Question on Standard Horizon VHF radio

My Icom died on me and I am interested in the “Standard Horizon HX 300”

Does any one here have one and can comment on it (Good or Bad)
My only concern is the lack of attachment for a lanyard, except by using the belt clip.
Is the belt clip good and secure ? Also does the belt clip add too much bulk to it for putting it under a deck bungee ?

@JackL said:
My Icom died on me and I am interested in the “Standard Horizon HX 300”

Does any one here have one and can comment on it (Good or Bad)
My only concern is the lack of attachment for a lanyard, except by using the belt clip.
Is the belt clip good and secure ? Also does the belt clip add too much bulk to it for putting it under a deck bungee ?

LOL! Exactly reverse for me. I have a Icom that has lasted and is still functioning well for over10 years now. I bought a Standard Horizon (floating model) for my son to go striper fishing with me. He used it for one season and it just died (i suspect the battery). The thing looks practically brand new still. At some point, I’ll get around to sending it in. But, it’s (I believe) $50 bucks (excluding shipping) just to get it to service for a look. I think I bought the Standard Horizon for about $150 on sale. Makes me think I should just go buy another Icom.

sing

Is it because of the USB charging you want to switch to the HX 300?

If so, it is actually possible to charge an Icom from a USB power bank. I do that on multi-day kayaking trips.

I bought a cheap USB to 12V converting cable on Ebay. It came with a plug which fit directly into my Icom charging dock (and the polarity was right too!). So i connect power bank, Ebay cable and charging dock, and my Icom will charge.

The downside is of course that I have to bring the charging dock, and it is a bit fiddly to use the charging dock on an unstable floor in a tent.

I use the belt clip modified . knock the pin out of belt clip your left with what I have Here are two pictures

@dc9mm said:
I use the belt clip modified . knock the pin out of belt clip your left with what I have Here are two pictures

Thanks for the pictures. That solves that problem ?
Is the belt clip bulky? It is hard to tell by the pictures.

@JackL said:

I’ve been using an HX-270 for 11 or 12 years. It doesn’t float but the only problem I have had with it was when a Raven chewed the end off of the antennae. It would still receive but wouldn’t transmit. A new antennae fixed that.

Mine came with this goofy little screw-on knob for the back that clipped onto a belt doo-dah that I had zero use for. I used it to attach a lanyard to and that has been bombproof.

Jon

@Chodups said:

@JackL said:

I’ve been using an HX-270 for 11 or 12 years. It doesn’t float but the only problem I have had with it was when a Raven chewed the end off of the antennae. It would still receive but wouldn’t transmit. A new antennae fixed that.

Mine came with this goofy little screw-on knob for the back that clipped onto a belt doo-dah that I had zero use for. I used it to attach a lanyard to and that has been bombproof.

Jon
https://3meterswell.blogspot.com

Manythanks,

@JackL said:

@dc9mm said:
I use the belt clip modified . knock the pin out of belt clip your left with what I have Here are two pictures ![]

Thanks for the pictures. That solves that problem ?
Is the belt clip bulky? It is hard to tell by the pictures.

It fits in my NRS C-vest PFD front radio pocket so I would say NO to it being bulky . I actually wanted one the the dsc radios but none would fit into my radio pocket at the time. The hx 300 does

I’ve had an HX300 for about 3 years and I like it. It has certainly never let me down.

It fits in the pocket of my Kokatat PFD and if I wear my NRS Ninja I just clip it to the shoulder strap.

I’d say that the belt clip is maybe just a little bulky - it sticks out about 1/2" from the rear of the radio - but it’s not too bad.

The top of the clip has a 1/4" hole in it to which you can easily attach a lanyard. Unless the design has changed I think if you knocked out the belt clip pin then you’d have to enlarge the holes it goes through. It would be pretty easy to do though.

Standard horizon radios are good to go, I have one that’s 8 years old and still functions and holds a charge. May I suggest taking a look at their HX40 radio, its super compact and the battery lasts a long time, it also had a pretty high transmit power but the size is awesome. cheers dave

See ………….
https://forums.paddling.com/discussion/1791494/vhf-handheld-marine-radio-questions#latest

JackL, fess up! You’ve never switched on your radio when I’ve paddled with you, so you could stick with the dud radio and save your bucks :slight_smile:

@nickcrowhurst said:
JackL, fess up! You’ve never switched on your radio when I’ve paddled with you, so you could stick with the dud radio and save your bucks :slight_smile:

We miss you guys !
I never had to turn it on because I knew you were always there to keep us safe. Now that you are not here I need it to call for help

I would strongly suggest getting a DSC class D radio instead of another non-DSC unit (if I am not mistaken HX 300 is not a DSC unit). A single button press will issue a mayday and send your GPS coordinates. It’s worth the extra cost.
HX 870 seems the default choice around here.

As I’ve said many times before, understand what DSC is and what is isn’t before you go trusting your life to it. Whether or not a radio has DSC, it still has the limitations of VHF - meaning that the signal needs to get to someone in range who can actually help. North of the border, especially in the winter, that monitoring is non-existent in many areas. In fact, you probably have a better chance of reaching someone who can help with a cell phone than a VHF radio. Perhaps in the GTA there’s enough marine traffic that it’s well-monitored, but I’d be doing some test calls in the area I paddle before relying on it.

I carry and use a VHF in areas with heavier boat traffic, but do not consider it a safety device for remote areas. I trust my PLB and my own judgement much more.

@SpaceSputnik said:
I would strongly suggest getting a DSC class D radio instead of another non-DSC unit (if I am not mistaken HX 300 is not a DSC unit). A single button press will issue a mayday and send your GPS coordinates. It’s worth the extra cost.

I don’t need or want any more then a simple VHF.
My paddling partner, (my wife) always has a spot on her boat.
I used to not only keep a VHF, but also a PLB and realized I was wasting money so the last time the battery on the PLB gave out I didn’t bother replacing it…
I primarily use a VHF for weather or if I see a power boat in trouble

Nothing is a 100% you just try to increase your odds of survival.

I see new Standard Horizon 890 is now out.

@PaddleDog52 said:
I see new Standard Horizon 890 is now out.

This is a class H DCS, not class D. Class H is missing features compared to D. Don’t quote me on that, but I seem to recall that it does not have a separate CH 70 receiver which is kinda important. I have been told 870 is a way to go.

@JackL said:

@SpaceSputnik said:

I don’t need or want any more then a simple VHF.
My paddling partner, (my wife) always has a spot on her boat.
I used to not only keep a VHF, but also a PLB and realized I was wasting money so the last time the battery on the PLB gave out I didn’t bother replacing it…
I primarily use a VHF for weather or if I see a power boat in trouble

If you ever have to issue Mayday, DSC capability is a pretty big deal. A single button press is all that’s required. That single red button is what I carry my radio for.
Just saying.