SOT kayak with trolling motor top heavy?

First off, it’s great that the paddling purists are tolerant of trolling motor discussions.

I’d posted something regarding SOT trolling use a while ago, and was made aware of a pretty serious problem that I hadn’t considered. Someone mentioned that SOTs are made top heavy with batteries. If I’m using an SOT rather than a canoe, it’s because I’m in rougher conditions, and would want to get back on in the event of a capsize. If batteries preclude this, then there is a problem.

The best design I’ve found thus far for motoring seems to be the Nucanoe F10
https://www.nucanoe.com/frontier-10/

The seat looks comfortable, I really don’t care to stand, though this might be an option for those that want to, it’s reasonably light, and has a square stern with a place for a battery behind the seat. Do you think I’d be able to reboard after a capsize with a 60+ lb battery, or would it likely be very difficult?

If any kayak manufacturers are reading, it seems that having a way to keep the center of gravity really low with a battery would be ideal, even at the expense of a deeper draft. If I want to fish 3" puddles, a canoe will work fine. If I want to push through open water for some distance, stability would be preferable.

I’m already on your sh*t list, so I won’t hesitate to say the following:

You’ve been asking about this and related things since about 2015. Yes, go check the message history. Four years. I scanned through those posts and you have not, contrary to your assertion, received much (if any) support for motors in relation to paddle sport. Furthermore, most of your ideas for various oddball watercraft creations and combinations have been rejected for one reason or another.

It’s high time you took action. Put your money where your mouth is (or rather where your fingers are). Built it, test it, and refine it. Make it do what you want it to do. Perhaps you’ll make loads of money selling your ideas. Perhaps not. You’ll never know until you try. Sh*t or get off the pot, my friend.

No offense taken.

The more I look at boating, and by this I mean paddling and motoring, the more it’s apparent that things are done as they are for good reason. Of course people do rig motors to paddle craft, as I’ve done, but there are inherent problems. The efforts in overcoming the problems require so much compromise in terms of money, stability, etc. that it becomes apparent that often times new solutions aren’t worth it.

The above is sort of a last idea before simply deciding on using the paddled canoe for small water, and a little motorboat for larger water.

Motors and batteries are generally kept low down in the boat, so wouldn’t really impact the balance point in most situations.

2 concerns:

1. the boat should be one that can take the added weight of a motor and battery on top of the weight of paddler and other gear.
  2. motors are often installed at the stern. Most are relatively small, but thought should be done on whether this would make the boat too stern heavy, changing its balance. Maybe best to have the battery installed not in the stern.

@Peter-CA said:
Motors and batteries are generally kept low down in the boat, so wouldn’t really impact the balance point in most situations.

Good to know, thanks.