Newbie with question about boat, MRC Express 16

Hi All,

I recently picked up an MRC Express 16 as my first boat. I’ve been looking for a deal on an Explorer, but found a deal I couldn’t pass up. I took the Express out with the dog, and promptly capsized.

I wonder if the issue around stability is due to me being green or if the hull isn’t a great fit for a newbie. I’d be curious how it would compare to the stability of the explorer?

Any thoughts and advice is appropriate.

Why with the dog? If you are new take it out yourself. Lots of information is omitted like where you were sitting in the Express? When did you capsize? On entry . In waves.?

The boat is not the problem… I have had rank beginners in class in an Express. The Express is a narrower shallower Explorer. If you sit near the ends you are inviting a problem. If you have an antsy dog…getting wet is guaranteed.

@kayamedic said:

The boat is not the problem…

I feel the same.

That’s a fair question… the dog went because the dog typically goes everywhere with me. We have spent quite a bit of time in a 17’ OT Rangeley, where I can even stand to fly fish. I clearly didn’t appreciate the difference between the boat types.

I initially sat in the bow seat with stern forward. I dropped down to my knees when it seemed to be a little unsteady. I appreciate your points, and get that the boat will work solo with me in a better position.

It sounds like you feel like the express and explorer are similar enough that there would not be any appreciable difference in stability?

@Btownbri said:
That’s a fair question… the dog went because the dog typically goes everywhere with me. We have spent quite a bit of time in a 17’ OT Rangeley, where I can even stand to fly fish. I clearly didn’t appreciate the difference between the boat types.

I initially sat in the bow seat with stern forward. I dropped down to my knees when it seemed to be a little unsteady. I appreciate your points, and get that the boat will work solo with me in a better position.

It sounds like you feel like the express and explorer are similar enough that there would not be any appreciable difference in stability?

Nope… It is all in your head… And that isn’t a cheap shot! Whenever you switch boats there is a period of head adjustment… Keep the boat and keep putting on the water time… Soon enough you will be comfortable.

After being in a tandem on a long canoe trip of a couple of weeks I feel like I am going in the drink in my 13 foot solo canoe ( which is 26 inches wide). After ten minutes everything is better

appreciate the advice. Thank you.