Marine Goop

I need to add mincell thigh braces to the existing ones in my cockpit as it’s too loose. I’ve got them cut and ready to glue, but am unsure of the best method of applying Goop to a larger area. Brush or small offset metal spatula? Thanks.

You’ll work yourself to death with a brush.
The goop is very thick.
When I am working with it, I usually use a plastic throw away butter knife

Thanks, JackL.

Picked up a plastic putty knife. That should work fine on the minicell I’m attaching. Thinking my offset spatula may give me more control spreading the glue on the pads that are inside the cockpit and are curved. Wish my neck was longer.

Wildwood Contact cement will do the job just as well and much faster.
I’ve used both and also had to remove both from the boat. Goop is a beast to get off once it cures.

I have Weldwood contact cement but Goop gives me the wiggle room I’ll need for alignment around the cockpit rim where the braces start and into the curve. I don’t trust myself to get it precisely placed on the first try.

I might have to bring the boat into my living room to do the work though, as it will be 46F tonight and the “highs” tomorrow and Saturday are forecast in the 50s.

I have built most of 3 boats in my living room. Very little else occurs in there except for family get togethers during the holidays.

I used to use Goop until I discovered G Flex. Plenty of working time and less viscous than Goop.

String, I think your living room is much larger than mine. I’d be stepping over the boat. The temp was 59F when I got home so it stayed outdoors.

G Flex is kinda pricey for gluing on thigh braces. Two tubes of Marine Goop cost me $12 and I have half a tube left.
Jack sure was right about the thickness of Goop. A brush would have been a disaster. Plastic putty knife worked fine. Second one was easier, probably because I waited longer before attaching it. And it was slightly smaller because of the skeg wire housing.

Frog tape helped hold in place at the curves; just checked them and they seem solid. Hope it will be cured enough to paddle Saturday so I can see if the additional 3/8" layer works better.

@Rookie said:
String, I think your living room is much larger than mine. I’d be stepping over the boat. The temp was 59F when I got home so it stayed outdoors.

G Flex is kinda pricey for gluing on thigh braces. Two tubes of Marine Goop cost me $12 and I have half a tube left.
Jack sure was right about the thickness of Goop. A brush would have been a disaster. Plastic putty knife worked fine. Second one was easier, probably because I waited longer before attaching it. And it was slightly smaller because of the skeg wire housing.

Frog tape helped hold in place at the curves; just checked them and they seem solid. Hope it will be cured enough to paddle Saturday so I can see if the additional 3/8" layer works better.

Good luck. It has a slow cure time. The warmth will help.

Just an FYI about Goop products (Plumber’s, Marine, All-Purpose, E-6000, etc), they’re all the same with the exception that Marine Goop has UV inhibitors in it. That’s only important for exterior applications; any of them can be used on a bulkhead, thigh brace padding, etc. I got this information directly from the company. I just buy whatever I can find cheapest at a big box store.

That’s good to know, bnystrom. Thanks. Rain finally stopped so was able to paddle and check if the glued on mincell made a difference. Total thickness of thigh braces is now a bit over 3/4" and it made a very positive difference. A major difference in low brace turns. So much better edge control.

The only con is that my cockpit sure stinks. Hope the Goop odor dissipates soon.