How to behave after a capsize deep in a surf zone?

I’d like to know what is the best course of action If I capsize and get separated from my boat in the surf zone?
The probable scenario is that I’m wiped out by 4-5 foot breakers while paddling a Scupper Pro, in Mediterranean (70-80°F water), with a PFD on.

Should I actively swim to the shore? Or let the waves take me and conserve the energy?
Should I try to dive when a larger wave breaks over, or try to use it?
If, while landing, I encounter a surf which I feel is too much for me to handle, is it safer to try and land anyway (and swim if capsized) or get out before the breaking zone, push the kayak until it’s taken by the waves and follow it by swimming?

I’ve capsized a few times in a SINK sea kayak, when paddling with a group, but always close to the shore.

I would swim to shore, and bodysurf if a wave allows.

Duck diving under waves is hard to do with a PFD on, so may not be effective.

Not sure about swim in or try to paddle in. If it is that bad, I’d look for other options for landing (protected areas, areas with smaller surf, etc). But without those, I’d probably take a shot at riding the boat in.

Hopefully this happens at a section of beach that doesn’t have swimmers/waders, as a boat in surf could be dangerous.

Worth saying, always stay on the ocean side of a boat, if you are hanging on, or when you initially get separated.

4-5’ waves really isn’t life threatening, especially if you have on your PFD, and you don’t panicked. Just relax, take your time and swim slowly in while keeping an eye out for the next wave coming behind you. Use those waves to help body surf you in. If the waves are dumping (with a really hollowed face), don’t try to swim or body surf when the wave is ready to break on you. Just take a breath, relax, and let the break take you. You may want to curl a bit into a ball and cover your head with you hands if you don’t have a helmet on. A dumping break can toss you around and drive you towards the bottom (and why you need to protect your head. PFD provides cushioning for you torso.) Once the energy passes and/or dissipates, you’ll pop back up. If you are relax, you’ll likely never get to the point of feeling that you have burned up the oxygen in your lungs (That sense of running out of air happens much quicker in cold water and why one really has learn to stay relaxed). The good thing is that if the waves are breaking on you, then the energy is taking you in. If you notice you in area where the waves are not breaking but are on either side of you, then you are likely in a rip. Swim yourself to where the waves are breaking so you can make progress towards shore.

In terms of trying to land in a surf zone where you have doubt about your ability to do so safely, the simple answer is DON’T. Find a safer and more protected spot. On most coastlines, there is going to be a nook or cranny when the wave action is less intense.

sing

Please be wearing a helmet - reduces the risks.
I had the capsize record for the group in my first time out in surf, though there was competition since half the group was inexperienced in surf. The area had just had the tail end of a hurricane come thru so conditions were unusually interesting for that beach. A lot of people made it out to where the waves were up to 4.5 ft (coaches’ estimate), a smaller percentage made it back in still in their boats.

So I spent the day landing as a swimmer. And it was very wet and frothy but just fine as far as personal safety. The worst part was the strength of closeness of the waves made it much harder to hang onto the boat. I never lost my paddle but my boat had to be retrieved by others more often that I would have liked. I eventually found that coming in sideways meant the capsizes happened closer to shore so I could better hang onto the boat.

I agree with the comment above that much of what works for body surfing fails when wearing a PFD. I body surfed as a kid on the Jersey shore, and was enjoying being in the waves. But I was a floater more than anything else because of the PFD.

Swimming in is perfectly acceptable.

If you are bringing the boat in, as well, hold onto the bow or stern handle and stay behind the boat. Leaving a boat in the surf zone where it may well be hurled into someone due to wave action is pretty unwelcome behavior. Leave it only if it cannot be controlled or if you are unable to swim and manage the hull due to injury (a shoulder injury, for example, may qualify as a decent reason).

Better is to learn to handle the boat so that you can enter the surf zone and not capsize. Knee braces on SOT kayaks make this more doable. 4.5 ft waves are big, but can be fun to surf once you learn to time waves and control the boat. Until then, learning to enter on the backs of waves is something that can be done (in narrow surf zones) where you paddle just fast enough to stay behind the break of the wave.

Rick

Maybe you should just put your kayak gear on and go to the beach for a swim.

Re above comment on loose boats, yes it is unwelcome. While I was not the only one whose boat got loose, everyone was being very careful in terms of spot along the beach and timing. So we had no loose boat collisions.

BUT we also had a few people along the beach at all times who were watching for emergencies or taking a break because the day was cold and raw. So these folks were grabbing some boats as they came in. If you are doing this without other people around to help corral boats, you should stay closer in where a capsize can be better controlled.

Sounds like maybe a surf board, or WW sink would be the better vehicle.

I tried to surf my Tarpon 3 times. No thigh straps.
First attempt: I fell out on the right side and got bonked on the head .
Second attempt: I fell out to the left and got bonked.
Third attempt: It started to dump me so I jumped off.

Surfers had their own stretch of beach. And if you are going to sea kayak you have to be able to land in surf if caught in imperfect conditions.

@magooch said:

Having tried surfing sit-in whitewater kayaks in ocean surf near the shore, I think a sit-on-top is a much better idea. Sure, you will probably need good straps and foot pegs for control.

In a SINK if you capsize in beach break you can really get hammered. It is often too shallow at the bars where breaking waves form to set up to roll and even exiting the boat can be tricky. Having exited, the boat will become as full of water as possible and very heavy and hard to control. By the time you get it to dry shore and dump it it will be full of sand, and will remain so for some degree for several months.

@pblanc said:

@magooch said:

In a SINK if you capsize in beach break you can really get hammered. It is often too shallow at the bars where breaking waves form to set up to roll and even exiting the boat can be tricky. Having exited, the boat will become as full of water as possible and very heavy and hard to control. By the time you get it to dry shore and dump it it will be full of sand, and will remain so for some degree for several months.

On August 5, Freya’s expedition kayak broke in half during a surf landing - while she was in it. She exited safely and fortunately no lasting injuries to her, but the boat is trashed.

@lamxuyen said:
…The probable scenario is that I’m wiped out by 4-5 foot breakers while paddling a Scupper Pro, in Mediterranean (70-80°F water), with a PFD on…

1. Ocean Kayak, Scupper Pro…my experience is that this SOT will likely capsize in 3-5ft waves, or less. My
    Ocean Kayak Terra capsizes very well. Just grab the boat it will take you to the beach. My Terra has grab handles at the cockpit. Stay on ocean side.

2. Mediterranean waves…I’ve never paddled there. Most of the people here haven’t either. Suspect they are mild. I’ve done the Pacific@ Hawaii, Gulf @ Fla Panhandle, Atlantic Fla to SC, and now Lake Superior. They do not have a standard wave equal in all places.

For example, 4to5 feet …waves
A. In Hawaii…could be a calm day. All driven by long sea swells. My 8 months preganate wife skippered a Rhodes 19, during a race in 8-9 ft seas. No big deal.
B. In Lake Superior…are you crazy?!!. You’re gonna die. Short steep confused waves on short interval. We quit at 2 ft.
C. Gulf of Mexico, Fla… Where’s the tropical storm?

So always temper the free advice.

@Overstreet said:
Maybe you should just put your kayak gear on and go to the beach for a swim.

You won’t develope these skills with talk. Go do it.

“How to behave”?

Be humble.

@Guideboatguy said:
“How to behave”?

Be humble.

Might as well because of you aren’t, the surf will do it for you.

@Overstreet said:
For example, 4to5 feet …waves
A. In Hawaii…could be a calm day. All driven by long sea swells. My 8 months preganate wife skippered a Rhodes 19, during a race in 8-9 ft seas. No big deal.
B. In Lake Superior…are you crazy?!!. You’re gonna die. Short steep confused waves on short interval. We quit at 2 ft.

:smiley: haha, you may not die but I don’t think you could stay in a scupper pro either. You’re right though, ocean people dont realize what 4-5 foot means on Lake Superior. 2-3 is perfect for learning skills, on a safe beach with good coaches. 2-4 can be fun for the adventurous willing to learn, but your roll will definitely get tested. I’ ve seen fairly inexperienced people attempt 4-5 footers on Lake Superior and if they are strong and fearless in the water they can get away with it but I would never recommend trying it on your own. The problem is when there are 4-5 footers there are usually a few 6 footers and those can be intimidating to almost anyone. But in the right place with the right skills and people they can also be fun. But very very different from ocean 6 footers, because there’s another and another and another all in quick succession.

To the above- what has not been discussed a lot here is the period of the waves. how many seconds trough to trough (though crest to crest is usually easier to count)…
Ocean waves often have longer periods than lake waves of the same height. So period matters in recovery, and whether a set of waves is a good idea for practice or a time to enjoy seeing the power of water from the beach.

All too true. Padding ocean swell is loads of fun, but paddling in clapotois (rebound waves) with short periods can be as much work as it is fun. Confused water is a serious challenge, but it is great for learning how to handle a boat and maintain balance.

Surf in N. Cal. is typically characterized as dumping. Short fast waves that build and dump within a few feet of steep beaches. Lots of tide rips and rebound from irregular (rocky) shorelines. In some places, landing can be extremely difficult and should be avoided. I don’t have experience in the great lakes, but the cold water and short wave periods sure sound pretty familiar :).

Now, I admit that I don’t seek out more challenging surf conditions like I used to, so seeking out and paddling Superior (especially as autumn closes in) isn’t something I’ll do soon. From all accounts, however, it isn’t something to be taken lightly.

Some video of kayaking in Superior. Action in more challenging water starts about 3 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=560iCKDrmA8