Cockpit Cover fit? Eclipse 17.0

I have a Perception Eclipse 17.0 and a Seals 2.2 cockpit cover. It fits well around the cockpit but sags in the middle. Water collects in it and the weight can pull it down into the kayak. I have made something to hold it up like a tent and it works well, but is a nuisance.
Seals website says 1.7 is the right size. I can’t find anywhere the difference between a 1.7 or a 2.2; Seals seems to be secretive about their dimensions. I don’t mind spending a few dollars for a 1.7, but would really hate to find it is no better than the 2.2.
Anyone able to help me with this?

A 2.2 is likely to be rather large. My Pygmy Arctic Tern uses a 1.7 (17" X 33" cockpit) and I find that to be pretty big.

I don’t know the specific dimensions, but the larger the Seals number the larger the cockpit it fits.

That said, I did talk to the owner of Seals a while back about a 1.4 versus 1.7, and he said the difference between those two wasn’t that great. And I do use a 1.4 neoprene (so more stretchy than a nylon) skirt from time to time on a boat they say should take a 1.7, and it does fit (tightly).

What I think would happen with a 1.7 is that it would fit tighter around the cockpit. This may be enough to hold the cockpit cover in place (not imploding with water weight). But the center of the skirts do often collect water, so it likely would gather some water like the current one does. And collected water does seem to find ways to seep through skirts/cockpit covers.

Could you just store the boat on its side or upside down so water can’t collect on the cockpit cover?

I think some people just put a beach ball in the the cockpit to keep the cover “tented”. I haven’t tried it yet.

I tried upside down, but without the cover waves during storms water filled the stern compartment; and with the cover it rips off in waves. On its side would be worse.
I have nylon now; would neoprene be better or worse? I would expect it would stretch better to install, but also stretch more to hold water.

I will try a beach ball first.

The number is the cockpit coaming circumference. There is a fair difference between the 1.7 vs. 2.2 meter size.

I just go with the Seals neoprene cockpit covers. No sag. Also makes a comfy heel rest under my feet while paddling.

Oh, in stock and shippable, of course. :slight_smile:

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Go to NRS web site. They have dims.

I’ll second Marshall’s suggestion. I had purchased a cockpit cover from Current Designs for my Prana. It fits around the cockpit but there’s so much excess material, it forms a bowl. I have a Hullavator and envisioned driving home in a rainstorm, then getting doused when I brought the boat off the roof.

Got the Seals neo cover from Marshall. It’s a very nice snug fit. I could bounce coins off it.

A rope tight around the cockpit is 2.1m. Seals recommends their 1.7, and I have a 2.2. I expect a 1.7 would have less flop in the middle, but it would also be a pain to use. A video on Seals shows a lot of flap on a properly fitted cover, though less than on mine.

I would think that a neoprene cover would be a better choice, but I am concerned that Seals say they are not water tight. Does that mean a cockpit full of water, or a few ounces? Also I read that they degrade in sunlight. Does that mean a life of 1 year or 10? I know I can avoid sunlight by keeping it upside down, but when I tried that with mine, the waves knocked it off. Maybe a better fitting neoprene wouldn’t do that, but $60 is a lot to find out.

The stores in town don’t have beach balls yet, but I am not sure what I would do with it while kayaking. This might be interesting.
https://www.austinkayak.com/Sea-to-Summit-Gear-Trip-Cockpit-Cover/ACK14229P.html
I could leave the beach ball inside, and put enough weight in so it wouldn’t blow away. Anyone tried it?
My cockpit is 34x19, so a small would just barely fit.

<<The stores in town don’t have beach balls yet, but I am not sure what I would do with it while kayaking. This might be interesting.>>
Well, you could use the beach ball as you work on your forward stroke. Actually a pretty good idea. I’ve seen it done & I’ve had forward stroke classes where we imagined the beach ball.

@wade@lippman.us said:
I know I can avoid sunlight by keeping it upside down, but when I tried that with mine, the waves knocked it off.

Where do you store your kayak?

As far as the neo cover degrading in sunlight, Aerospace. which makes 303 commonly used to keep hatch covers from drying out and degrading, also makes a u.v. fabric protectant which works quite well. You could use 303 on it as well. I keep one of my boats near the water and use the u.v. fabric spray on a Sunbrella type cover I made for the boat since it’s in sunlight a good part of the day.

I guarantee that Sea to Summit “gear trip” cover will leak profusely at the zipper.

I admit that I am curious why you say that your kayak gets water in the cockpit when stored due to “waves” hitting it. Where are you stashing it that waves wash over it. a dock? I’ve always used breathable cockpit covers for storage so that dampness (from paddling outings) can evaporate through the fabric rather than staying inside to get funky and slimy. I know people who make their own covers using mosquito netting to keep critters out but also let the interior dry between use. During transport I carry my kayaks inverted on the rack and I also leave them on their side or upside down when sitting outside, to prevent oilcanning with the plastic ones and rain fill up with the others. I use cockpit covers during transport (secured to the deck rigging through the looped tab) to minimize air turbulence inside the hull at highway speed and to prevent any rain from “scooping” in.

If you want to brace the neo cover so it is “tented”, try cutting a foam “pool noodle” in half and bending it into an arc wedged across the beam of the cockpit before pulling on the cover – experiment to get the length just right. If it doesn’t want to stay in place under the cover you might be able to carve notches in both places where the foam meets the coaming to keep it from shiftingA short piece of pool noodle can be very useful for many things in kayaking including a lumbar support when wrapped behind your lower back or even under your thighs to adjust position on long trips. Easy to stash behind the seat or into a hatch when not in use.

I am similarly confused as to how you waves are knocking off your cockpit cover when it is stored. Unless you need a better storage location.

But back to the ball to hold the center up… I am also confused about whether this is currently about cockpit covers for storage or spray skirts for paddling. My concern is that a ball could make a wet exit difficult if you had a problem.

@Celia said:
I am similarly confused as to how you waves are knocking off your cockpit cover when it is stored. Unless you need a better storage location.

But back to the ball to hold the center up… I am also confused about whether this is currently about cockpit covers for storage or spray skirts for paddling. My concern is that a ball could make a wet exit difficult if you had a problem.

When I first answered about using a ball I thought he was talking about cockpit covers only. Now I have no idea…totally lost.

@Marshall said:
There is a fair difference between the 1.7 vs. 2.2 meter size.

Is that what the sizing is - the circumferecne in meters? I’ve wonder what they based their sizing on. Good to know.

@wade@lippman.us said:
A rope tight around the cockpit is 2.1m. Seals recommends their 1.7, and I have a 2.2. I expect a 1.7 would have less flop in the middle, but it would also be a pain to use.

I would think you would need a size that is smaller than your actual circumference, or the bungee would not be taught enough to hold on to the combing under any pressure (part of what you are reporting as an issue).

I am on a small lake, and have a 5’ breakwater at the lake. The water is normally a foot deep at the breakwater. I built some 3’ high supports that keep the kayak 2’ above the water. We never get 2’ waves, but when the wave hit the breakwater they can throw water up 8’.
When I tried storing the kayak upside down a great deal of spray got up in the cockpit and got through the bulkhead to flood a storage area. When I put a cockpit cover over it, the spray had enough force to rip it off.
When I store it right side up, it is fine until the weight of the water on the cockpit cover pushes it down.

Hence my question. I used to leave it above the breakwater, but I getting too old to horse a 60 pound kayak around any more. Yeah, 4’ supports would be better, but for reasons I won’t go into, that’s not going to happen.

I’d go with the Seals 1.7 neo that Marshall mentioned… You could store the boat upside down and use a couple of bungee cords to secure the cover to the boat. I looked up your boat and from the photos, it doesn’t look like the coaming edge is very deep.

Alternatively, you could try storing it upright. That neo cover is not at all thin (I have to yank to get it on my boat) and I think any water would just wash over it. Am betting if I poured a bucket of water on mine, it would just splash off to the side.

If so much water is getting into the cockpit to flood a hatch when the boat is stored deck down, it sounds like you have a leaky bulkhead wall. Some Lexel should remedy that.

If you want me to do a water test with my kayak cockpit cover, let me know. I can probably shoot a video if needed.