Essential an optional gear for new sea kayaker.

Bought my first sea kayak today along with paddle, pfd, and skirt. I patronized a local shop as I believe it’s important to get good advise and buy good stuff rather than trying to save a dime buying online. I believe in the old adage “buy cheap, buy twice.” That’s the minimum I need but I’m wondering what little stuff I might want.

I forgot to ask about a hand pump. That’s something I’d buy online as it’s only a $20-30 item but I’d want one someone recommeded as being reliable… Think I need one? Any recommendations?

I don’t have a backup paddle. I wouldn’t worry about it when practing in the local pond and I won’t be in more open water without joining a group and I bet few people would have an extra. I’m wondering how critical it is to have my own, I saw $20 paddles at Ocean State Job Lot, two-piece AL shaft and plastic blade. I’d be embarrassed to walk around with one except would it make a difference having a super cheapie for aback up?

I’m thinking a waterproof box with some first aid stuff would be easy to put together.

Anything else I should consider?

(Clothing, wetsuits, etc. is a whole another topic I’d address separately.)

Oh, I should mention that I bough the a 10 or 15 L dry bag to keep wallet keys phone lunch etc. a while back when I first started renting and taking lessons.

I would wait until you want to upgrade your paddle and then make the first one your spare.

The paddle I is Werner shauna carbon shaft glass blade, maybe not a “platinum” paddle but I don’t anticipate needing to upgrade…

@l2t said:
The paddle I is Werner shauna carbon shaft glass blade, maybe not a “platinum” paddle but I don’t anticipate needing to upgrade…

B)

Congrats on your new gear! Which kayak did you choose?

USCG requires you carry a whistle and a signaling device, if you don’t already have them. A hunk of a cut-up compact disc is reflective.

Also very important is an “if found” label inside your cockpit with your name and contact info. Pnet sells them for $2. That’s the cost of the label and shipping. The labels are reflective. https://paddling.com/store/uscg-if-found-sticker/

As to the bilge pump, yes, you should carry one and a paddle float, preferably a dual-chambered one. Even if you’re an expert at rolling, sometimes rolls fail and the float can help you get back in your boat. Or help someone else out. Seattle Sports makes good products. Their bilge pump floats. SS also makes a dual chambered paddle float.

While reading the “Deep Trouble” books I learned that if you don’t have it on you, you don’t have it. So I carry a tethered car key (I had a valet key made, which unlocks the door only) in a PFD pocket and my cell phone in a small waterproof bag, also attached to me. My wallet and car keys are hidden in my car. I.D. on me is an expired driver’s license.

Not sure if I’d trust a paddle that sold for $16 new. Carlisle, which is in the paddle business, makes a low cost one. Or you could scout for used paddles in your area. If you have woodworking tools, you could make a Greenland paddle out of a 2 x 4.

Wishing you many happy paddling hours in your new boat

Perhaps more than you want to read:
lposka.7ich.com/home/safety-gear

Shuna is a good paddle. That is what I use most of the time. That said, I have found that over the years I prefer shorter paddles, so I have the 230cm Shuna I first bought as a spare to the 205cm I now use. Actually it is a spare to a spare, as I usually carry another 205 cm I have (a Corryvrecken) as my regular spare to the Shuna.

Assuming you have taken, or will take, an into class, they will teach you how to do a paddle float solo recovery. To do that,you will need to purchase one to go with the bilge pump you mentioned. I prefer dual chamber inflatable paddle floats. On bilge pumps, any of the name brand ones out there should be fine.

Make sure you have a whistle on your PFD. lLegal requirement in most areas to have a noise making device, and whistle works.

When you get to the clothing post, mention your location so we can have a feel for what temperatures to see (and how late/early in the season you plan to paddle if you have seasons).

Buy cheap and buy twice…then you propose to buy a $20 pool toy… ?

Think these,
. Paddle buddies… You’ll learn more that way.
.waterproof bag made for cell phone
. Dry bag for keys, wallet money
. Pump with float
Water bottles or hydration pack
Knife
. Skirt…neoprene
.first aid kit in waterproof container
.flares required in ocean or bays leading to ocean more than 3 miles wide…but really optional
. Day pack, deck bag etc
. Compass on deck
. GPS optional
. Map case or waterproof maps
. Paddle float
. Small cooler for lunch
. Paddle jacket
. Sun /rain hat…ie Tilley
. Contact tow, short line for tieing up kayak and rescues.
.tow line. Optional
. Small air horn…whistles suck…mine is smaller than candy bar optional
. Waterproof camera optional no other non-waterproof…cell phones unsuitable…lanyard attached to pfd so it can be dropped and not lost…
. Cold weather gear…
.head lamp
. Ibprophen

Spare paddle…use your first paddle as back up when you up grade. It needs to be on deck within reach. Preferably two piece.

I have one of those three piece $20 paddles. It is too light of construction for sea kayaking. It would fold up with a power stroke. Blades are too small. Friction locks slip. Shaft is too small in diameter for adult hands. It’s what wave runners use to get around the law.

PS…I’ve only used a back up twice. Once in mangrove tunnels where short was needed. Once when another paddlers took off with my GP to try it and left me without a paddle.

I have a whistle on my PFD. I will look for on of those disposable air horns too. And some visual signal.

Definitely will do the label thing on ALL my gear.

PFD is a Gaia Astral.
Skirt is Snapdragon Exp neoprene.
Boat is a Scorpio mkII MV corlite X.

I’ll,look for something better for a backup paddle.

On lessons, I’ve already done three 6-hour and one 4-hour lesson this season. Next season I’ll look for some club practice sessions and another couple lessons. I spent 20 years as a ski instructor and know the value of lessons to elarn things right instead of having to unlearn bad habits.

I use a West Marine pump with flotation collar.

Where and conditions you’re paddling in? Water temps?

Best pump by far

http://topkayaker.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17

I have had two of the other pumps vendors sell and have had the stem pull out. This one made in USA can get with float collar or without.

It’s a beckson

Where are you planning to paddle? > @Rookie said:

USCG requires you carry a whistle and a signaling device, if you don’t already have them. A hunk of a cut-up compact disc is reflective.

I think you may be mistaking the requirement for nighttime visual distress signals and lights. It may be handy for signalling in some daylight circumstances but I know of no USCG requirement that a hunk of CD will fulfill

@qajaqman said:

I think you may be mistaking the requirement for nighttime visual distress signals and lights. It may be handy for signalling in some daylight circumstances but I know of no USCG requirement that a hunk of CD will fulfill

Yes, you’re correct that those who paddle at night must carry visual distress signals that can be seen in the dark. I’m a daylight paddler and while I’ve not carried a flashlight, it’s an item worth adding in view of the recent Superior tragedy.

This is a personal item that some prefer to do without.

Gloves……….I use sailing gloves. They have leather palms and finger guards. The finger tips are open. It prevents blisters. Early on I got a blister on my right thumb, before gloves. Usually happens when you get a death grip on the paddle. That blister popped. I was paddling in the St Augustine bay looking at the Christmas lighting of the city. From that blister I got a skin condition that took a long time to go away. Doctor says its nothing but the splitting, itching, and cracking seem like something. Gloves have also protected my hand when contacting thorns, barnacles , oyster shell, etc.

@Rookie said:

@qajaqman said:

Yes, you’re correct that those who paddle at night must carry visual distress signals that can be seen in the dark. I’m a daylight paddler and while I’ve not carried a flashlight, it’s an item worth adding in view of the recent Superior tragedy.

If you have trouble you can become a night time paddler easy.

I always have ACR light and strobe. Small rescue mirror in PFD pocket to signal made of tuff thick plastic.

@Overstreet said:
I use a West Marine pump with flotation collar.

…and try my best not to need it. So most water in the cockpit brought in by shoes, leaky skirt, rain, paddle splashes, manatee incidents…can be handled with a sponge. Ok maybe not the manatee thing.

I know I’ll be taken to the woodshed for this, but this is the truth. I’ve been paddling for a very long time and I don’t carry a spare paddle, a pump a paddle float, etc., etc. What I consider essential is a shamwow shammy, paddling gloves, sunglasses, spray skirt and a bottle of water. I also have my little kit where I keep my billfold, a little snack, extra batteries for my radio and my cell phone. There are some other little bits and pieces like a knife and whistle in there too.

I wouldn’t worry about a spare paddle as you will probably acquire a whole bunch of them in time. I’ve been given, or found at least four, or five and built a few and of course bought more than a few. I have a different favorite paddle for each boat. If you must carry a spare, I would make it a good one that you can depend on.

The main accessory that you don’t want to skimp on is your pfd’s. I use the plural, because like paddles, you will probably have more than one–just because. And then there is proper footwear–expect to have at least a small collection.