Thinking about getting a suction cup mirror for keeping an eye on stragglers in group.

I like to stay center or close to back of group when paddling. I was curious if a mirror mounted on kayak would help. I hear people behind me but being able to glance in mirror would help. Keeps an eye out for power water craft too. What do you think? Any opinions? Options?

Biking I use a mirror that mounts to my eyeglasses. (Model 05 in the link). Never used it on the water but it might work just fine.

http://www.thirdeyemirrors.com/

Second the bike mirror. My husband used to use one paddling.

The bike mirror may be a superior solution. You can pivot your head to look here and there behind. Rotating the mirror on a kayak-mounted mirror might be awkward … and rotating the kayak itself is not a practical solution.

I had a friend that used to regularly scull a one-man racing shell around a lake that had a lot of motor traffic. He had mirrors mounted on both sides of his glasses and they seemed to work quite well for him.

@BONES said:
I like to stay center or close to back of group when paddling. I was curious if a mirror mounted on kayak would help. I hear people behind me but being able to glance in mirror would help. Keeps an eye out for power water craft too. What do you think? Any opinions? Options?

In a larger group, it is usually good practice to have at least one experienced paddler play “sweep” (no one can fall behind him or her, ever). Of course, there has to be an agreement of the stronger paddlers to not leave the group behind (which you shouldn’t if you had agree dto take on less skilled and/or slower paddlers into the group in the first place).

Then individual carelessness and/or egotism can trump the best laid and agreed upon plans. Seen that happen in bigger groups (club paddles) and why I generally paddle solo these days and/or only go out with one or two others at most.

Oh, the mirror, I have one on the bike, but I much rather swivel my head around and get a full sense of what is going on or coming up behind me. Only time I rely on the mirror is when going superfast on a downhill, with potholes, and zooming cars behind and
next to me. In kayak going much slower, I see no reason to just not turn around and look (unless there is physical issue). Not like you are going to crash or flip over by turning and looking around. With powerboats, you can certainly hear them from pretty far away.

sing

I just turn and paddle backwards for a while…or ask Qruiser what’s going on.

Mirror on kayak would be nice but where that wouldn’t get ripped off or blocked. ?

Well, this is from an avid rower. I have to turn and look “backward” just to see where I’m going, and have never considered mirrors, even on twisty streams with logs and downed trees, though do I tend to be a lot more flexible than most people. Still, I often shift my heading just slightly in preparation to taking a look, and most often I have a greater need to see one side of dead-ahead more accurately than the other and can just choose which way to turn my head, and see just fine. If I want to look back at stragglers when paddling a canoe, it’s pretty much the same as looking ahead when rowing, and I often just pivot the boat slightly to one side while turning my head. It takes about three or four seconds to leisurely pivot 15 or 20 degrees to one side and then pivot right back while cruising steadily along. Seems to me a kayaker might do the same thing if he chose to. Just a different take on the problem.

@Overstreet said:
I just turn and paddle backwards for a while…or ask Qruiser what’s going on.

Mirror on kayak would be nice but where that wouldn’t get ripped off or blocked. ?

That’s where that backup paddle comes in handy…

@Guideboatguy said:
Well, this is from an avid rower. I have to turn and look “backward” just to see where I’m going, and have never considered mirrors, even on twisty streams with logs and downed trees, though do I tend to be a lot more flexible than most people. Still, I often shift my heading just slightly in preparation to taking a look, and most often I have a greater need to see one side of dead-ahead more accurately than the other and can just choose which way to turn my head, and see just fine. If I want to look back at stragglers when paddling a canoe, it’s pretty much the same as looking ahead when rowing, and I often just pivot the boat slightly to one side while turning my head. It takes about three or four seconds to leisurely pivot 15 or 20 degrees to one side and then pivot right back while cruising steadily along. Seems to me a kayaker might do the same thing if he chose to. Just a different take on the problem.

Crazy Ivan. :wink:

I’ve tried those eyeglass mounted mirrors, and never liked them. Too restricted in scope, and I ended up turning my head anyway. A wider angle grind would just make things look smaller and farther away. A mirror mounted to the boat? Idunno…

Seems like there are better alternatives.

Nobody should be behind the “LAST KAYAK” and , nobody should be in front of the “FIRST KAYAK” these are usually assigned positions for group travel. One sets the pace according to the groups skill, the other watches from the rear and makes sure ALL kayaks stay safe and are off the water at the take out. Only the front kayak would have to look behind to see if the pace is correct. Both front and rear kayaks should have radio contact.

I have been in bodies of water and heard power boats behind me and wished I had my mirror. I am not very flexible when it comes to twisting around to see what’s back there. The Alchemy can turn pretty quickly to compensate for my stiff body but if I’m in the Tempest… it’s more tracky than turny.

@Crazy Ivan
I understand what you’re saying. I know cyclists who won’t do the mirror. Doesn’t work for them. Others, like me, would feel safer without a helmet than without their trusty mirror. Don’t know 'til you try.

@Rex - “Crazy Ivan” isn’t my name, it’s a reference to a move aka “clearing your baffles”, as notably done by Russian submarines. Essentially, well roughly, the same move for the same reason, as described by Guideboatguy. Blind spot aft? Crazy Ivan!

I was thinking I wasn’t the only one to read or watch “Hunt for Red October”. I thought the connection was funny…

https://www.rbth.com/history/326616-us-sailors-met-crazy-ivan

Yeah, I know - some boats track too hard for that.

@Steve_in_Idaho said:

I was thinking I wasn’t the only one to read or watch “Hunt for Red October”.

“Make like a hole in the water.”

Well, dang, GBG - you “hole-in-the-watered” my Crazy Ivan. I’m just gonna have to mount a mirror.

You know - you could just get one of those drones with the “follow me” feature, and point the camera aft. :wink:

Sorry Bones - I’m not helping. I’ll be somewhat serious now…

Some of these newer action cams have Bluetooth. Mount one behind you facing aft, and pair it to your smart phone in its waterproof case. Two birds…one stone. :wink:

@Steve_in_Idaho said:
@Rex - “Crazy Ivan” isn’t my name, it’s a reference to a move aka “clearing your baffles”, as notably done by Russian submarines. Essentially, well roughly, the same move for the same reason, as described by Guideboatguy. Blind spot aft? Crazy Ivan!

Learn something new every day.

So, would getting rid of drafting kayakers be called “Wiping the wake”?

Well how did it work?

As one who has spent a great deal of time looking in a rearview mirror for hours at a stretch, those photos almost make me retch. Seriously, I’d rather C I. But I don’t spend a lot of time in boats that won’t turn.

edit: It appears that the post with the photos I was referring to has been deleted. In case anyone is wondering…the photos showed a suction base mirror mounted on a kayak deck. I hope it wasn’t deleted on my account. The “retch” comment was maybe hyperbolic, but related to my personal history, and no one else’s.