Insuring your new and Expensive canoe

Hi all. Newbie here. I just bought a new lightweight canoe and was looking to make sure it would be covered by insurance (theft, damage in transit, etc) and found my insurance company caps out at $1500 for this category. My boat is over $3000. So far, it appears the big name insurers’ scope are motorized craft and want to drop a bunch of liability/healthcare coverage, etc.

Anyone know of a good insurer who specializes in this?

You probably would have to place a rider on your home owners policy if you have one. I have two boats in that category.

I always figured it was up to me to protect my boats so insurance would be to protect them from my negligence. A liability rider would be a good idea in case you somehow hurt someone else.

Paint it rainbow coloured camo and you can stroke “theft” off your list of worries.

We have two canoes and three kayaks in that price range and I figure if one of them gets stolen, etc, I’ ll just buy another new one

Seems self insurance is cheaper. I have 13 boats. I am willing to accept the risk should anyone want to charge my backwoods property with dog

Ditto on the homeowner’s policy if applicable. I have three kayaks covered, all for full replacement value (one kayak is kevlar). That covers theft and damage at home. My insurance agent told me my car insurance would cover any theft or damage during transit.

@JackL said:
We have two canoes and three kayaks in that price range and I figure if one of them gets stolen, etc, I’ ll just buy another new one

Where do you live?

@string said:

@JackL said:

Where do you live?

Chicago area; Lake County

@Rookie said:
Ditto on the homeowner’s policy if applicable. I have three kayaks covered, all for full replacement value (one kayak is kevlar). That covers theft and damage at home. My insurance agent told me my car insurance would cover any theft or damage during transit.
Hi, I saw your comment above. What insurance carrier do you have? I spoke with a rep at my insurance and they say insurance is highly regulated and that it’s most likely other insurance providers can’t provide anything broader.

@ssphoto said:

@Rookie said:
Hi, I saw your comment above. What insurance carrier do you have? I spoke with a rep at my insurance and they say insurance is highly regulated and that it’s most likely other insurance providers can’t provide anything broader.

Am in Michigan. Pioneer State Mutual Ins. (a Michigan company) is my insurer for both home and vehicle. The kayaks are covered under a marine rider to my homeowner’s policy.

In addition to insuring perils to your canoe/kayaks, please also consider liability you might incur as an at fault (or blamed) vessel operator.

@ssphoto said:

@string said:

@JackL said:

Where do you live?

Chicago area; Lake County

I was asking Jack so I could come swipe a boat.

@Andy said:
In addition to insuring perils to your canoe/kayaks, please also consider liability you might incur as an at fault (or blamed) vessel operator.

Am curious about potential liability scenarios as a vessel operator (paddling a kayak), other than if you’re surfing, lose control and run into a swimmer or other surfer causing injury. Sometimes I paddle like a sloth and it’s hard to envision what kind of damage i could do.

Of course, if leading a tour or a group, sure, some form of liability insurance would be wise.

Stupid things happen… say rounding a corner kayak comes off the car roof ,hits an old lady pushing a baby carriage then rolls into the yard and takes out a ladder with someone cleaning gutters on it…
Or maybe not…

@string said:

@JackL said:

Where do you live?

In a cave with two shotguns, two pit bull dogs, and the perimeter outside booby trapped, but since you are harmless you are welcome

@Andy said:

I sure hope you are BS’ing !

@grayhawk said:
Stupid things happen… say rounding a corner kayak comes off the car roof ,hits an old lady pushing a baby carriage then rolls into the yard and takes out a ladder with someone cleaning gutters on it…
Or maybe not…

I would sue the owner of the ladder for damaging my yak and get one of those crooks that advertise on TV that claim they can get 300K for me

@JackL said:

@string said:

@JackL said:

Where do you live?

In a cave with two shotguns, two pit bull dogs, and the perimeter outside booby trapped, but since you are harmless you are welcome

And snakes in the river.

@grayhawk said:
Or maybe not…

While you’d be operating a car and not a vessel in those circumstances, it sure would make a great t.v. ad for Farmer’s Insurance.