Looking to purchase a kayak

Hello. I’m relatively new to Kayaking and I’m looking for some advice. I’m part of a group that is actively managing a small pond. We’re in the process of harvesting water chestnuts. Up to this point we’ve gone out in pairs using a canoe. I’d like to purchase a kayak so I’m able to get out by my self when I have the time. . I’m 6’ tall and weight about 240 lbs. I’m looking for a kayak I can use without breaking the bank. Any suggestions? Thanks

If what you’ve mentioned are your only criteria, your options are pretty limitless. Even a cheap “pool toy” big box store kayak would be suitable for a leisurely float around a small pond. Of course there are better options out there, but if price is your main concern find one of these on the used market to get you started. You may find that you like it and want to take it further, and if you do then upgrade as needed.

I’ve watched many reviews on various kayaks and some of them are quite informative. The only thing that’s not mentioned is the size of the individual. Some of the kayaks I’ve looked at seem fine and look like they’ll do the job but the max weight is 250 or 275 lbs. how close can you get to the max weight and still stay dry?

To harvest water chestnuts you need to reach down into the water and pull them up from the bottom. A canoe rides a little high but it can be done. I’m hoping a kayak will bring me a little closer to the water and is stable enough for me to lean over a little and reach down into the water.

With two people in a canoe, you may have had the benefit of one person offsetting the lean of the other. You won’t get this with a kayak. Most of the sort I’ve alluded to will be very wide, mostly flat on the bottom, and extremely stable compared to longer and narrower boats. If this doesn’t give you enough stability, you can always consider adding a homemade outrigger for support. Go out with a partner in either a kayak or canoe and you lean way out hanging onto their boat for support, if you’re comfortable with that.

The weight limit on kayaks is pretty subjective. Some give a comfortable weight for optimal usage, others give a maximum weight before you start to sink. If you take my suggestion to purchase used, you should take the opportunity to test paddle the boat and this will give you an idea of whether you’re too heavy for the boat in question.

Note that I’m usually heard telling people: “Kayaking is a wet sport”. Expect not to stay completely dry. Depending on circumstances, you may be able to stay mostly dry but probably not as much as with a canoe.

I have done some water sampling for the local Waterkeeper. I use my relatively narrow NDK Explorer, not ideal for this application. When I get to the sampling site, I center my spare paddle as an outrigger for both sides of the kayak, On each paddle blade I afix a paddlefloat and secure the paddle in front of me by using a strap passed under the kayak (the strap is passed underneath before I launch).

Get a Sit on Top. They come with a tank well to put the chestnuts in. Maybe a Perception Pescador.

@rays said:
…………… Up to this point we’ve gone out in pairs using a canoe. …………………. >

Just go solo in the canoe.

The canoe probably needs a counter balance…

I second the sit on top kayak idea. I’d look for one with a capacity of at least 300 pounds for you.

I don’t know much about water chestnuts, but am assuming they are not growing in cold areas? Sit on tops are a bit wet of a ride, so you’d only want to use if you are Ok with getting a bit more wet than you would in a canoe.

I am 6’1”, 210 (was 230 last summer when kayaking. Just started kayaking last summer as well, started with the “pool toy/box store” kayak as someone mentioned. A Sundolphin Aruba 10… great inexpensive boat ($249 for it and a paddle on sale). Got me out on the water, super stable and easy to carry, 275 lb limit. Loved kayaking so much I’ve already upgraded the kayak as we have a large lake at the cottage and a nearby river that goes for days that I plan on going down. Now I’m into a Current Designs Kestrel 120.

As someone mentioned, for the odd short trip in a pond, stability might be your main goal right now. Upgrade later if you want to get more into it. Aim for recreational kayak, 27-30” wide. Search used sites (CL or kijiji etc) you’ll find a deal.

Look for a used beater that you don’t sink. Where are you? . Folks here can probably suggest places to find used boats around you. How do you plan to transport it to the pond?

Is this more a work platform or something to cruise with? If the former, you might want to consider a broad SUP. You can’t get closer to the water without swimming than laying on a board. It would certainly allow you to reach down to yank weeds. Toss the pulled weeds into a tub-trug type bucket that can float alongside you on a tether. My harbor is shallower so I just have to wait for lower tide heights to pull milfoil and chestnuts, but if it were deeper this would be more the route I’d go. Options.

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Have you considered a nice little row boat?

@Celia said:
Look for a used beater that you don’t sink. Where are you? . Folks here can probably suggest places to find used boats around you. How do you plan to transport it to the pond?

I live in central Massachusetts.

I have access to a barn that’s less than 300 feet from the pond.

@Marshall said:
Is this more a work platform or something to cruise with? If the former, you might want to consider a broad SUP. You can’t get closer to the water without swimming than laying on a board. It would certainly allow you to reach down to yank weeds. Toss the pulled weeds into a tub-trug type bucket that can float alongside you on a tether. My harbor is shallower so I just have to wait for lower tide heights to pull milfoil and chestnuts, but if it were deeper this would be more the route I’d go. Options.

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Thanks. Last year I attended a hands on event to learn how to identify and harvest water chestnuts. I was given a sit in kayak to use. I just threw the water chestnuts between my feet. All and all everything worked out quite well. Problem is I don’t remember the make or model of the kayak I used. I was thinking of a blow up type snow tube I could tow along to store the harvest. Glad to know that is a possibility.

@Photecs said:
I am 6’1”, 210 (was 230 last summer when kayaking. Just started kayaking last summer as well, started with the “pool toy/box store” kayak as someone mentioned. A Sundolphin Aruba 10… great inexpensive boat ($249 for it and a paddle on sale). Got me out on the water, super stable and easy to carry, 275 lb limit. Loved kayaking so much I’ve already upgraded the kayak as we have a large lake at the cottage and a nearby river that goes for days that I plan on going down. Now I’m into a Current Designs Kestrel 120.

As someone mentioned, for the odd short trip in a pond, stability might be your main goal right now. Upgrade later if you want to get more into it. Aim for recreational kayak, 27-30” wide. Search used sites (CL or kijiji etc) you’ll find a deal.

Thanks for the info. I’ll look more into the Aruba 10.