Newbie Kayak owner, going out of state to NC

Hello,
I’m travelling from Pennsylvania to Asheville, NC at the end of the week. I wanted to take my Aspire 105 along with me and paddle some flatwater. I have launch permits for PA, but am wondering what I need to do or be aware of when taking my boat to NC. Can anyone advise me, please?

Take the short drive down to Lake Jocassee in NW S.C. It costs $2 per person to get in the state park .
Or drive west to Lake Fontana in NC. I’ve never paid to paddle there .
Sections of the French Broad in Asheville are also nice but you would need a shuttle.
The southern states are a bit behind on the tax everything philosophy.

Thank you! Will I need to register my boat in PA? Any permits I need to get in NC?

No need to get permits etc in NC. I would have to check, but I don’t think a casual visitor has to register a boat in PA, or any other state with registration, unless they plan to stay there for a long while. You use does not seem to match that.

In NC there are no state required launch permits or other registrations for non-motorized paddle craft. Some locations may charge an entrance fee or a launch/boat ramp fee.

Lake Lure is another option but it gets crowded on weekends plus it is highly regulated with fees and permits and limited access issues since it is surrounded by homes. I second Lake Jocassee,…its the best in the southeast. Simply beautiful.

@yatipope said:
Lake Lure is another option but it gets crowded on weekends plus it is highly regulated with fees and permits and limited access issues since it is surrounded by homes. I second Lake Jocassee,…its the best in the southeast. Simply beautiful.

For sure

If you are going to be right in Asheville, your best bet is the French Broad River.
There are several outfitters that do shuttles.
A good flat water section takes you right by the Biltmore House

Check with Dave at the Asheville Outdoor Center

If you drive east from Asheville on I-40, check out Lake James in Marion. it is a large lake with 70 miles of shore line and lots of secluded coves to explore, and the Blue Ridge mountains
Lineville Wilderness area as your back drop. There are three different FREE launch places with FREE parking and rest rooms
Our beautiful state along with all the other southern states are very paddler friendly

I have paddled some in that area. The most beautiful part of Jocassee is the waterfall and you have to paddle some miles to get there. I’m guessing the Aspire 105 is not a good long distance boat on flat water. Jocassee is also a bit of a drive. I second Lake James. It’s not a long way from Asheville… and I saw some cool birds there.

https://www.ncparks.gov/lake-james-state-park

To be clear, Jocassee is the most beautiful lake I’ve ever paddled. I’m just concerned that a “newbie” in a short boat would need to be pretty fit to enjoy the most beautiful part of the lake.

Rex,
I’ve paddled 6-9 miles in a day in this boat. How far is the waterfall?

@Rex said:
I have paddled some in that area. The most beautiful part of Jocassee is the waterfall and you have to paddle some miles to get there. I’m guessing the Aspire 105 is not a good long distance boat on flat water. Jocassee is also a bit of a drive. I second Lake James. It’s not a long way from Asheville… and I saw some cool birds there.

https://www.ncparks.gov/lake-james-state-park

To be clear, Jocassee is the most beautiful lake I’ve ever paddled. I’m just concerned that a “newbie” in a short boat would need to be pretty fit to enjoy the most beautiful part of the lake.

Jocassee is a beautiful lake to paddle on and is about 85 miles drive from Asheville and James about 45. Depending upon launch point from Devils Fork State park at Jocassee, waterfalls are about 3 miles, 6 miles and 12 to 14 miles each way from the “remote” launch ramp. All require traversing a large open section of lake known for wind and chop. Because the lake is somewhat isolated and large and is after Labor Day, do not expect much traffic on the lake. That can be fine if you like the quiet and also means that help can be a while to summon and arrive.

Hey KayaRita333, If I remember correctly we paddled very northish from the main launch for 3 or 4 miles so roughly an 8 mile round trip. It’s been a while so by all means ask the folks at the park about directions and distance. I would definitely take along plenty of energy food and water. A ten foot boat doesn’t have much glide. Go for it.

https://southcarolinaparks.com/devils-fork

The distance to Wright Creek Falls is about 7-8 miles round trip. On Jocassee, it is a given that the wind will be in your face for half the trip.

And… we want a trip report whichever water you paddle. You owe us.