Newbie Here

My wife and I are looking at tandem kayaks so we can take paddling trips on local rivers with our two smaller kids. We have been looking at the Old Town Dirigo Tandem 155T Plus and the Delta Traverse 17.5 T.

Does anyone here have any experience with either of these?

I did find some reviews on the Dirigo and people say its easy to paddle with just one person. How does the Traverse handle with just one paddler?

Thanks in advance

You looking for two boats or one?

@grayhawk said:

We are looking for two boats, but only purchasing one at a time.

@DanLand said:
My wife and I are looking at tandem kayaks so we can take paddling trips on local rivers with our two smaller kids. We have been looking at the Old Town Dirigo Tandem 155T Plus and the Delta Traverse 17.5 T.

Does anyone here have any experience with either of these?

I did find some reviews on the Dirigo and people say its easy to paddle with just one person. How does the Traverse handle with just one paddler?

Thanks in advance

Anyone have any experience paddling the Traverse 17.5T solo?

@DanLand said:

@grayhawk said:

We are looking for two boats, but only purchasing one at a time.

I don’t understand what that means. One or two boats for you, your wife and your kids?

We are buying one boat first. Then a few months later, buying the second boat.

I don’t believe that a tandem kayak is the best vessel of choice for your situation. Wouldn’t it be easier in a canoe, rowboat, raft, guideboat, several single kayaks (depending where you’re going) to accomodate a varying number of passengers?

Where are you going to put the children when the whole family is going? How are you going to trim the boat when paddling solo? Anything is possible, of course…

A better option may be to purchase a used tandem canoe in the 16-17 foot range for any family outing including solo at first, and a used single kayak or canoe later for much improved solo paddling.

As the kids grow and want their own boats or lose interest, sell the used tandem canoe for little loss and buy more used single kayaks or canoes for those who still want to paddle.