I might have an idea on what to do before you flip.

You know in the roll you use the hip snap with the head coming up last maybe you could throw in the hip snap before the boat flip, say you feel the boat going sideways and before it’s upside down then put in the hip snap. Is that the combat roll.

I’m trying to decide between labeling you a troll, or assuming you’re a child.

1. Get yourself a boat
  2. Get some basic qualified instruction
  3. Get some experience

You’re wasting your time asking the wrong questions.

With Sparky on this one. Really thinking that this is a troll waiting to see how long it takes people to figure the not subtle hint from the screen name. Or a child or a young person of the male persuasion trying to figure out how to impress friends who can already kayak. Rolls are irrelevant for someone who hasn’t even gotten wet.

Get lessons and come back when you have any idea what you are talking about.

Possibly a bored member of B&B?

Maybe. I don’t do B&B so don’t know if it can get boring. But this is flat out silly.

Isn’t there a head dink and hip snap when you high brace? You brace to prevent a capsize. You roll when you fail.

You can do a head dink with either a high or low brace from either a canoe or kayak.

Reminds me of Pammy.

Thanks. Yes your right, and I think with the hip snap this might be what he is trying to convey. Using your body and paddle in sync and efficiently is what actual paddling is about.
Lessons in the beginning are worth every penny. Best money to spend when starting out. I know everyone looks at paddling and says “There’s nothing to it. I can do that!”. They are correct with the second sentence, and wrong with the first!

How is your roll Castoff?

Are you saying I need to loss wight??? It is intermittent, but i can get back in if conditions aren’t too rough. If they are then stay close to a lee shore, or go another day.

No, you do not use “hip snap” to prevent a roll, you use various kinds of paddle bracing and control of the hull angle by keeping your hips loose and orienting your body, as you would in downhill skiing.

As others have already correctly noted, you are wasting your own time and ours speculating about a sport that you really have not yet tried. Stop perseverating about what whitewater kayaking is going to be like and sign up for proper instruction by a qualified guide.

You can’t learn any sport by reading about it or guessing about what it “might” feel like to experience.

@willowleaf said:
No, you do not use “hip snap” to prevent a roll, you use various kinds of paddle bracing and control of the hull angle by keeping your hips loose and orienting your body, as you would in downhill skiing.

As others have already correctly noted, you are wasting your own time and ours speculating about a sport that you really have not yet tried. Stop perseverating about what whitewater kayaking is going to be like and sign up for proper instruction by a qualified guide.

You can’t learn any sport by reading about it or guessing about what it “might” feel like to experience.

I AGREE!!!

@Celia said:
… or a young person of the male persuasion trying to figure out how to impress friends …

We had such an expert on a local fishing web site. The older members gave him similar treatment. He came around and started doing positive things. Not long ago he was organizing fishing tournaments to benefit cancer research. There’s hope…

All guys go through the dumb stages.

Don’t overthink it. One thing I’ve heard a hundred times since I started on here (I don’t quite have dinosaur status like some do), is that once you develop a good roll, you will be less likely to flip in the first place and will feel more secure in touchy situations simply because your ability to brace becomes a lot more automatic during the process of learning to roll.

As to other people’s comments, I find it hard to even believe in “subtle” trolls. That might mean I am naive, but one thing I DO know is that it’s very common for young males who are first getting enthusiastic about a new hobby to carefully work out all sorts of possibilities in their head before they have the kind of hands-on experience to think more in terms of reality. I’m positive that that’s what the situation was with “P140”, and became especially certain once he admitted to having been diagnosed with a common emotional disorder that actually causes one to assign unusual importance to relatively ordinary objects, and I always felt bad for the way a good number of folks reacted to what I always saw as perfectly innocent enthusiasm.

Above all, avoid perseverating–what ever that is.

“Obsessive fretting” is a fair equivalent. Dictionary says “Perseveration is defined as the tendency of an idea to stick in your mind or recur, or getting stuck on something mentally and not being able to shift gears.”

Have known folks with OCD and Asperger’s Syndrome – this can be a serious cognitive problem for some people over which they have little or no control. But I think what we have here is is just as GBG observes: youthful enthusiasm about a new sport combined with some anxiety about gaining skills. Finding an experienced group that can include and mentor him would be the best course. That’s how most of us old fogies learned.

@magooch said:
Above all, avoid perseverating–what ever that is.

Yeah, you will grow hair on your palms which will mess up your ability to grip a paddle

Which all comes around to the word “flip”. Isn’t that a very action word. How many of y’all “flip” when you capsize instead of just rolling over? Even in surf kayaking you don’t see that much “flipping”. Sure some you tubes show it but how many of us actually flip?

I think the most common before you “flip” is an expletive that basically translated means, “OH No!”.