Folders - Care and Feeding

I’m looking at doing some traveling in the future, and my tentative plans include a folding kayak (sights set on a Trak 2.0) and a small RV. Considering things like salt water, mud, lake slime, sand, ice & snow, and salt water, how would be best to care for a boat like this when on the move and with minimal interior space to clean and dry it out between paddles? Schedule and weather may not allow for regular drying outdoors.

Are there any other pitfalls with this idea? Let’s leave hard sided boats out of the equation for the sake of this discussion. I love them but I’m interested in exploring this option without that distraction that angle adds.

Rinsing out dirt and then allowing to dry is the main work needed. Traks allow you to access much of the inside when taken apart, so it isn’t too hard to clean (when you have access to a hose). I had an original one for a while, but living in a condo in a city, I didn’t have the space to rinse and dry the boat as much as it could have used. This kept me from using much, so I got rid of it.

@Peter-CA said:
Rinsing out dirt and then allowing to dry is the main work needed. Traks allow you to access much of the inside when taken apart, so it isn’t too hard to clean (when you have access to a hose). I had an original one for a while, but living in a condo in a city, I didn’t have the space to rinse and dry the boat as much as it could have used. This kept me from using much, so I got rid of it.

Thanks for sharing your experience. What did you find worked better in the small condo space?

Rinse out and dry.

@Peter-CA said:
Rinse out and dry.

I meant when you got rid of the Trak. What did you use after that?

Hard shell boats. I rent a storage area at a nearby apartment building that is 15’ long, so yo can guess how long my longest boat is…

First off, you need to lubricate ALL the frame joints with Boeshield T-9 as you assemble the boat. I use the spray can if putting it together at leisure in my yard but for travel I use the little drip bottle you can get at most bike dealers (used for chain lube). It prevents salt water from getting into the joints and causing corrosion and the dread “welded” longeron. Boeshield won’t stain or degrade plastics and fabrics like other lubes might. Boeing formulated it to not attack or compromise aircraft wiring harnesses.

Second, whenever you paddle in salt water, try to find a way to flush out the boat completely with fresh water as soon as you can. Most of my coastal paddling ended up near enough to docks that I was able to mooch use of a hose bib and hose at marinas. I realize that is not an option if you are in more wild coast zones.

Paddling in fresh water is not as problematic unless the water is really slimy or gritty. I’ve left my folders set up and repeatedly floated in freshwater lakes and rivers all season without rinsing or drying out. Drying has never been a problem for day trips since carrying the boats (J-racks are recommended) on the car at highway speeds pretty much dries them out completely.

I have to admit that the Traks are really sharp. I was paddling my Feathercraft at a local lake two weeks ago and encountered a guy from Rochester NY, apparently a guide/instructor, and he and his client both had fairly new Traks. This was the first time I had ever seen one up close on the water, let alone two, and I was very impressed. He told me had recently had a chance to paddle Trak’s newest model (the 4.0?) and said it was really slick. Their boats are definitely THE high-performance folders now that Feathercraft is gone. Quite an object of desire. (I had to like the Trak guy: he had the exact same cherry red and black Gearlab Akiak carbon Greenland paddle as I was using. I admit I noticed that before I noticed his kayak.)

But if I was going to do a lot of kayak vagabonding via an RV, I would seriously consider one of Pakboat’s offerings, like the Quest 150. Here is the reason: the decks are removable (on the Quest and Puffin models). Besides offering versatility (kayaks can be paddled as open boats or as sit-insides with full deck) the design makes it very easy to completely dry out the inside of the boat with a towel, even without dismantling it, You can even store one wet by breaking down and removing the frame, then folding the hull skin length-wise, stuffing clumps of crumpled newspapers or cardboard in it (like filling a very long pita pocket with parsley) and then folding it in thirds or quarters width-wise. This makes it compact enough to stuff in the back of a station wagon or into a space in a van or RV until it is dry enough to store (or reassemble at the next launch location.) The combination of the absorbent paper and the air circulation around the paper wads speeds drying. I use the same newspaper technique to dry out my knee high Kokatat paddling boots.

Some visuals I like to share about the “care and feeding” of folders are these 3 shots, one of the rolling duffel I use for airline travel packed with a Pakboat and all my paddling gear and clothing and the other un-packed showing what I stuffed in there, plus a shot of the assembled boat and 4 piece carbon paddle. Entire bag meets airline “free checked baggage” dimensions and is under 48 pounds

Trak’s a great choice, @Sparky961

Matt Pruis finished R2AK 2018 in a Trak. Race started June 6 and he finished July 7, ahead of two multihulls(!). I think he portaged part of Seymour Narrows as well as a couple other spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjRfMimh4_8

Well, it’s nice to know I’m on the right … you guessed it: Trak. (groan)

I’m not sure whether one will be available at the time I’m ready to get one, or if it will still be a good fit at that time. I’m just looking ahead at this point. The logistics sound like they could be workable with a little planning.

@willowleaf
That is an amazing amount of gear you pack in that rolling duffel! And the idea of using something to keep the airflow to maximum and soak up some moisture is also good.

@Rookie
Good clip. The commentary from the people near the end is funny, especially the lady’s “final words”.

My preference is a long and somewhat narrow boat. I also like a shorter, playful boat but not for any sort of distance paddling. I think the Trak has a big advantage here with its adjustable rocker. I suspect it was a design accident, but if it works well enough then who cares? Plenty of great inventions have been accidents.

A few years ago we began thinking about getting a small RV, but it would only work for us if we could Kayak. Having traveled with our hardshells from Canada to Florida, we wanted some “no compromise” kayaks we could take in an RV. We tried out the Trak Seeker 16ST and they filled the bill. Performance sea kayaks that could fit into a golf bag sized pack. After we decided on the Kayaks, we looked at RV’s and selected a Winnebago View “G”. It is a 25’ motorhome build on a Mercedes sprinter chassis. After we picked up the RV in May '17, we traveled from CT to Maine, MA, upstate NY, PA and SC. The Winnebago & Traks are a great combo. I was a very enthusiastic owner and became a TRAK pilot/Ambassodor. I was also a participant in the advisory panel for the new model, the 2.0. The 2.0 has the same hull design as the previous model but many exciting improvements, including lighter weight, fitting/seating improvements, transport options, expedition options, etc. (check website). Since I was offered a substantial Pilot discount, I decided to order 2 new Trak 2.0’s and sell my Trak Seekers. We are awaiting their arrival next month. My Pilot friends who have seen the production version are very impressed. We have already planned RV/Kayak trips for next year to Chesapeake Bay, Nova Scotia and the Canadian Rockies.
As far as your clean/store question, we have not had any issues with that. Our RV has an outdoor shower, so it is easy to do a rinse if we are at a remote launch site. A towel dry and into the RV storage. If we paddle from a campground, we can rinse with the campground water and leave it set up to dry.
Last March, I joined a TRAK expedition in Baja, Mexico. We did a week-long self supported expedition in Trak Seekers. Self supported means we carried all our food, water and gear in our kayaks. Great performance even loaded for expedition.
A really nice and unique feature of the TRAK is the hydraulic jacks used to tension the frame. It allows you to alter the shape of the hull, even on the fly. You can change the rocker to adjust to sea conditions…awesome.
We have no regrets about our TRAK or RV…check out the videos on their website and, if you wind up talking to them, say hi for me The pictures are from near Acadia National Park and Lubec, ME www.trakkayaks.com.

Quest 150 is 15’ long, 24" beam and weighs 31 pounds (11 pounds less than the 16’ by 22.5" Trak.)

Not as high tech as the Trak, for sure, but a big advantage is that it’s nearly $2000 cheaper than even Trak’s “sale” price. But probably takes about 15 minutes longer to assemble. Though I suspect Trak’s contention of “only 10 minutes” is overly optimistic for assembly.

I have the Quest 135, the smaller person version which is 22.5" by 13’ 7". This guy in Hong Kong uses a carbon fiber Greenland paddle with his Quest, as I usually do. You can get a feel for moderate speed in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE0QNHcvxH8

@Sparky961 said:

Good clip. The commentary from the people near the end is funny, especially the lady’s “final words”.

The folks who put on R2AK and those who enter it are always in good humor. Guess you’d have to be to take on such a challenge.

Michelle Riedlinger, the gal who made the comment, crewed on a multihull that came in fifth.

@RV_kayaker Wow, that’s a fabulous way to travel and paddle!

@RV_kayaker said:
I was also a participant in the advisory panel for the new model, the 2.0. The 2.0 has the same hull design as the previous model but many exciting improvements, including lighter weight, fitting/seating improvements, transport options, expedition options, etc. (check website). Since I was offered a substantial Pilot discount, I decided to order 2 new Trak 2.0’s and sell my Trak Seekers. We are awaiting their arrival next month.

Last I checked there was a significant lag time for orders, and limited runs. Any idea how long it would take a “mere mortal” like me to get one, if I should so decide?

Excellent information, by the way. It’s nice to see that someone has already done it and had success.

@willowleaf said:
Quest 150 is 15’ long, 24" beam and weighs 31 pounds (11 pounds less than the 16’ by 22.5" Trak.)

Not as high tech as the Trak, for sure, but a big advantage is that it’s nearly $2000 cheaper than even Trak’s “sale” price. But probably takes about 15 minutes longer to assemble. Though I suspect Trak’s contention of “only 10 minutes” is overly optimistic for assembly.

I have the Quest 135, the smaller person version which is 22.5" by 13’ 7". This guy in Hong Kong uses a carbon fiber Greenland paddle with his Quest, as I usually do. You can get a feel for moderate speed in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE0QNHcvxH8

10 minutes is not unobtainable. It takes me about 15 minutes. The 2.0 has some improvements that hasten assembly, e.g. color coded parts…It is pricey, but is comparable in price and performance to high end hardshell sea kayaks.

@willowleaf said:

Not as high tech as the Trak, for sure, but a big advantage is that it’s nearly $2000 cheaper than even Trak’s “sale” price.

Indeed, the price of the Trak is right up there with the hype. I’m not ruling out others, but Trak certainly tops my list by ticking a lot of boxes.

This guy in Hong Kong uses a carbon fiber Greenland paddle with his Quest, as I usually do. You can get a feel for moderate speed in the video

I don’t know about this guy. No PFD or other gear, slows down significantly after the first few minutes, and just about goes over at 9:32, apparently from chop or small boat wake. Call me a skeptic, 'cause I’m really good at it. :smiley:

@Sparky961 said:

Last I checked there was a significant lag time for orders, and limited runs. Any idea how long it would take a “mere mortal” like me to get one, if I should so decide?

Excellent information, by the way. It’s nice to see that someone has already done it and had success.

I would contact them directly for delivery times. The first production run is sold out and being shipped soon. Orders now will have 2019 winter/ spring delivery. There have been very substantial delays in production, but I have a lot of respect for their unwavering commitment to get it right. The TRAK folks are very committed to sharing their love of paddling and giving paddlers a “go anywhere/paddle any water” durable performance kayak. They are happy to talk with you.

TRAK delivery time info:
Note that due to the demand for the TRAK 2.0, currently orders received during this order window will be part of our late fall / winter run of TRAK 2.0 production to be delivered in March 2019. After this order window, the next TRAK 2.0 kayaks will be delivered during the late spring of 2019.

@Sparky961 said:

@willowleaf said:

Not as high tech as the Trak, for sure, but a big advantage is that it’s nearly $2000 cheaper than even Trak’s “sale” price.

Indeed, the price of the Trak is right up there with the hype. I’m not ruling out others, but Trak certainly tops my list by ticking a lot of boxes.

This guy in Hong Kong uses a carbon fiber Greenland paddle with his Quest, as I usually do. You can get a feel for moderate speed in the video

I don’t know about this guy. No PFD or other gear, slows down significantly after the first few minutes, and just about goes over at 9:32, apparently from chop or small boat wake. Call me a skeptic, 'cause I’m really good at it. :smiley:

When I test paddled the TRAK, I did a 12 mile paddle with one of my regular paddling buddies. We did our usual pace and I had no trouble keeping up with her performance hard shell. Same results on subsequent group paddles.

I hope Trak has a good run with their new model – we really need to have them stay in business after the loss of Feathercraft and Folbot. Especially since the younger generations are more inclined to live in apartments and condos and even eschew owning a motor vehicle, I think there is a potentially greater market opportunity for folding kayaks – and canoes – going forward. Just have to get the word out to more people that the portable boat option actually exists.

Trak is, for now the “ne plus ultra” of technology and performance but can be a hard sell for people not familiar with folders (due to the cost). So having more economically feasible options like Pakboat for initial entry to the sport can help build a market for Trak.

I lucked out in having Feathercraft as a source when I started with folders and owned 3 models over time until deciding the Wisper was perfect for me. I bought the Quest 135 because it was 10 pounds lighter for similar performance but I like both boats. I keep the little Puffin because it’s so light, good for small windy streams (like the ones I paddled in England last year) and it’s a great “loaner” for nervous beginners. (Besides which it only cost me $500.)

I’d almost be afraid to try a Trak because I would like it too much. Already have spent more than I should on toys! I may have to go back to work – loving retirement but I have to be more thrifty. Then again, I could sell most of the existing fleet to afford it. Hmm.