to adjust loom positioning for some kinds of bracing and other moves. Plus all of the actions shown in the video could be accomplished EXACTLY the same without that thing on the shaft. I see NO indication that the “float” is assisting in that roll. I can balance brace on my side with a standard blade or Greenland paddle with no effort or chunk of oversized pool noodle on my paddle, exactly as is being demonstrated on the ad site. In fact I could do every technique shown there with my regular paddles. With just a little instruction most people can do them even without a paddle in any decent sea kayak. The only use I can see for this is to use on it’s own as an avataq, which is the small inflated sealskin that native Greenland kayakers use as a buoyancy aid for carcasses when they hunt or as a rolling aid on it’s own for assisted hand rolls without a paddle.

I also share Roy and Sparky’s concern that using this would only lead to bad habits, even dangerous ones if the false sense of security from using this pool toy lead people to get in over their heads.

By the way, if anyone was curious enough to try this all they would have to do is buy a thick pool noodle (I have several this diameter in my basement that I cut up to use for cockpit adjustments), slice it part way and tape it around a shaft. Cost: about $3 and 5 minutes. And I expect they would find it just as useless as this thing is.

In case you keep being indignant, you did ask for feedback from people who understand kayaking. A fool and his money are soon parted.

Note that the “endorsements” on the Amazon listing not only sound suspicious but date to 2012 and 2013. If this was really such a fantastic innovation there would have been more recent (and realistic looking) feedback by now.

Also, most of the “endorsements” on the maker’s site are more along the lines of “this looks cool” rather than actual user reports. And again, many years old.

People have used paddle floats (a safety item most serious kayakers have along) for some sorts of practice, but if anyone felt this sort of thing was a good idea for everyday paddling out on the water, don’t you think many of them would paddle with their floats permanently stuck on the paddle loom? The fact that nobody does should indicate that this is a dumb idea.

Seriously. Save your money and do what Peter-CA said. Use a paddle float.

Gamer202 -
I am very close calling a flag this your posts. In an earlier post you asked about renting because you did not want to buy one.

Then in this post you are determined to use this device to help roll the kayak and go on a barely literate rant about how it help lots of other people. What kayak? No one in their right mind would put you on WW in a rented kayakvif you showed up this.

Either you are doing a poor job of presenting your own concerns or are trying to sneak in marketing. I am feeling far less patience than the others on this board.

Hey Celia, if this guy is marketing it must be to promote paddle floats or Greenland paddles or roll lessons. Everyone is disparaging the funny noodle attachment.

I can see one benefit with using this device when you (Gamer202) paddle your class IV whitewater. It will be much easier to locate your paddle when you become separated from it when you swim or it gets ripped out of your hands.

@Gamer202 said:
well it’s fine with me if you don’t want something to help you be able to roll a kayak and not be able to do class iv for years, but I’m buying it and I’m gonna use this to help me roll the kayak, and eventually roll without it, but it has great reviews on amazon and guy on facebook owns one and loves it so don’t be surprised if it explodes and a lot of people start using it especially disabled people who probably won’t ever be able to roll a kayak with out it, it would be like teaching a kid to ride a bike without training wheels.

You remind me of a guy that claimed to be “a former Navy Seal” on one of Willow’s stories.

Rex and others -
Agree the guy is doing more damage than good for this product. But if it were the same kind of post promoting an otherwise useful idea someone would have flagged it quite quickly. Gamer202 needs to find a less shaky approach.

@Gamer202 said:

Ah yes, another truly dumb idea that’s been turned into an unnecessary, hideously-overpriced crutch that will end up collecting dust in a closet or garage in short order.

You cannot buy your way to kayaking skills and expertise through gimmicky equipment; it takes time, work and experience. As others suggested, spend the money on instruction and you’ll be way ahead of the game. If you’re not willing to make that commitment, stick to paddling a rec boat around a pond.

BTW, teaching kids to ride a bike without training wheels is the preferred method these days, as it’s been shown that starting them with a strider-type bike - or using a standard bike without pedals in a strider mode - actually teaches kids the balance skills they need to ride. Training wheels don’t and you can learn to ride much quicker without them…

All that said, based on how adamant the quote above is, I’ll bet that the poster is connected to the company and this is just a sleazy marketing ploy for a piece of junk that they haven’t been able to sell for the past 6 years.