Hello, Paddler!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First (Longboat) Surf of 2019

Yesterday's storm bought mostly rain along the southern NE coast. It passed through into the Atlantic pretty quickly, but enough to generate some wind swells this AM. Not really good enough for the waveski because of the short intervals - 4' @ 6-7 seconds. But, it was ideal for the longboat, especially with a good offshore wind to clean the waves. Made it to the south shore break after dawn. Nice waves but nobody else out there at the early hour, except for a couple of strollers (several boardies showed later in the session).

Rushed to get the Delphin and the gear together because the extra high tide this morning left a window of only severals hours of surfing in before the waves start smacking into the seawall.

This the first longboat session for me in 2019 but the second with the Delphin in the past couple of weeks. I have to say... I am seriously "in like" with this boat. it is what I hoped for to take on smaller and/or messier waves that I would not bother with on my waveski. I forget how fast a long boat can get through the break zone compared to the shorter surf rides. Correspondingly, it gets on waves way faster. As I played more and more this morning, really got more of a feel for the Delphin and what it is capable of. For one, it can definitely carve long directions changes. Something my shorter, 14' Impex RM Mystic cannot do because it lacks the hard chines and flat bottom of Delphin. Unlike the Mystic which wants to slide out more, the Delphin planes up to speed fairly quickly and then the magic of the hard chines on in the front and back of the seat area really kicks in, allowing the boat to really carve into the wave in a way that rounder chines of the Mystic cannot. I also learn first-hand the advantage of the higher volume bow of the Delphin. Twice I dove into the trough in front of a steep wave. Instead of pitchpoling, I was able to lean back and let the bow quickly popped back out of the water. I was able then to regain the wave and continue with the ride in. Pretty cool. :)

On a different note. What I am NOT in love with is the plastic GoPro mounts. Last week, I had a mount snapped when I plunged my waveski into the trough of an overhead wave. Understandable and a good thing that I had a retainer cord that tied my GoPro to the waveski footstraps. So, I didn't lose the camera. Today, I lost the camera. In my rush to paddle out, I forgot to attach a retainer cord for the camera. On the very first paddle out, I get through a set of 4 waves only to have the last one break on me. I speared through, looked up and saw that the camera was gone. Bummer. Especially since we are talking a a 4' wave, not some overhead monster. Definitely not happy about the ease in which the plastic mount snapped. Means the GoPro mount is really, really not appropriate for anything more than knee high surf. :(

Despite the "expense" of this session, I still enjoyed getting to play around more with the Delphin 150. Maybe "like" can morph into "love..." ;)

sing

Comments

  • Always good to see a paddler having a good day but a bummer about losing the camera. I have a suction cup mount for mine with the tethers attached so I don't forget to use them. Works for my non-surfing use.

    I've not paddled a Delphin but know a few coaches who do; also see lots of them at symposiums. Most definitely a popular boat. Sounds like the start of a happy romance. :)

  • @Rookie said:
    Always good to see a paddler having a good day but a bummer about losing the camera. I have a suction cup mount for mine with the tethers attached so I don't forget to use them. Works for my non-surfing use.

    Irony -- I had just ordered aftermarket base mounts and GoPro camera cage made of aluminum. These come in tomorrow... :'(

    sing

  • Ouch! I'm always super careful to have the gopro leashed to something. I don't use the floaty back, but maybe it's a good idea. I know a SUP surfer who told me she lost two gopros before starting to use the float. I personally don't fool around with the gopro very much . I found it too time consuming to mess with when the waves were good, and the dreaded lens water spot always seems to form just on the best wave. I'm out from surfing , for a while , it looks like BPPV vertigo, every time I think it's done it starts up again, haven't surfed in a month. I did do some mild body surfing when my sons and grandson were home for the holidays. then head was spinning again in the middle of the night.

  • edited January 7

    @SeaDart said:
    I personally don't fool around with the gopro very much . I found it too time consuming to mess with when the waves were good, and the dreaded lens water spot always seems to form just on the best wave. I'm out from surfing , for a while , it looks like BPPV vertigo, every time I think it's done it starts up again, haven't surfed in a month. I did do some mild body surfing when my sons and grandson were home for the holidays. then head was spinning again in the middle of the night.

    Yeah, I haven't done much with pics/video in a long time because it's distracting when I usually in a rush to get on the water (thus forgetting to do a retainer cord to the camera). I had just gotten the GoPro several weeks ago because I was intrigued by the ability to take pics/video using voice commands. No need to reach and fumble around with a button when a good set is coming through. Plus, my vision is pretty fuzzy to look for buttons or screen without my progressives on (ah... that age thing again...) LOL! Anyway, on land, the voice commands seem to work well in capturing. Unfortunately, both times with on-the-water attempts met with mount failures. Am not sure whether the voice command control will work or not in a surf venue.

    Sorry to hear about the vertigo. A friend of mine got it and she said she could barely get out of bed for a week. Then she got occasional bouts. It totally undermined her confidence in doing any outdoor physical endeavor. Hope the vertigo passes, however that happens...

    sing

  • edited January 10

    This winter has been much too warm and relatively placid. But, it looks like a real nor'easter (storm just off the New England coast) may be possible for the latter part of the weekend. May be a window for post nor'easter swells for Tuesday/Wednesday...

    Fingers crossed for some longboat or waveski play.

    sing

  • I'm glad you're liking the Delphin, I thought you would get along well with it. I think it's a very well designed boat for surf and rough water, performance oriented while still being reassuring.
    I'm hauling my fat butt to a cardio kickboxing class tomorrow, and I've started walking a lot. Headed out of town for next week, but maybe I'll try and hook up with you later in the month, once I'm back and a little more up to speed. At least for a long boat session. I'm still thinking about selling the surf kayak, because I dislike squeezing myself into it, although maybe I'll try tweaking the outfitting one more time. I'm thinking a sup might be easiest on my body for surfing, also helps to already have one in the garage that just needs a little love.

  • The high pressure sitting over is going to force the incoming storm to go into the ocean in the mid-Atlantic area. We'll miss the snow in southern New England but also the better swells... Still looks like some rideable mid week swells in the 3' foot range.

    Oh well... Better than flatness.

    sing

  • @Johnnysmoke said:
    I'm glad you're liking the Delphin, I thought you would get along well with it. I think it's a very well designed boat for surf and rough water, performance oriented while still being reassuring.
    I'm hauling my fat butt to a cardio kickboxing class tomorrow, and I've started walking a lot. Headed out of town for next week, but maybe I'll try and hook up with you later in the month, once I'm back and a little more up to speed. At least for a long boat session. I'm still thinking about selling the surf kayak, because I dislike squeezing myself into it, although maybe I'll try tweaking the outfitting one more time. I'm thinking a sup might be easiest on my body for surfing, also helps to already have one in the garage that just needs a little love.

    Thanks for the recommendation. I am liking the Delphin. Definitely, surfs better than the Mystic. "Reassuring" --- Not sure what that means. I care about performance or quality of wave-riding. That's what i like about waveskis - best riding for quality waves. ;)

    Where are you doing KB classes?

    sing

  • I'm doing the "I Love Kickboxing" classes. I bought passes a few years ago, and only used about half of them, so I'm going to try and use them up. It's basically a glorified aerobics class with bags and gloves, but it's a good enough workout for me, and it's close.
    The Delphin reassuring comment, it's a boat that takes care of you even, you could take your hands off the paddle and it won't dump you, but it's still super responsive. Compared to something like a Nigel Foster Legend, which is highly responsive, but will buck you if you're not on your A game.

  • edited January 14

    @Johnnysmoke said:
    I'm doing the "I Love Kickboxing" classes. I bought passes a few years ago, and only used about half of them, so I'm going to try and use them up. It's basically a glorified aerobics class with bags and gloves, but it's a good enough workout for me, and it's close.
    The Delphin reassuring comment, it's a boat that takes care of you even, you could take your hands off the paddle and it won't dump you, but it's still super responsive. Compared to something like a Nigel Foster Legend, which is highly responsive, but will buck you if you're not on your A game.

    KB is a good all around HIIT workout. Pretty good carry over to surf zone, short of actually paddling through the surf zone 2 or 3 times a week (I wish for such consistent surf opportunities!). LOL! The trick is to work yourself in and to not get over-done in a class when you overdo and end up hurting yourself. "High Intensity" is relative and should be measured against one's own level of anaerobic and muscular skeletal fitness. Sometimes, in classes, one can overdo by trying to keep up (unconsciously compete) in output with others more advanced in the class. Be careful with that. If you work in rounds, you can vary intensity by the length of rounds, the number of rounds and the duration of rest periods. It's good to track these and work up length, number and intensity in a planned gradual manner.

    I do HIIT heavy bag workouts 3-4 times/week and teach application KB class once a week. If you get into it and want some pointers, let me know.

    In terms of the Delphin being "reassuring", I find most paddle crafts are compared to my waveskis. B)

    sing

Sign In or Register to comment.
Message Boards Close

Hello, Paddler!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!