Most comfortable tandem that also works good as a single?

What is the most comfortable tandem kayak that would also work as a single? My girlfriend and I are in our late 50s so super comfortable seat are very important. It will be used for fishing and Recreation, probably tandem half the time and single half the time. A small motor option would be nice and I want to keep it around $1,500 for the kayak. If a canoe would be a better choice just let me know. It will be used in the Everglades and Florida Keys. Together we way around 400 pounds Thanks, Joe

Comfort is in the butt of the beholder.

To me tandem to be good is one where paddles don’t have to go in sync. That means 20-22 feet long.

Good paddlecraft are primarily designed to paddle well for an active paddler. I honestly think super comfortable seats and a small motor option are priorities that are likely to lead you away from paddlesports fairly quickly. Understanding those priorities is the most important first step. Understanding the limitations of meshing well-designed paddlecraft with those priorities is a very important next step. Your priority is fishing and recreation on super comfortable seats, and as I interpret it going down in reality, fiddling around with a paddle in the water here and there might be fun as a small part of it. But I’m not inferring that consistent active paddling, as I understand it, is really any part of what you envision or would enjoy. So I would suggest looking to small but stable watercraft that will remain stable given the seating you install.
You could try something like this, but you should be careful about the stability factor, which might make this unsuitably narrow. To be sure, this is not set up with canoe paddling as a priority, but it doesn’t rule out paddling. https://wilmington.craigslist.org/spo/d/canoe-by-north-woods/6722447856.html

http://www.northwoodscanoe.com/pasqua-16---y-stern.html

I have seen people use something like this that will also paddle single…
https://oldtowncanoe.johnsonoutdoors.com/dirigo-tandem-plus-94?jo-page=2

you are looking for a square stern… Not the most efficient for paddling but they do exist… Comfortable seats are something you can adapt for yourself.

BTW the crowd you are talking to is mostly older than you and actively paddling. You are not too old to start.

The Old Town Discovery Sport is something you might be able to get and take a look at but tandems that are stable are generally unsuitable for solo paddling because they are too wide. It may be better frankly to look at rowboats.

I have a 50 something friend that wore out 20 ft tandem kayak paddling it solo. You could be like him, but you said “motor”. He would never…

Think canoe.

Based on what you stated were your boating needs and usage; I would suggest that a small ,tandem canoe would be much preferable to a tandem kayak.

I have posted some photos of possibly suitable for you canoes; all of which currently for sale in classifieds here on pnet. All are well below $1,500.00…

BOB

Our Old Town Loon 160T paddled pretty well both solo and tandem. It’s main issue for me was that it weighed 74 lbs and I had to carry and load it myself.

I have a 14.5 native ultimate tandom that I usually use as a solo kayak. The seats are amazingly comfortable and I can take a seat out easily and make it a solo kayak. It also works for two people as well.
I also used it for five years fishing on the marsh and inlets in Charleston. It’s almost like a hybrid canoe/kayak and it’s very hard to flip if not impossible. Im not sure about a motor,but I would think you could set up a electric motor in the back somewhat easily.
I bought mine slightly used for around $1400

along the lines of the tandem canoe that can double as a solo boat…in appropriate wind conditions… I have Old Town Penobscot 16 royalex that is built for two but that I paddle most often solo with my dog both as a fishing and tripping and occasionally waterfowling vessel. I would actually now choose the Old Town Camper over the Penobscot as a solo boat, but in my earlier days I thought a little bit of everything was a good thing, which is what Penobscot delivers…now I would choose the initial stability of the Camper although the dogs and I have done well enough over the years with the Penobscot just the same. The Winooski looks very promising given what I see of hull shape and seat positions, probably the Pathfinder as well. Take a good look at initial stability, position of the bow seat re. solo paddling and maybe ponder the wind profile as you will get a few more free rides in unplanned directions on a windy day than you have seen paddling tandem. That said, I look at possible next solo boats and am still drawn to smaller tandems that I could paddle as solos, the point being that I am drawn most to the tandems rather than the cool little solos (which tend not to be made for we of ex-linemen physique) . Hope you find a good boat to float, let us know what it is!

I have a Hurricane 140T tandem that converts to a single. I paddle it solo quite a bit. The seat can be moved/removed from tandem to single positions. It is quite stable for me, but doesn’t have fishing outfitting. It doesn’t have much of a keel, so if you struggle to keep a kayak going straight, I suggest an after-market, drop-down rudder. It’s hard to keep it straight, solo or tandem. (They call tandems divorce boats for a reason…) It is ABS Plastic, so weighs under 60 lbs. with no gear. My husband and daughter carry it easily. Unfortunately, I can’t speak to the seat comfort because I am paralyzed from the waist down and can’t feel the seats. I usually sit on an air-filled cushion in my boat. Hurricanes do have a recreational seat with an adjustable backrest. I’ve used other roto-molded and even ABS sit-on-tops. They are MUCH heavier and not many are convertible to solo. This might be a link to the newest version:
https://hurricaneaquasports.com/our-kayaks/recreational-kayaks/santee-140t/
Ours cost about $1000.00 in 2010 +/- One other piece of advice for this boat. Store the bolts for the seats in the hatch when not in use. Mine corroded and the anchors rusted. I store the kayak outside, but under cover. I had to replace my anchors (an ordeal.) If you keep them lubed or siliconed, they might survive longer. Enjoy the water!!

Bought an Old Town Twin Heron 2+ years ago for this dual use purpose but without any need for a motor. Handles very nicely as a solo, and at 60 lbs is able to be hoisted by my 68 yr old body. Cuts through water nicely.

@parakayaker said:
I have a Hurricane 140T tandem that converts to a single. I paddle it solo quite a bit. The seat can be moved/removed from tandem to single positions. It is quite stable for me, but doesn’t have fishing outfitting. It doesn’t have much of a keel, so if you struggle to keep a kayak going straight, I suggest an after-market, drop-down rudder. It’s hard to keep it straight, solo or tandem. (They call tandems divorce boats for a reason…) It is ABS Plastic, so weighs under 60 lbs. with no gear. My husband and daughter carry it easily. Unfortunately, I can’t speak to the seat comfort because I am paralyzed from the waist down and can’t feel the seats. I usually sit on an air-filled cushion in my boat. Hurricanes do have a recreational seat with an adjustable backrest. I’ve used other roto-molded and even ABS sit-on-tops. They are MUCH heavier and not many are convertible to solo. This might be a link to the newest version:
https://hurricaneaquasports.com/our-kayaks/recreational-kayaks/santee-140t/
Ours cost about $1000.00 in 2010 +/- One other piece of advice for this boat. Store the bolts for the seats in the hatch when not in use. Mine corroded and the anchors rusted. I store the kayak outside, but under cover. I had to replace my anchors (an ordeal.) If you keep them lubed or siliconed, they might survive longer. Enjoy the water!!

Good for you girl! Paddle on!

@Wbyman said:
What is the most comfortable tandem kayak that would also work as a single? My girlfriend and I are in our late 50s so super comfortable seat are very important. It will be used for fishing and Recreation, probably tandem half the time and single half the time. A small motor option would be nice and I want to keep it around $1,500 for the kayak. If a canoe would be a better choice just let me know. It will be used in the Everglades and Florida Keys. Together we way around 400 pounds Thanks, Joe

From paddling with one of our kids in the front I would say most of the reareational (non race) kayaks work better than a single in terms of speed. I think our Wilderness Northstar 18’ is faster than our Tsunami 140 and 125’s even if it’s just me in the back paddling. That said paddling a tandem by yourself, especially a plastic boat, is hard because they are heavy to lift, carry and put in the water by yourself. Heck even the composite tandem’s aren’t so light either. Also going in the water alone is dangerous…

There are kayaks with motors but they get real expensive. If you don’t mind staying a little smaller or a hybrid/recreational boat have you thought of the Necky Manitou 2?

Kayaks are always faster and more stable but Canoes just work.