The Iceman Leaveth. So did the snow tires.

Checked my favorite launch site Saturday. The ice had moved offshore of northern Lake Michigan’s Sturgeon Bay, but the ice walls that had been pushed onshore are still there. Not seven feet tall anymore, but certainly kayak-blocking. So I found an inland lake to paddle Sunday afternoon, for my first 2019 outing. Just a light breeze, flat water, and a waterscape barely beginning to awaken from its winter nap. Did hear some frogs, though, and that was a plus. Due to family commitments it was a short trip, only five miles, Worked on forward, reverse strokes, bow rudders, slideslips, draws, low brace turns, sculling draws… Paddled like a total klutz but luckily half the lake here at home thawed today, so there’s open water close by for more practice sessions. The only thing that did go exceptionally well was my MPG after getting my snow tires off. :slight_smile:

Congratulations on getting out (and making the tire commitment). We has the first club paddle at the local lake. Breezy out of the South (directly into the launch) but not nearly as much as when I went out last week. the water has warmed up some as well. A great night - we had 7 paddlers out.

Rookie…
52 mpg!
You’re killing me…

Your inland lake looks nice and peaceful. It was in the 70s down here Sunday and a holiday weekend so the recreational power boaters were out. Now we have to start using more secluded put-ins. Still haven’t seen a jet ski so hopefully you get a jetski-free month or two.

So does that fearless water dog swim alongside you?

@TomL It was very warm up here as well. High 60s. Ditched one top base layer but still roasted in my drysuit. Probably won’t see any power boats up here till Memorial Day weekend - snow possible this weekend. As I was paddling to my take-out, I watched a guy and gal unload their rec boats and launch. Water temp around 36-38F. At least they were wearing PFDs over their cotton shirts.

That fearless pup is a year-old Irish Water Spaniel. Related to him through family. Wouldn’t dare have him on the beach when I paddle out as he would follow. He loves the water and nothing deters him. Not even ice chunks.

@grayhawk Yeah, that MPG was crazy good. My little 2016 Honda Fit is aging better than I am.

Happy paddling! What do you drive that gets 52mpg?

@pikabike said:

2016 Honda Fit, six speed. That 52 MPG was a first. I think the planets were aligned correctly and no wind helped. Normal warm weather MPG is in the mid 40s.

Glad y’all are finally getting out.

@Overstreet said:
Glad y’all are finally getting out.

Thanks, Overstreet! Heading out as soon as I get home from work. Inland lake levels are at record breaking highs, so this evening’s exploration will be interesting. The summer people aren’t going to be happy the lake ate their beaches (and docks, for those silly enough to have built “permanent” ones).

FWIW, Lakes Michigan and Huron are +38 inches above chart datum, Superior is +16, and all are forecast to go higher this spring.

@Rookie said:

@pikabike said:

2016 Honda Fit, six speed. That 52 MPG was a first. I think the planets were aligned correctly and no wind helped. Normal warm weather MPG is in the mid 40s.

Wow. Great number. I have the automatic version. Highest I get is around 40 MPG on the highway. I consider that pretty good for a regular combustible. I was thinking of a Smart car. While that may be able cartop my waveski, I would definitely have to give up kayaking to get that car. LOL!

sing

@sing said:

Wow. Great number. I have the automatic version. Highest I get is around 40 MPG on the highway. I consider that pretty good for a regular combustible. I was thinking of a Smart car. While that may be able cartop my waveski, I would definitely have to give up kayaking to get that car. LOL!

sing

Maybe not. Here’s an Epic V10 carried on a Smart car:
https://www.canoekayak.com/photos/8-wild-paddling-rigs-from-ck-readers/

Paddling flood water is a new fun experience, assuming no current. I’ve often pulled up in yards, up to picnic tables, and up handicap ramps.

@Overstreet said:
Paddling flood water is a new fun experience, assuming no current. I’ve often pulled up in yards, up to picnic tables, and up handicap ramps.

Turned out to be fun and not fun. Paddling part was fun, but I was quite irritated about the amount of crap floating on the ice, left by the ice fishermen. Plastic bottles, hunks of wood, bobbers, styrofoam. Deplorable pigs! Picked up what I could, then back out tomorrow with a trash bag.

Hogs get to water and leave their mess everywhere unless they have to walk.

Our water gets this treatment when it rains and washes out the drains beside the roads.

@Rookie said:

@Overstreet said:

Turned out to be fun and not fun. Paddling part was fun, but I was quite irritated about the amount of crap floating on the ice, left by the ice fishermen. Plastic bottles, hunks of wood, bobbers, styrofoam. Deplorable pigs! Picked up what I could, then back out tomorrow with a trash bag.

you are lucky that was the only crap… In the summer after people have camped waterside there can be more of another form

We have had flooding in Maine due to snowmelt… There is quite a bit left in the Whites( skier posted a five foot snowpack on Avalanche Brook Trail just north of N Conway NH yesterday)… Add two inches of rain tomorrow and the flooding will be back.