"Antidotes" -- Sharing The Stoke

Love the sentiment and the sharing.

https://www.swellinfo.com/video/antidotes-video

(Minor wish for someone to suggest a shorter paddle and how to hold it for the waveskier.)

sing

Nice.

But the instructor in me had the same thoughts about the paddle…

So when you paddle one of these wave boards, you hold the paddle upside down. She must have taken lessons from the same dude who taught a guy I see occasionally.

I was paddling last year outside of Denver in my downriver boat, which granted is a little different from most kayaks you see, when a guy in a fairly nice rec 12’ kayak paddled out towards me. We proceeded to have a very strange conversation, which was basically him berating me and telling me that even though I was in a “fancy” kayak, he had so much more experience and talent than I did, and that he’d paddled much faster boats than mine, etc. I was a little dumbfounded by his barrage, and just sat there quietly. When he was finally done and went to paddle away, I just couldn’t resist very politely pointing out that he might be even faster and more efficient if he didn’t have his paddle upside down. One of the strangest encounters I’ve ever had while paddling.

@magooch said:
So when you paddle one of these wave boards, you hold the paddle upside down. She must have taken lessons from the same dude who taught a guy I see occasionally.

She??? The waveboarder’s profile at 1:42 shows a goatee.

Or maybe a Jay Leno chin.

Few people want to be told they’re doing something “wrong”. Even fewer are men.

When I see upside down paddles or other faux-pas, I just quietly note it to myself and carry on.

@Sparky961 said:

When I see upside down paddles or other faux-pas, I just quietly note it to myself and carry on.

I absolutely agree, and usually do the same. However, after being belittled and berated, I didn’t mind pointing it out to him.