Cedar Strip Kayak: Who needs a winter project?

Let’s get it out in the open right away. This is a long shot. Most of you are in the US and far away from me. With that said, who knows with today’s social networking sites and mobile people. I’d appreciate if others were to share a link to this wherever it might get a few more eyeballs looking at it.

It can be found in SW Ontario, Canada. I will not entertain the idea of shipping it anywhere, so if anyone is truly interested they’ll have to arrange with me to come see it and bring it with them. And definitely don’t send me your “shipper”, who wants me to cash a cheque for the difference - or whatever the scam of the day is.

I started a cedar strip kayak a few years back and dabbled at it for a while and then put it on the back burner while doing other things. It’s based on Nick Shade’s Guillemot design, scaled proportionally down to 14’ with more volume left in the centre. If a longer boat is more your thing, you could use this for practice then modify the strongback and form spacing for your next one.

Now it has been moved from the back burner to … well, I’ve considered putting it on a bonfire but that seems rather sacrilegious. I hope to find it a good home with someone who will complete the project and enjoy the boat when done - or make some money selling it as a finished boat. The bottom (hull) is completely stripped and the top (deck) is just barely started. For the uninformed, you could call it half done - but there’s still a fair amount of work to be done after the stripping has been completed. I’ve been very picky about joints and minimizing nail and staple holes, so for anyone who’s wanted to build such a thing it could be a great jump start into the project.

I have no idea how to put a price on it. I have no expectations (or need) for making a profit on it. Covering some of the cost of the cedar strips already used and the remainder ready to go on would be nice, but finding a good home would be even nicer. I’ll even include Nick Shade’s book.

In this thread, I’d appreciate any creative ideas related to how to best part with it. Anyone genuinely interested should contact me privately via PM.

I’ll add some photos tonight or tomorrow perhaps.

Pictures, as promised…

Going to be a beauty.

Looking good so far. However I’d say about 1/4 finished(speaking from experience). A stripper isn’t on my docket these days. I’m puttering with some ideas & if those don’t work out I may build a Shrike.

To many bulkheads where do you sit?

LOL

@PaddleDog52 said:
LOL

It’s just multiple water tight compartments in case of icebergs. You just need to remember to seal the top as well.

Just like the Titanic.

@PaddleDog52 said:

LOL

Forms, they come out.