Can I fix this?

Hey folks, first time poster!

Can I fix this? If so, how can I go about doing so?

Thanks!

This appears to be a polyethylene boat, so your best bet is to put it out in the sun on a hot day and let the “memory” of the plastic restore the shape as much as possible. If you live where the weather is still cool, you can try using a space heater or a lamp with an incandescent bulb as a heat source.

As Bnystrom suggested - take the pressure which pit it out f shape off and provide some heat, and the plastic will try to reset back to its original shape. May not make it all the way back, but will be much improved.

Can be sped up by pouring hot water on the bent section. But the slow process is probably better.

Make sure it isn’t put back on the rack, as that rack will cause the dent to happen again. The load needs to be spread out.

Is the photo from a store? Is this a boat you are considering buying?

@Peter-CA said:
As Bnystrom suggested - take the pressure which pit it out f shape off and provide some heat, and the plastic will try to reset back to its original shape. May not make it all the way back, but will be much improved.

Can be sped up by pouring hot water on the bent section. But the slow process is probably better.

Make sure it isn’t put back on the rack, as that rack will cause the dent to happen again. The load needs to be spread out.

Is the photo from a store? Is this a boat you are considering buying?

Yes, I bough it… they gave it to me for half price… and 90 day full refund if not satisfied! Can’t go wrong… my first kayak… I am n angler… so this isn’t a fancy boat. But got good reviews for angling purposes… slow, but stable and can stand for casting.

And yes it is polyethylene. It’s made by Pelican

thanks folks!

Can’t go wrong ! :wink:

If you can prop the hull up partially on its side so that so that the indentation is against the ground you can apply some weight to the inside of the hull. Multiple bags filled with warm to hot water would probably work well.

Unlikely to return to cosmetically perfect but very likely will return to a fully functional state.

Looking closer at your photos, I see scupper holes, which makes this a sit on top. Getting weight on the inside pushing out will be hard, unless ther is a hatch opening that allows you access to the spot. One option would be to place the indent down and pour hot water in through the drain plug. This will be challenging to d, and perhaps not effective.

If you can’t get access, just heating up from the outside while there is no pressure pushing that indent back in will help to return to close to its original. The pressure on inside pushing out is helpful, but not required.

@robracco@gmail.com said:

my first kayak………………… I am n angler… so this isn’t a fancy boat. ………… slow, but stable…………

If you’re not going to paddle far. Any mostly sit and soak bait. Try it as is. If it doesn’t affect stability and you don’t want to paddle much does it make any functional difference? I think not.