What’s the difference between paddles for fishing and regular kayak paddles?

I’m curious: what’s the difference between, say, a Werner Shuna “hooked” and a regular Werner Shuna paddle? Is the word “hooked” actually descriptive, or just to market the paddle as being for fishing? Thanks.

A new one on me but Werner says…

“Werner Hooked fishing paddle have a smooth one piece shaft, with no external parts our shaft offers anglers confidence that fishing line and tackle won’t being getting snagged on their paddle.”

Or maybe another way of saying “our cheapest shaft”

Seems like an attempt to hook you into thinking you need to buy a new paddle for fishing.

Ha ha! I don’t fish, but I was intrigued by the terminology.

Fishing paddles cost more!

Good thing I only want to kayak then.

Some fishing paddles have a “hook” in the blade…like a boat hook.

Look at the lower blade on he edge.
https://m.llbean.com/llb/shop/87976?productId=1470433&attrValue_0=Brown%20Camouflage&pla1=0&mr:trackingCode=0C8D43B9-ADF8-E611-80F3-00505694403D&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=m&mr:adType=plaonline&qs=3124986&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnKHlBRDLARIsAMtMHDE4q9ewdAHWzkjBFbsb2ZAfzYkoTlRO6NdkFZrEhnoqY8Nr5KgK0VUaAp1QEALw_wcB&pn=pd&skCatId=87976

Ah, interesting, thanks.

@Overstreet said:

https://m.llbean.com/llb/shop/87976?productId=1470433&attrValue_0=Brown%20Camouflage&pla1=0&mr:trackingCode=0C8D43B9-ADF8-E611-80F3-00505694403D&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=m&mr:adType=plaonline&qs=3124986&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnKHlBRDLARIsAMtMHDE4q9ewdAHWzkjBFbsb2ZAfzYkoTlRO6NdkFZrEhnoqY8Nr5KgK0VUaAp1QEALw_wcB&pn=pd&skCatId=87976

Yeah, no chance your line could ever catch in there…
Just get a Hobie you don’t need a paddle…

@grayhawk said:

@Overstreet said:

Yeah, no chance your line could ever catch in there…
Just get a Hobie you don’t need a paddle…

Just a healthy account.

If your catching fish the “fishing” ones are the best !
If your not catching fish you need to change to the “Fishing” ones
If your are “catch and release” just keep what ever you have

Nobody mentioned that “fishing paddles” are sometimes a very ugly color.

The decal on the blade.

I suppose it’s obvious that the notch in the fishing paddle is to ‘hook’ the line so that you can draw it in toward the cockpit to grab it without spilling your beer, possibly even losing the whole 6-pack. :wink:

And here I thought it was so you could hook your buddy’s belt loop and pull up his pants so you didn’t have to keep looking at his ass crack.

:smiley: I needed that laugh. Thanks!

My Dad told me that new gear wasn’t for catching fish. It is for catching fisherpersons. Back then it was fishermen …

I have no clue what “hook” is for. I usually use my paddle as a stake out pole in the soft mud at tidal ambush points.

The notch is for grabbing your line if you snagged. I read this notch can catch on plants if trying to paddle through lilly pads or other plants. If that was a problem for you small piece of gorilla tape would fix it. I bought Bass Pro fiberglass shaft paddles because they were much lighter than aluminum shaft and they have the slot and only $79 at the time. It has proven to be handy.

If you really want a notch like this in a paddle, a few minutes with a small coarse round file will do it.

…though I can’t see myself doing this any time soon.