Which paddle length should I purchase?

Hey everyone! I’m looking at purchasing a Werner Kalliste, but am having trouble figuring out which length I should get. I just purchased a 27.25" wide kayak (Dagger Katana 10.4), and am 5’11" tall, so I know I should be getting either a 220 or 230 cm paddle. Werner’s sizing chart recommends a 220, while this site’s sizing chart (and Aqua-Bound’s) recommends a 230. So, what should I go with? I appreciate the help!

If you can, I’d suggest you first try a 220 and a 230 cm and see which length you prefer. Doesn’t have to be a Kallista as it’s just giving you the feel of the different lengths.
If you can’t, I’d suggest a 230 cm since your height (one inch less than 6’) and the width of your boat ( 0.75 inch less than 28") are at the very end of the 220 cm Werner recommendation (shown below).
I purchased a Kalliste a couple months ago and, at 22 oz., it quickly became my favorite euroblade paddle.

The Katana is a crossover kayak - a boat made to do many things (from white water to flat water). The paddle choice and sizing would also depend on how you are using it.

I am guessing you selected touring based on your Kaliste with 220-230 results.

If you are planning to use it for any white water (swift moving rivers or creeks), this paddle and size may not be right. The fit guide does have a crossover selection under whitewater. You may want to redo the search using this category, if you will be using the boat on any white water. It would likely give you results that are more in the 200-210 range, and a paddle blade that is a little larger.

@Doug Gilliland said:
If you can, I’d suggest you first try a 220 and a 230 cm and see which length you prefer. Doesn’t have to be a Kallista as it’s just giving you the feel of the different lengths.
If you can’t, I’d suggest a 230 cm since your height (one inch less than 6’) and the width of your boat ( 0.75 inch less than 28") are at the very end of the 220 cm Werner recommendation (shown below).
I purchased a Kalliste a couple months ago and, at 22 oz., it quickly became my favorite euroblade paddle.

Thanks for the feedback, Doug! I was leaning towards 220 cm based on other threads that I’ve read, but I think I’ll go with the 230. Do you think a 230 would still be okay if I were to move towards high angle in the future?

@Peter-CA said:
The Katana is a crossover kayak - a boat made to do many things (from white water to flat water). The paddle choice and sizing would also depend on how you are using it.

I am guessing you selected touring based on your Kaliste with 220-230 results.

If you are planning to use it for any white water (swift moving rivers or creeks), this paddle and size may not be right. The fit guide does have a crossover selection under whitewater. You may want to redo the search using this category, if you will be using the boat on any white water. It would likely give you results that are more in the 200-210 range, and a paddle blade that is a little larger.

I would likely do no more than Class III rapids in the distant future (IV+ seems far too risky to me). I would purchase another paddle meant for WW when I start tackling rapids. I’m purchasing the Kalliste for touring!

@gallej said:
I would likely do no more than Class III rapids in the distant future (IV+ seems far too risky to me). I would purchase another paddle meant for WW when I start tackling rapids. I’m purchasing the Kalliste for touring!

Not related to what you originally asked, but you would likely find you need a different boat along with paddle for Class III or above rapids. Crossover boats are meant to do more than one type of kayaking Ok, but really don’t do either type of kayaking well.

Have fun with the boat. If you are like many of the rest of us, you will have more than one boat before long anyway.

Since you are one inch short of 6 ft tall you are again on the edge of a 220-230 with a high angle paddle. Don’t think Werner’s research on height vs. paddle length was accurate to the nearest inch in a paddler’s height. Personal preference would determine which is best for you.
Again I would suggest you try both lengths in a paddle before you make a $400+ decision. If you live anywhere near Sarasota, FL you’re welcome to try my 230 cm Kallista.

Also, I purchased mine from Outdoorplay.com with a 15% off coupon I found on the web, free shipping and no tax. The $415 was cut to $353. Still expensive but worth every cent as far as I’m concerned.

Get a relatively cheap 230(Aquabound) and use it for awhile. It’s good to have a spare if you choose to change.
Or get an adjustable 220-230.

If you want a bent shaft there’s a 230 cm used one on eBay right now - so far one bid at $175 + shipping.

@Doug Gilliland said:
Since you are one inch short of 6 ft tall you are again on the edge of a 220-230 with a high angle paddle. Don’t think Werner’s research on height vs. paddle length was accurate to the nearest inch in a paddler’s height. Personal preference would determine which is best for you.
Again I would suggest you try both lengths in a paddle before you make a $400+ decision. If you live anywhere near Sarasota, FL you’re welcome to try my 230 cm Kallista.

Also, I purchased mine from Outdoorplay.com with a 15% off coupon I found on the web, free shipping and no tax. The $415 was cut to $353. Still expensive but worth every cent as far as I’m concerned.

I ended up purchasing a new 230 cm for around $200! Thanks everybody!

Congratulations - enjoy your new paddle. Hope it works out well for you.

Where can you get a new Werner Kalliste for around $200???

@gallej said:

@Doug Gilliland said:

Good move.

@Doug Gilliland said:
Congratulations - enjoy your new paddle. Hope it works out well for you.

Thanks for the help Doug!

@Doggy Paddler said:
Where can you get a new Werner Kalliste for around $200???

I purchased it from Moosejaw for $440 after tax. I got 30% back in Moosejaw rewards (~$130), 20% cashback from RebatesMe (~$83), and a $30 Moosejaw credit since the paddle has slight factory defects (scratches).

@string said:

@gallej said:

@Doug Gilliland said:

Good move.

Thanks String! I’m looking forward to getting out on the water and using it.

Wow, great deal! Enjoy.