Paddling Instruments

The recent discussion of playing music while paddling got me wondering if others carry musical instruments with them while paddling. In my extended paddling family Rusty sometimes brings his guitar. If I could play a harmonica I would certainly carry one with me. Drumming on the side of a kayak or canoe is certainly an option. Of course everyone has a voice, and singing is the simplest way to bring music along wherever you go. If I sing I have been told I should be on the radio so they can turn it off.

My choice of instrument is the Native American Flute. It is easily portable, and doesn’t require an in depth period of learning to sound good playing it. I was first drawn to it because I love the sound. Like tjalmy said in the thread that lead to this post “It seems fitting in a sylvan environment. Lovely gentle wooden instrument, very organic.” It became a passion for me which has greatly expanded exploring many tributaries of creative meandering for me. It gave me a musical means of expression I never really had. I drifted into making my own songs as well as learning others. I learned how to make the flute which renewed a dormant interest in carving. I have always dabbled with drawing, and wood burning became a new way for doing so. Unlike many instruments it can vary in form and be uniquely individual. I am posting some of the flutes I have made as a demonstration of this unique quality.

I remember seeing a very short and contrived film, probably when the Banff Mountain Film Festival comes to our town, that showed a fellow paddling a canoe and when landing playing his guitar (maybe banjo). However, he also used the guitar (maybe banjo) as his paddle.

There’s something enduring about instruments made from natural materials.

I tried an ocarina for a while, just an inexpensive plastic one to start. I still carry it and might pull it out in the middle of a long solo trip. Unfortunately I’ve found that learning the finger patterns and trying to use it with my large hands has been difficult and thus it hasn’t received as much use as I had hoped.

Many years ago I used to play trumpet, and was better than average, though not great.

I wonder if a small wooden flute like what you’ve shown might work better for me.

@Sparky961 said:
There’s something enduring about instruments made from natural materials.
I wonder if a small wooden flute like what you’ve shown might work better for me.

Sparky, I feel sure it wood! :smiley:
The NAF fingering works well for my fat fingers. Even without a musical background the basic fingering is a pentatonic scale which means all the notes are harmonic and sound good together no matter what order you play them. This makes it easy to play in the moment and how you feel without a formal song in mind. With cross fingering you can play a diatonic scale. The range is about an octave and a half. It is probably the easiest Instrument for those like me that struggle to be musical.

What’s involved in making them?

('Cause I really don’t need another long term project! - See other recent thread of mine.)

Check out flutetree.com and maybe do some searching online for info on Native American flute.

Here is how to make a PVC flute. This same method will work for wood or bamboo. Mark Beaver of the Carolina’s Flute Circle showed me how to make this PVC flute. It plays the upper register notes well, and is in tune if the holes are placed right. It is a quick and easy flute to make. What follows are the directions I wrote up.

Here is a simple pvc flute plan in key of G#.

Cut a 19" piece of 3/4" pvc, and then use a 9/32" drill bit to
drill 8 holes. One for each finger hole, and one each for the sound
hole and air hole. You will also need a short piece of 1" PVC about
2" long for your bird, and a #8 wine cork.

Drill your holes at 4 5/16", 5 7/16", 6 5/8", 7 3/4", 8 5/8", 9
15/32", 13 3/4", 14 3/4".

Cut your cork to fit exactly between the 13 3/4" and 14 3/4" holes.

Drill a 9/32 hole close to the end of your 2 inch piece of 1" pvc,
then cut the 1" pvc so you cut through the edge of the hole you
drilled. Leave the back of the hole round and straighten out it’s
sides. On the bottom or opposite side of the 1" pvc from the hole
you, drilled and worked, cut the 1" pvc length wise. Now you have a
bird with a chimney that will spread open and fit over the 3/4" pvc
flute body.

To make the flue just file or sand the area from the backside of the
air hole (14 3/4" hole) to about a half inch past the sound hole (13
3/4" hole). File this area down flat in such a way as to have about
1/16" on each side of the air and sound holes also flat. In other
words the flat area will be about 1 1/2" long and 13/32" wide. This
isn’t a critical measurement, but if you file the flue too deep the
flute won’t play well. When you slip the one inch pvc bird over the
3/4" pvc slide it on until the back of the chimney hole in the one
inch pvc is even with the back edge of the sound hole (13 3/4" hole
in the 3/4" pvc).

You will need to file the bottom edge of the sound hole at about a
30 degree angle. This is the bottom of the edge away from the cork
side of the sound hole. Keep testing how it sounds and stop when you
have it sounding like you want it.

If everything goes right it will be in tune without doing anything
else. If it needs fine tuning then to sharpen a note sand or file
the finger hole larger. To flatten a note put a small amount of
super glue or some such to make the finger hole smaller.

What the finished flute looks like.

Just 3 pieces

Split the Bottom of the 2" long piece 1" PVC so it will slide onto the 3/4" PVC flute.

The x under the flute photo in the fingering chart is the note you tune the finger hole too depending on the key of the flute. Work up from the bottom with all holes closed for the first note. This note is the key of the flute. In this case it is G#.

I should add I use a Korg guitar tuner when tuning the finger holes.

Castoff, would you happen to be going to Native Rhythms this weekend? Deb and I will be there. She’s on stage Saturday morning. It would be fun to meet up!

Is that over by Melbourn? I haven’t been to that one. I have been to the one in Fort Walton Beach. I just got back from Apopka, FL this Monday so won’t be heading back this soon. The family was there for a surprise 95th birthday party for my Dad. We are planning on getting down to Ocala NF this spring so maybe we can paddle together. Perhaps you could show us somewhere I haven’t paddled down that way. I have paddled with KayakKen a few times He has a cabin in the forest.

Those are pretty neat, and the PVC version seems like it would be pretty easy. But alas, it would be irresponsible for me to take on anymore projects at the moment. I see light at the end of the tunnel though. Soon I’ll have more free time.

I understand time constraints. Although the PVC would take less than a day, and cost little. You might, of course, purchase one online from many of the makers selling them, but for less than $100 is hard to find.

Castoff, yes, it’s in Melbourne. It’s a lot larger gathering than Musical Echoes in Ft. Walton Beach. Someday you should join us! The amazing artistry of the flute makers is worth the trip alone!
Please give me a shout if you head back down this way, I do know some lesser paddled streams that are beautiful!

Thanks will do!

@tjalmy said:
Castoff, yes, it’s in Melbourne. It’s a lot larger gathering than Musical Echoes in Ft. Walton Beach. Someday you should join us! The amazing artistry of the flute makers is worth the trip alone!
Please give me a shout if you head back down this way, I do know some lesser paddled streams that are beautiful!

And you want to put Flotsam on them?

That is where it belongs… B)

Nice flutes you have made. Carving and shaping you know the wood and the instrument like no one else can. I’ve been making primitive/traditional bows and arrows for a few years now. Very therapeutic. I have been known to take a ukulele along on paddling trips, nice when there are good singers along on the trip. I did one trip in Mexico, where there was a woman paddler along who is a professor at San Diego State U., and a very good singer. Lots of fun when somebody is very musical. She also sang encouraging songs when we were in rough tide race during a crossing - one of my favorite kayaking moments.

@SeaDart said:
“I’ve been making primitive/traditional bows and arrows for a few years now. Very therapeutic. I have been known to take a ukulele along on paddling trips, nice when there are good singers along on the trip. I did one trip in Mexico, where there was a woman paddler along who is a professor at San Diego State U., and a very good singer. Lots of fun when somebody is very musical. She also sang encouraging songs when we were in rough tide race during a crossing - one of my favorite kayaking moments.”

Great story! I agree it is nice to have someone musical around a camp fire. Very cool to find out you like “primitive” archery too.

Archery and bowhunting have been passions long before I discovered flute making. I have made several primitive/wooden bows and many wood arrows. My favorite is a yew English longbow I made and won several tournaments with. I was at a TBOF championship in Ocala, FL competing in the primitive bow class when I heard someone playing the NAF. That led to me making and playing these flutes. Primitive has many connotations, but many things that are considered primitive are truly sophisticated. Take the Greenland kayak for instance.

I thought I would have built a sof kayak by now, but have so many pots on the fire that take up my time. Sailing and refinishing an old Wayfarer this summer among them. Then archery hunting when the season opened, and paddling/camping when I get the chance. Still a sof is a project I hope to take on. When I retired someone said what will you do with so much spare time…lol…what spare time?

The oldest known musical instrument was found in a German cave. It is a flute made from bone. They have been made from Mammoth ivory, vulture, and swan wing bones, and even the jaw bone of a Cave Bear. They go back as far as 43,000 years. I read that some of the caves that have the paintings also have good acoustics. They may have been primarily selected for this aspect for ceremonial reasons. There is some debate over whether the cave bear flute was made by Neanderthals or Cro-magnons.

This flute is made from the leg bone of a whitetail deer.

Castoff: Your flutes are wonderful! Especially like the bear and the spalted wood snake. Thanks for sharing them!

@castoff said:

@SeaDart said:
“I’ve been making primitive/traditional bows and arrows for a few years now. Very therapeutic. I have been known to take a ukulele along on paddling trips, nice when there are good singers along on the trip. I did one trip in Mexico, where there was a woman paddler along who is a professor at San Diego State U., and a very good singer. Lots of fun when somebody is very musical. She also sang encouraging songs when we were in rough tide race during a crossing - one of my favorite kayaking moments.”

Great story! I agree it is nice to have someone musical around a camp fire. Very cool to find out you like “primitive” archery too.

Archery and bowhunting have been passions long before I discovered flute making. I have made several primitive/wooden bows and many wood arrows. My favorite is a yew English longbow I made and won several tournaments with. I was at a TBOF championship in Ocala, FL competing in the primitive bow class when I heard someone playing the NAF. That led to me making and playing these flutes. Primitive has many connotations, but many things that are considered primitive are truly sophisticated. Take the Greenland kayak for instance.

I thought I would have built a sof kayak by now, but have so many pots on the fire that take up my time. Sailing and refinishing an old Wayfarer this summer among them. Then archery hunting when the season opened, and paddling/camping when I get the chance. Still a sof is a project I hope to take on. When I retired someone said what will you do with so much spare time…lol…what spare time?

Not bad for 15’.