Wally and Beaver build a skin on frame kayak

We enjoy Leave It to Beaver via MeTV over free to air antenna. This morning’s episode 16 from season 2 (Jan 1959) had them building a skin on frame kayak after being inspired by seeing one in a movie. They used wooden barrel staves, chicken wire and table cloths sealed with varnish. Plan after testing in Miller’s pond was to head to the ocean. Beaver gets the maiden paddle with expected consequences. Almost as good as paddling today. Too windy and cool here in Beaufort SC.

Windy and very chilly in the Upstate. And rain on the way.

A beautiful late November day here in Michigan. About 30 to start but in the low 40s by the end around 1 PM.

@rival51 said:
A beautiful late November day here in Michigan. About 30 to start but in the low 40s by the end around 1 PM.![]

Looks like a beautiful day down there! What river is that? Maybe I should be traveling south to paddle.

Was a lovely day here in the north, but gale warnings were posted. Instead, I cleaned out about two pounds of sand from the interior of my car.

Rookie, we paddled the Grand River today, Eaton Rapids to McNamara Landing (Columbia Road). Come on down - the rivrs are still open. We will be doing an urban paddle later in December.

Found the episode where Beaver Cleaver and company build the SOF.

Good luck trying to watch it, though, The streaming kept hanging up and the site kept preempting it for ads when I tried to watch it.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4qk0yl

Haha, that was classic Beaver. was able to watch it with no issues. I wonder if I saw that one as a “shrimp”. I used to be called Beaver too, on account of my buck teeth. I

Probably my crappy slow internet (Verizon). I’m switching services this Friday so I’ll try to watch it then. Got to play 2 year musical chairs with the various providers to get a less than punishing subscription cost.

@willowleaf said:
Found the episode where Beaver Cleaver and company build the SOF.

Good luck trying to watch it, though, The streaming kept hanging up and the site kept preempting it for ads when I tried to watch it.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4qk0yl

Haha! “We figure the guy that gets in it will be the center of gravity”. Well, of course! :smiley:

BTW - Proving once again…canoes and kayaks don’t tip over, paddlers do.

I wonder if the film that the Cleaver boys mention was “Nanook of the North”? When I was a kid in the mid 50’s we did not have a TV but my Dad (an assistant instructor at Boston University at the time who worked part time in their A/V department) used to bring home an 8mm projector and screen documentaries and foreign films on our dining room wall. I loved “Nanook” and requested it many times – perhaps that is what planted the seed of my attraction to kayaking. I liked the solo aspect of it (I started canoeing around 3rd grade at Scout camp.) but it wasn’t until my late 20’s that I first used a kayak. And now I have a skin on frame similar to Nanook’s. Though he didn’t always paddle his solo (here’s a clip showing how he transported his wife and three kids in one kayak – no high center of gravity there):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL7YL5auJzA

@willowleaf said:
I wonder if the film that the Cleaver boys mention was “Nanook of the North”? When I was a kid in the mid 50’s we did not have a TV but my Dad (an assistant instructor at Boston University at the time who worked part time in their A/V department) used to bring home an 8mm projector and screen documentaries and foreign films on our dining room wall. I loved “Nanook” and requested it many times – perhaps that is what planted the seed of my attraction to kayaking. I liked the solo aspect of it (I started canoeing around 3rd grade at Scout camp.) but it wasn’t until my late 20’s that I first used a kayak. And now I have a skin on frame similar to Nanook’s. Though he didn’t always paddle his solo (here’s a clip showing how he transported his wife and three kids in one kayak – no high center of gravity there):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL7YL5auJzA

And I thoughty parents cars were small.