Auto inflatable pfd

I have been using a Cabela’s auto inflating pfd for the last few years while fishing from a canoe in the summer. They are so much cooler and less cumbersome. Last week I had one go off and inflate in the back of my car. I had been wearing it earlier in the day but did not get it particularly wet. The folks at Cabela’s said that they can inflate when exposed to high humidity and it has been horribly hot and humid for the last couple weeks. I decided to invest another $30 in a new inflator, but this did get me wondering. Is is common for these units to just go off? Anyone else had this happen? I will tell you it is quite a thrill to have one explode in the back seat.
David

Yes. I had one go off in the console storage unit of a center console fishing boat. If you read the long fine print in the owners manual is says this happens. It also says don’t sit on them. Puncture or get near fire or flame. :o Interesting why they use the fire or flame considering one is like the other.

Thank you for yet another reason to use a traditional foam PFD.

Okay. Have been using a manual one that I got from Orvis 20 years ago. I use it flying fishing class II/III rivers and don’t have to worry about accidental deployment. Lately, have been using it in the recent heat wave for pond/lake fishing in my canoe. Way, way more tolerable in the heat than wearing a traditional PFD.

Had been thinking about getting an auto but will likely not. Obviously, an auto is intended to be safer as it preempts decision making in a stressful situation (or when someone is rendered unconscious). For my applications, I’ll risk sticking to the manual version. (Note - as a ww kayaker and a year-round waveski surfer in new england, I am used to and pretty confident that I don’t panic in an expected capsize.)

sing

How about an unexpected capsize?

@string said:

Ya, that totally wouldn’t work for the sort of 360° paddling I do.

@string said:

An “expected capsize” is call practice.

sing

Not a bad idea for a sailboat where you could easily get knocked unconscious by a boom, but not really for kayaks.

And of course, if it inflates when you don’t really need it what happens if you need it again in the same outing? Carry a few spare CO2 cartridges all the time?

@kfbrady said:
Not a bad idea for a sailboat where you could easily get knocked unconscious by a boom, but not really for kayaks.

And of course, if it inflates when you don’t really need it what happens if you need it again in the same outing? Carry a few spare CO2 cartridges all the time?

My manual has a blow tube. In 3-4 breaths, I am sufficiently buoyant for warm weather and flat water conditions. I should state that I don’t use an inflatable PFD for ocean kayaking. Just for hot weather on local lakes and ponds (as I just did for several hours of bass fishing on a nearby pond in the canoe).

sing

Inflatables are class V pfd. In most states that have to be worn to be in the official pfd count during boardings. …LE boardings. …pirate boardings is an other matter.

@sing said:

@kfbrady said:

My manual has a blow tube. In 3-4 breaths, I am sufficiently buoyant for warm weather and flat water conditions. I should state that I don’t use an inflatable PFD for ocean kayaking. Just for hot weather on local lakes and ponds (as I just did for several hours of bass fishing on a nearby pond in the canoe).

sing

Yes, they all have a manual inflate option, but if the second event is also an unexpected capsize, there could be problems. I do think an inflatable PFD is a whole lot better than no PFD at all and in fact I have one, but since buying a couple of properly fitting PFDs (a Kokatat and an NRS) I have never worn the inflatable Hobie-branded one I have at all.

I can not imagine using an inflatable pfd for serious kayaking. Often banging into waves will drench the bottom of a pfd and having an accidental discharge under those conditions would be rather distracting. But they sure are nice as you work a shoreline for largemouth bass on a hot summer day.
David

I have never worn an auto-inflating type, I’ve worn inflatables on commercial tours in New Zealand and Scandinavia. I got to sail on a replica viking age boat in Denmark several years ago, we all were wearing inflatables, and after the crew instructed everybody how to inflate their vests if needed a little girl dutifully inflated hers, her mother’s , then her father’s and was trying real hard to inflate the crew members vest who was trying to stop her. If I remember right the crew member said she set off something like $120 worth of cartridges that have to be government certified and inspected so expensive for commercial use there.

Well first being able to swim proficiently is a must for all on the water activities. I never use auto-inflating PFDs, I want the control. I use my inflatable only when fishing from a fishing boat. For all other water sports I buy a good PFD made for active sporting. I sail, row, canoe, kayak, raft to name a few. A very important factor is being comfortable in water situations. Experience and proper instruction is important. Panic is often what takes peoples lives. I have many rescues successful and unsuccessful in my experience. When I taught you swim test all those in your class, no short cuts. Never rely solely on a PFD for survival.

As far as unexpected (capsize), well through your training you should expect the unexpected and be capable of taking the correct actions. The more dangerous to the more training and experience one needs.

Just an FYI, not all inflatables are type V. Some models including belt pack models are type III. I personally wouldn’t consider an auto-inflate option for kayaking, but I often use my manual, belt pack inflatable for flatwater kayak/surf ski races / training in the heat. Whether they are “safe” or “wise to use” depends on many factors including location, conditions, application and common sense.

This sailor’s inflatable didn’t when he needed it most. Lake Michigan claims another life.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-mackinac-boater-search-20180722-story.html#