Here We Go - Atlantic Tropical Activity

pretty early but the first named (sub)tropical storm in the Atlantic:

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2019/subtropical-storm-andrea?map=forecast

if survives and strengthens a little bit as a “fish storm”, we may even see some swells in NE. B)

sing

Surf day ?

Andrea is fading fast. She came too early in the season.

Wonder what the season will bring when it starts officially on June 1, given that we got a named storm already…

sing

Was kayak camping oceanside on a barrier island near Cape Romain May 19-21, 2012 when listening to the weather forecast on my VHF the evening of the 19th. They gave a small craft advisory for the next day as a tropical depression had developed about 100 miles off of Savannah, GA. They didn’t at the time know which way it would head so we packed up and left the next morning. It became a named storm (Alberto) that day, but went away from the coast as it turned out we could have stayed. I believe they said it was the earliest on record at that time. The photo is looking at the distant clouds of the system in the distance behind me paddling the Shearwater Kayak (I had finished building that February) back through the marsh.

@castoff said:
Was kayak camping oceanside on a barrier island near Cape Romain May 19-21, 2012 when listening to the weather forecast on my VHF the evening of the 19th. They gave a small craft advisory for the next day as a tropical depression had developed about 100 miles off of Savannah, GA. They didn’t at the time know which way it would head so we packed up and left the next morning. It became a named storm (Alberto) that day, but went away from the coast as it turned out we could have stayed. I believe they said it was the earliest on record at that time. The photo is looking at the distant clouds of the system in the distance behind me paddling the Shearwater Kayak (I had finished building that February) back through the marsh.

Thankfully, the forecast models give much earlier and more accurate forecast than they did even a few years back. Like your story, I can’t remember the exact year and hurricane, but I was booked for a week of kayak camping on one of the Boston Harbor Islands. I knew there was a storm churning in the tropics but the forecasted track was all over the place. So, I packed up and paddled out to my island campsite anyway (I wasn’t going to cancel because it took months in advance to book a site in the my prefered time frame). On the third day of having the island mostly to myself for camping and fishing (I think a lot of folks cancelled their reservations), the ranger came by and said all of the Harbor Islands were closing down and being evacuated. So, I packed up (fairly easy with my backpacking gear) and paddle evacuated the Island. The next day, we had a brush by with the tropical storm (no landfall). And, the day after that, I finished out my vacation with a couple of days of perfect waveski surfing conditions. It was all good. :slight_smile:

sing