How to pick an “all round guest” sea kayak?

Hi All,

I am super new to all this. We purchased a waterfront cabin project on Orcas Island (San Juan Islands, Washington) about 18 months ago.
I did a lot of research and chatting with local folks (pros and enthusiasts) before buying a great looking used NDK Romany Surf. This will be my boat.

I also want to have a kayak on hand for visiting old friends and family. Looking for a sea kayak that will work for local waters and different body types and experience levels. My closest friends who would visit are tall and slender. But my question is this: if I were to buy a second kayak what would work for the greatest range of guest paddlers?

Thanks!

Max

Get a short, fat rec boat for you to paddle. Put your guest in your fastest boat. You’ll still be waiting for them.

Until the “new car smell” fades I think I will be using my boat exclusively.

I guess another way of phrasing this question: is it better to stuff a taller/ bigger paddler into a smaller boat or have smaller/lighter guests use a larger person boat?

Nice boat, that NDK. Congrats!

Sparky’s being goofy. Something along these lines should do: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/seattle-venture-jura-mv-kayak/6863121852.html

When guiding the boat that worked for most was the Current designs “Storm” RM with rudder or the CD Sirocco RM no rudder. CD doesn’t list them but many used around.

Ok, ok… Bigger is better. You’re more likely to be just toodling around looking at the scenery, and won’t be out in any severe conditions. In this situation a smaller person can handle a “too large” boat just fine. Only a certain percentage of your guests will fit into a “too small” boat.

Begin you fleet. Get one of each. :wink:

Of course, this is coming from a guy who’s a very biased 6’2".

I am a tiny 6’3” at 230”…

If you’re talking about tall folks who aren’t really heavy you can move the seats back in some boats. They can get in and out easily and you don’t get stuck with an oversized barge. Also… get a ‘spare’ that you will use. For instance, if your boat is a 17 foot speedy, tracky kinda boat, get yourself a 14 foot turny-wind-and-waves-master as your second boat.

Putting a tall fat guest in a tiny boat leads to instability and at that point you have to say “how are my rescue skills”. Even in calm water.

Well, to get specific …
In Victoria, not too far from you, John Abercrombie has a kevlar Necky Tesla with a fair amount of gear for 1200 Canadian. John restores Mariners mostly, but has the Necky. He is a straightforward, honest person that I have dealt with on several occasions. He is on the West Coast Paddlers forum - a very worthwhile site. Here is a reference to his Necky:
westcoastpaddler.com/community/threads/kevlar-necky-tesla-sea-kayak-17-x-24-complete-with-gear-1200-cad.8434/#post-90988

@Sparky961 said:
Ok, ok… Bigger is better. You’re more likely to be just toodling around looking at the scenery, and won’t be out in any severe conditions. In this situation a smaller person can handle a “too large” boat just fine. Only a certain percentage of your guests will fit into a “too small” boat.

Begin you fleet. Get one of each. :wink:

Like the rest of us.

I second the CD Sirocco. It’s a boat that just about anyone can fit into and it is a do-it-all boat.

@grayhawk said:
When guiding the boat that worked for most was the Current designs “Storm” RM with rudder or the CD Sirocco RM no rudder. CD doesn’t list them but many used around.

I was going to suggest the CD Pachena, a great all-around boat that is (I think) the composite version of the Storm, or is it the CD Breeze? Any of these would work well.

@PhotoMax said:
My closest friends who would visit are tall and slender. But my question is this: if I were to buy a second kayak what would work for the greatest range of guest paddlers?

How tall? Could make a difference, especially if quite a bit over 6’.

The guest boat should be a little on the wide side (like 24" or so) with a hull profile that provides good initial stability (usually means no hard chines) and a relatively large cockpit opening. And be made of plastic, for durability/less worry about when they bump into things.

When I consider a guest boat, I generally look for a boat I could also use that would give me a different type of paddle experience when I use it that would also be usable as a guest boat. So if I have a long sea kayak, then maybe I’ll get a shorter, day touring type kayak. Gives me a different paddle experience when I want it, but also allows me to have 2 boats so a guest could use one.

If you wanted to go the day touring route, Dagger Alchemy L, Dagger Stratos (L or S), or P&H Delphin all come to mind.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. This will be a very useful list to have while I watch used listings.

Our neighbors are laughing at me I think: they have four kayaks and seem amused with me falling down this rabbit hole… :smiley:

There is lots of company down that hole.

I’ve loaned a number of different kayaks in my fleet over the years and the one that was always most popular with folks of every size was the Venture Easky, which is 15’ x 22". I put friends (mostly beginners) from 5’ 3" 105 pounds to 6’ 1" 200 pounds in it and they all did fine, were able to keep reasonable pace with me in whatever I was paddling…

I think there are a lot of capable 14’ and 15’ poly day touring boats that would suffice and that turn up regularly used for under $600, like the Necky Looksha 14 and Elaho, the Tsunami 140, Riot Edge 14.5 and Perception Carolina 14.

Or another Romany. There is a reason they excelled as student boats. Lots of head room for a newer paddler.