Skid plate

Any one thought of extending skid plates to create a functioning skeg. Adding one or more skid plates to make a boat track better? Like a skeg but just a thicker skid plate. Opinion?

Skid plates slow your boat… Multiple… why? And how do you retract when you want to have more maneuvarability?

And why a skid plate to even start with unless the hull of your canoe/kayak is worn out ?

Not ready to put rudder on kayak , looking for a simple fix. The extension would serve as skeg. Thank you for all your comments. I will continue my education and research until I decide to get a rudder.

What boat do you have?
Skegs relieve the tendency of a kayak
to broach and really dont influence tracking that much

Skid plates………I think there are some on my truck. But not on my boats. Are you thinking about some “keel” like things they sometimes put on plastic boats?

Track……………where, under what conditions?

@BONES said:
Not ready to put rudder on kayak , looking for a simple fix. The extension would serve as skeg. Thank you for all your comments. I will continue my education and research until I decide to get a rudder.

Rudders aren’t exactly a panacea either. Read up on the advantages, and disadvantages, of them.

@BONES said:
Not ready to put rudder on kayak , looking for a simple fix. …………….

Learn better paddle technique. ?

Remember too that a boat that tends to round up into wave and wind may be better than one that falls off the wind putting you in a precarious position.