Broad River, SC - spring 2019

I’m looking for some info about Broad River.
I’m in Ohio in the snow and cold right now, but looking forward towards spring. I understand that South Carolina has become a smallmouth bass destination and I’d love to paddle the Broad River for about a week sometime in March, April or May.
Any of you good folks know that area?
I’m looking for camping spots and shuttle service specifically. I’d also be happy to join up with some paddlers who know the river.
Are there outfitters on the Broad River that any of you have experience with?
Thanks for any input.

We have several likely suspects in that area. Castoff is one. I’ll let him know you’re asking.
Pls post this on the Advice section. You will get more answers.

Hi River Rat, I have caught a few Smallmouth Bass in the Broad and also Channel cats. I have put in at Sandy River off of Hwy 121, this is where I have caught a couple. Usually don’t fish, but do a fair amount of paddling. I have also fished some out of Shelton Ferry Landing and caught fish. I usually take out at Strother landing on Hwy 34. I have paddled the Broad from Peak to Harbison State Forest, but not fished it.

There are sections with rocks, and at low water can be interesting, but the river is not difficult. Better water clarity at low water and muddy at high water. I often paddle the Enoree, but only fished it twice and caught a channel cat. I live close to the Saluda River and April and May the Blue and Flathead Cats are in the river to spawn, and are fun to catch. There is also a Striped Bass spawning run on the Saluda. Doing a river clean up last year at the end of March talked with a local fisherman that was fishing for them near Chappels. They fish it when the lake greenwood dam releases water I believe.

The Broad runs through a section of Sumter National Forest and I have gotten river camping permits at the USFW office near Whitmire to camp on the Enoree. There are also primitive Forest campgrounds. I don’t know the private campground, but there are some of those also.

If I am around when you head this way. I would be willing to paddle and fish some with you. I just dabble with fishing for the most part.

Here is a link to info on the Broad River.

Here is a link to the Enoree Ranger District of Sumter National Forest.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/scnfs/recarea/?recid=47225

A few Photos of the Broad River this is high water below Sandy River Landing.

Low water just below Shelton Ferry Landing.

Holding in an eddy at High Water below Peak.

Blue cat caught in the Saluda River.

@castoff said:
Hi River Rat, I have caught a few Smallmouth Bass in the Broad and also Channel cats. I have put in at Sandy River off of Hwy 121, this is where I have caught a couple. Usually don’t fish, but do a fair amount of paddling. I have also fished some out of Shelton Ferry Landing and caught fish. I usually take out at Strother landing on Hwy 34. I have paddled the Broad from Peak to Harbison State Forest, but not fished it.

There are sections with rocks, and at low water can be interesting, but the river is not difficult. Better water clarity at low water and muddy at high water. I often paddle the Enoree, but only fished it twice and caught a channel cat. I live close to the Saluda River and April and May the Blue and Flathead Cats are in the river to spawn, and are fun to catch. There is also a Striped Bass spawning run on the Saluda. Doing a river clean up last year at the end of March talked with a local fisherman that was fishing for them near Chappels. They fish it when the lake greenwood dam releases water I believe.

The Broad runs through a section of Sumter National Forest and I have gotten river camping permits at the USFW office near Whitmire to camp on the Enoree. There are also primitive Forest campgrounds. I don’t know the private campground, but there are some of those also.

If I am around when you head this way. I would be willing to paddle and fish some with you. I just dabble with fishing for the most part.

Here is a link to info on the Broad River.
https://www.gopaddlesc.com/waterways/trail/broad-river

Here is a link to the Enoree Ranger District of Sumter National Forest.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/scnfs/recarea/?recid=47225

A few Photos of the Broad River this is high water below Sandy River Landing.

Low water just below Shelton Ferry Landing.

Holding in an eddy at High Water below Peak.

Blue cat caught in the Saluda River.

Thank Doug.