Attention New Posters!

When you ask for help, please realize that you are asking people who are typically a bit long in the tooth.
We have been there, done that in spades and have the scars to prove it.
Think of us as gruff, but kindly, relatives who have your safety in mind. Realize also that we have lost paddling friends, sometimes in tragic circumstances and don’t want to lose anyone else.
Don’t get your knickers in a wad when you ask a question with an obvious answer and the response is “Duh”. We undoubtedly did the same.
Happy, SAFE, paddling.

Thanks string. Well said.

…and we are all over the country.

And a finer group of people you’ll never meet. Seriously.

Well, DUH!

:wink:

Yes, well said.

I would add (to the new posters) that if you ask for advice or have a question, please have the courtesy to acknowledge the responses. Often we provide lengthy information to new participants and then they vanish with no feedback – we have no idea if they were helped (or hindered) or even if they read the posts at all, which can be frustrating.

We also like to hear what folks end up doing – share your continuing experiences as you get into the sport so that others can benefit from what you learn!

This discussion needs to be made “sticky” so it doesn’t start fading away in a few days.

We’re just the ones who escaped Darwins Wrath and were granted the privilege to be able to learn and the opportunity to pass on our learning and experiences to others.

There are things I am apparently incapable of learning, mostly along the lines of communication with my wife.

@Guideboatguy said:
This discussion needs to be made “sticky” so it doesn’t start fading away in a few days.

Only Brian can do that. Easier way is to bump it back to the top every week or so.

@willowleaf said:
Yes, well said.

I would add (to the new posters) that if you ask for advice or have a question, please have the courtesy to acknowledge the responses. Often we provide lengthy information to new participants and then they vanish with no feedback – we have no idea if they were helped (or hindered) or even if they read the posts at all, which can be frustrating.

We also like to hear what folks end up doing – share your continuing experiences as you get into the sport so that others can benefit from what you learn!

That’s one of my “Pet peaves.” I type…s l o w l y… and when I take a half an hour or more trying to help someone and end up seemingly talking to myself, it is frustrating. It’s one of the reasons I rarely post in the forum like I once did.

@wildernesswebb said:

@willowleaf said:
Yes, well said.

That’s one of my “Pet peaves.” I type…s l o w l y… and when I take a half an hour or more trying to help someone and end up seemingly talking to myself, it is frustrating. It’s one of the reasons I rarely post in the forum like I once did.

I got you beat !
I take an hour or more correcting my mistakes, the words that I have connecting to each other, the letters that are missing, the capitals that are missing, etc, etc.

As a matter of fact I had to go back and correct at least a dozen of them just in my above sentence.
Maybe it’s and age thing

I would like to add that our responses assume the worst when you don’t give a clear description of type of paddling you want to do.

When you say river, if you don’t specify, we don’t know if you are talking flat water wide creek that barely has an current, or talking about going through Lava Falls on the Grand Canyon. Same for lake - much different world if the lake you are on is a few acres in size, versus something where it is miles (or more across).

And though you may want a boat that can do everything well (run whitewater, fish from, cover distances on ocean, and camp for a month out of), that doesn’t exist. So feel free to list all of what you’d love, but also specify which one or two are most important.

Bump.

BUMP

Another suggestion: sometimes folks ask a question but write it the “activity” box on the personal page containing their user name, icon/photo, and any personal info they care to share.

If that question or comment is meant to be seen by the community, it must be written in one of the categories within the message boards

Bump

I never knew so many “long-in-the-tooths” still danced the Bump?

Must be supplanting the Chicken Dance at all those post-nuptial soiree.

(“We’re gonna need a few more hip replacements here, Henry!”)

Things that go bump in the night may take on a new meaning!

@canoeswithduckheads said:
I never knew so many “long-in-the-tooths” still danced the Bump?

Must be supplanting the Chicken Dance at all those post-nuptial soiree.

(“We’re gonna need a few more hip replacements here, Henry!”)

I used to do the bump , the dance, with my daughter when they had music in Home Depot. Only when an aisle was deserted.