Sailboat found adrift - after 8 years

I remember this story - particularly the criticism the family got for allowing her to sail alone.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/article/abby-sunderlands-yacht-wild-eyes-found-off-australia-eight-years-on/ar-BBRKBut?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Several years ago, there was a story of an NDK ‘Explorer’ that had been discovered adrift after about a year, crossing from the US to France
https://maineislandkayak.com/ndk-explorer-crosses-atlantic-without-a-paddler/

I saw that this morning. That eye sure is spooky.

The owner of that Explorer chimed in on P.net back then and told the story.
If I remember he was offered the boat sent back but didn’t think the shipping would be worth it.

I believe the owner of the Explorer .has .since passed away. He weighed in ages ago when that story came up saying he was the paddler and describing how his boat went away on its own. Partly a result of his rescuing another paddler and hurting his shoulder in the process.
But the reason the folks in Europe were able to contact him was the hatches were still bone dry. His ID inside was preserved.

That was Liv2paddle I believe. He and I got into a heated discussion about using leashes and tethers in kayaks … before he lost his boat. I’m pretty sure he passed away several years ago now. I always thought he was from NS,

Would that be a testimony to the NDK Explorer sea worthiness?

SeaDart - My recall, albeit could be wrong, is that the incident where Liv2Paddle lost his boat was in surf off North Carolina or similar. I am pretty sure he was from US. I don’t think he was paddling buddies with the guy he helped, just that they were both there and he saw the other paddler was in trouble. It was fairly messy stuff, whether a leash would have been helpful in stuff bad enough for him to get a shoulder injury can probably be debated.

He passed away and was well regarded by many here. In fact well enough liked that some months after, when a new person to the Board unknowingly chose the same screen name, they got raked over the coals.

Overstreet - At least one of NDK dealer in this country did use this story as proof of the seaworthiness of the boat and the durability of their hatch covers. Apparently everything was covered in barnacles but the boat was just fine underneath them. My husband and I heard this story when we were looking at boats at a place in Maine.

@Celia said:
SeaDart - My recall, albeit could be wrong, is that the incident where Liv2Paddle lost his boat was in surf off North Carolina or similar. I am pretty sure he was from US. I don’t think he was paddling buddies with the guy he helped, just that they were both there and he saw the other paddler was in trouble. It was fairly messy stuff, whether a leash would have been helpful in stuff bad enough for him to get a shoulder injury can probably be debated.

He passed away and was well regarded by many here. In fact well enough liked that some months after, when a new person to the Board unknowingly chose the same screen name, they got raked over the coals.

Overstreet - At least one of NDK dealer in this country did use this story as proof of the seaworthiness of the boat and the durability of their hatch covers. Apparently everything was covered in barnacles but the boat was just fine underneath them. My husband and I heard this story when we were looking at boats at a place in Maine.

Yup. Remember that “lively” debate too. :slight_smile: Props to Liv2Paddle for stepping up to assist. But, the debates about leashes, as with tow ropes in surf, wetsuit/drysuit, GP/Euro… have gone beyond Live2Paddle and, I suspect, will go on beyond any one of us remaining long timers on this site. I find myself increasingly disinterested in those types of discussions because they totally turned me off to this site for awhile. The “evangelicals” will always be present and I am with “ScupperFrank” on this… “Paddle on!” :smile:

sing

Wish MY explorer had dry hatches. That’s a great improvement.

Yup. Remember that “lively” debate too. :slight_smile: Props to Liv2Paddle for stepping up to assist. But, the debates about leashes, as with tow ropes in surf, wetsuit/drysuit, GP/Euro… have gone beyond Live2Paddle and, I suspect, will go on beyond any one of us remaining long timers on this site.

I made peace with Liv2paddle back channel email long before he passed away. So many Pnetters that were here 20 years have gone that way now. Life has a way of taking your boat away when you least expect it.

I was thinking the same thing . I’ll always remember Dr. Swartzwalt and Fear no Fish.
I miss the characters who added to the humor and controversy. We are dull by comparison now.