An expression I HATE!

Had a conversation with a Doc my age about a small issue. He says “Welcome to old age”.
Expressed in any form that sentiment makes me boil.
I’m suppose that’s immature and I intend to feel that way for at least another 10 years.
One of my paddling partners is 8 years older than me and still going strong. Jack is older than dirt and still rolling strong.
My idols.

my personal experience. 65 ain’t the new 50, but I’m getting er done.

And unlike John Denver, I don’t like pretty girls calling me “sir”.

A little too windy and cold (at 60 degrees) to paddle here today, so Grayhawk and I sat around and discussed hearing aids while Nanci laughed

On almost every phone call, my mother says, “I’m getting older.”

My snappy response: So is everybody.

“We don’t stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.” ~ George Bernard Shaw

It’s your doc who’s getting old, not you since you’re still playing. :slight_smile:

Honestly, I am learning to accept “getting old.” Everytime, I do a sparring session with the younger guys in the MMA gym, I am aching for days, even when I hold my own for the first couple of rounds. In admitting that I am getting old, I give myself permission to “not compete” with younger and almost always bigger guys. Only time I don’t feel old is sparring with one or two of the “older guys” who are still willing to mix it up. These guys are usually 10-15 years younger than me.

None of my age peers who used to spar/compete do so anymore. I actually think they are probably smarter than me.

sing

Beginning to embrace age and aging with a little more humility.

I find myself being a little more cautious just because it takes so much longer to heal.
The first time I entered a hospital though the front door I was 66 YO. Before that it was always though the ER.

I think of this way; there is an option to getting older.
The option is NOT getting older.
Pick your poison.

Nobody gets out of here alive…deal with it
I survived the car wreck pictured; felt like I was living on borrowed time after that.
51 years have passed; I’m still kickin’. Feeling happy & lucky to be alive.

BOB

@Paatit said:

65 is the new 50, so long as you accept that 9pm is the new midnight.

Here, for those who truly don’t want (or can’t accept) aging…

Live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDi43Hq23qQ

sing

@sing said:
Here, for those who truly don’t want (or can’t accept) aging…

Live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDi43Hq23qQ

sing

I want people to say “OMG he looks terrible it’s a wonder he made it this long”

@JackL said:
A little too windy and cold (at 60 degrees) to paddle here today, so Grayhawk and I sat around and discussed hearing aids while Nanci laughed

What?

@Peter-CA said:

@Paatit said:

65 is the new 50, so long as you accept that 9pm is the new midnight.

:smiley:

I have ankles, knees, hips, fingers, wrists and back that tells me every morning I’m getting older. But I have friends twenty and thirty years older that remind me how young I really am.

My view is that old is 20 years older that I happen to be at the time. I’ve held that view for at least 40 years.

Older than dirt!
And yet still above it?
Time’s pulling ahead
and yet still you love it,
this running of race.
Is there rat spinning mill?
You tread on (just surface).
What goes in for the kill?

@rival51 said:
My view is that old is 20 years older that I happen to be at the time. I’ve held that view for at least 40 years.

That’s about it. If one happens to hang around or compete with younger guys a lot, then one really has a lot of opportunities to realize (if not fully accept) that one is old! LOL!

sing
young old guy

Hey String, I have the honor and privilege of bicycling with some of my sports heroes. I’m the baby at 63. The 66 year old is strong. The 72 year old is stronger. The 81 year old is the alpha male. If there was a nation-wide or world-wide competition for bicycle road racing this guy would have to place way up in the top 5% in his age group. I want to be just like him when I grow up.

edit: I just remembered that the 81 year old was down in your neck of the woods last summer… he was at the Hincapie organization getting some pointers from the pros!

edit #2: I had the value of staying active shoved in my face about three years ago. I had chest pains one night and had my wife drive me to the emergency room. I thought for sure I had broken a rib while trimming trees earlier in the day. Naw. I had blood clots in my lungs and my left leg. The doctor says, ‘Mr. Rex, when I look at images like this the patient is normally in intensive care or the morgue.’ I guess not being a couch potato saved my hide that night.

One more edit: Jack and Nanci are my idols, too.

When my wife said I needed hearing aids, I wouldn’t hear of it.