that useless little bungee "V" on the rear deck of an NDK Explorer

Has anyone ever found a use for it, other than for securing things you don’t mind losing, or pointing aircraft search and rescue to where the paddler once was? Pretty useless for paddle float rescue IMO.

For your spare paddle if you have a compass… ?

You mean the waybeack one, between the rear hatch and the stern? I think it is a holdover from when people always carried their spares on the rear deck.

I always thought Explorers had pretty good bungee cord setups, much better than the other Nigel’s boats. And Nigel Dennis’s designs are still going strong while the other Nigel’s don’t seem as relevant anymore.
My friend checked out how Nigel Dennis carries his spare paddles at a symposium years ago, one half on the front, the other half on the back. Guess it gives you an option to grab a half depending on where you end up.
Never hurts to surf loop spare paddles under the bungees, by looping the bungee one before putting the paddle shaft-bilge pump-whatever under the cords.

I forget there are people who dont use Greenland paddles, for which the back deck of an explorer is useless anyway unless its a storm paddle.

qajaqman There is another paddle than a greenland paddle. That sounds crazy to me.

I found out that paddle float rescue went more quickly if I did not slip the paddle under any bungees at all.

@dc9mm said:
qajaqman There is another paddle than a greenland paddle. That sounds crazy to me.

Huh, there is? But why would you want to lose it sticking it under that useless rear deck V bungee? It could be gone and you wouldn’t even know it until you reached for it and …whoooops.

Just put the bungee through a plastic golf ball on each side (or buy the Kajak Sport equivalent) , and put a stiff loop at the bow or stern, and it will work fine with a Greenland paddle.

Perhaps I’m in the minority but I like a clean front deck, and usually put my spare on the stern deck. I haven’t lost any paddles that way, but do check after negotiating heavy surf.

Greg

@gstamer said:
Perhaps I’m in the minority but I like a clean front deck, and usually put my spare on the stern deck.

Do you re-enter (or plan to) via the front deck? I always agreed with the logic of keeping the back deck clear do you don’t have to climb over all your crap, maybe damaging something in the process or getting snagged on it.

But to each their own.

@dc9mm said:

Aleutian paddle?

@Sparky961 said:

@gstamer said:
Perhaps I’m in the minority but I like a clean front deck, and usually put my spare on the stern deck.
Do you re-enter (or plan to) via the front deck? I always agreed with the logic of keeping the back deck clear do you don’t have to climb over all your crap, maybe damaging something in the process or getting snagged on it.

I usually split my paddle - half front deck (where I can easily grab if I need to try a half paddle roll) and half back deck. Have done whole paddle on back deck at times. The blades are flat enough to the deck that you can self rescue right over them and not even notice them.

I have no problem using the front deck for my spare. The stock bungees work fine for that. Its more easily accessible there and they’ve survived many a surf launch and landing there. It projects about a foot off the rear deck of my Explorer, and I don’t like that.

I’d imagine Greg is a very competent roller and doesnt need to do many re-entries, back deck or otherwise.

@qajaqman said:
I’d imagine Greg is a very competent roller and doesnt need to do many re-entries, back deck or otherwise.

You’re probably a good driver and avoid road hazards, but do you leave your spare tire at home? Wise people always try to have at least one backup plan.

Although I havent tried it (that I recall) I dont think a Greenland paddle creates much of an impediment to rear deck maneuvers like a euro paddle might. Its low, smooth, and not likely to catch on anything.

@Sparky961 said:

@qajaqman said:

You’re probably a good driver and avoid road hazards, but do you leave your spare tire at home? Wise people always try to have at least one backup plan.

maybe,

• if you get a flat while driving, you (usually) can still pull over to the side for repair (safely out of traffic)
  • if you fail your roll in heavy surf, you can’t get to a ‘safe’ place to re-enter (easily)
    I’m not saying one shouldn’t be able to re-enter a kayak from sea (often do it when out for a swim while at sea), but it should be a (very) last resort in dire situations.
    Have never (so far) had to (or been forced) from cockpit. (That’s one of the things that sold me on the NDK cockpit - the ‘real’ keyhole design you don’t (willfully) come out of)
    (in my early days of paddling, I recall failing the roll 2 or 3 times on each side before ‘finally’ getting back up (surf off Cape Bowling Green, Aus))

I’m not dictating anyone else’s course. I will always plan for the worst and strive for the best.

Just do me a favour and die in a cost-effective way, without the big rescue and recovery effort.

I just read the last few posts on this thread. Maybe l should rethink cutting back on coffee but l am confused. Far as l can tell everyone above carries a spare of some kind somewhere on the deck. Sparky, raisins and qajacman. And have spent enough time being wet to know if their system works.
So what is the debate about? Should l taper more gradually on the coffee?

@Celia said:
Maybe l should rethink cutting back on coffee but l am confused.

Maybe I’ve had too much, and it’s made me jittery.

But when I start seeing arguments against being prepared and having a backup plan, no matter how subtle they may be, it hits a nerve with me. It’s a slippery slope and I don’t see how (or better, why) one would even try to argue against it.

GPs are low volume and store flat. I have never had the slightest issue performing a paddle float rescue with a GP stored on the aft deck. A wing or Euro might be different. I’d suggest that people experiment and see what works and what doesn’t for their particular situation.

The only aft-deck entanglement issue I have had is from the Chimp deck pump handle on my Anas Acuta (the old style that is mounted where most day hatches are today) It can get caught under your PFD straps and cause some confusion until you figure out what’s going on and extricate yourself.

For long distance kayaking I strongly prefer a clean deck. For teaching and group trips I often do mount the spares up front where I can see them, using North Water paddle scabbards. It depends on the situation. Paddles on the foredeck can throw spray, and compete with your chart and compass for space. I have seen foredeck mounted spares damaged during T and X assisted rescues. Some skinny go-fast kayaks (like my 17.75" wide Rapier) require spares to be stored on the stern, there’s simply not enough room on the narrow foredeck.

That said, the important thing is to just have a spare and be able to get to it quickly without bailing out. I know some long distance racers, who, to save weight, and just meet the letter of the rules, put a ZRE carbon single blade inside their aft hatch! Not good.

Greg

Sparky, l am just not seeing where anyone you have criticized lacks a backup plan. Including gstamer now. Who on this immediate group has said they lack a spare and/or a plan?