Middle Fork of Vermillion River

I am planning my first trip on the Vermillion. I am interested in starting at Kinney’s ford to Kickapoo State Park and camping in the Park. I read this was about a 13 mile trip. I need some clarification/help on where to drop in and get out along the river at these points.
Thank you in advance for your help. I really appreciate it.
Emily

I will try but it has been 30 years since I went down that section in a canoe, just recently picked up a kayak. I have a book “A Guide To The Big Vermilion River System” copyright 1982 that has always been a good reference. Of course it is quite a bit out of date and shows iron truss bridges that have been replaced by modern types. The good side of this is most of the new bridges have better access to the river than the old style, so access is possible at almost every bridge.
You are correct about the distance, my book lists it as 12.8 miles but the water level can be a problem much of the year. We all know what low water is like but the DOC will also shut the river down when it reaches a certain depth because of safety concerns and will ticket you.
That is all I can think of now but feel free to ask anything else. I have most of my experience on the Salt Fork and The Big Vermilion, both have a more reliable water flow and fell in love with them. Jim.

1 Like

If you’re going by yourself, the canoe/kayak rental concession can shuttle you up to the put in for $25.

They can likely answer most of your questions about the put in options.

http://kickapooadventures.com/

It’s been 3 or 4 years since I was on that river.

Have fun and be safe.