Kayak towing

I’m headed to South Bass on Lake Erie and am thinking of towing a spare kayak. I want to sell it (a Boreal Design Baffin C1) and the South Bass Island Kayak Rendezvous seems like a good place. It’s a hair under 4 miles total with a 3 mile open water crossing. Anyone have experience towing this far? I’ve towed a person in a kayak for short distances and found it kinda fun and easy, so an empty kayak seems ok to try, with a quick release tow belt, that is. I’ve made that crossing three times previously.

Do it with a cockpit cover on to keep water out.

Yes. For safety, ALWAYS cover your cockpit, kids!

I’ve done some towing of second boats. Either to bring a different boat out for a different experience (often towing a surf or play boat), or the second boat was loaded with gear for a longer trip. Works fine, thought best to be more conservative in conditions you are in.

If it has a skeg, put it down to help the boat track better behind you.

Picture below is when I was in Kodiak, Alaska on a beach cleaning project a few years back, heading out from the Shuyak Ranger Station toward our base camp. We had 9-10 days worth of gear to carry, so about half of us towed boats. There was a portage in the middle, which was annoying. But that was likely safer than going around the outside away from the protected waters.

Thanks, the skeg deployment is a good idea.

be very careful if there is a following sea… The towed kayak can spear you if the line is too short… 15 m is a good length.

I’m trying to imagine what would happen if you are surfing on a moderately sized wave and the towed boat is back there a ways. Will it interrupt your ride, or will you really never get a ride started? That’s not to say that I would want the towed boat very close behind in any case. Also, the tow line should best be attached to a tow ring on a quick release belt, or the tow line should be around the paddler with the right kind of quick release knot.

I’ve towed empty boats and one time towed a guy in his boat. I thought he was having a heart attack, but he insisted that he would be okay in a little while–and he was. Even so, if it gets bumpy, all bets are off.

These are all good points. I may not tow the boat, as my wife thinks it won’t sell there, being an island rendezvous. How would people get it home? So, I may scrap the plan and just sell online, like a normal person.

@RussSeese said:
I may not tow the boat, as my wife thinks it won’t sell there, being an island rendezvous. How would people get it home?

And how would people get to the bank or ATM to get cash to pay you with?

Why not just paddle the boat you want to sell? Stick a big waterproof “for sale” sign on it and offer anyone interested the chance to paddle it. Money and pickup can be arranged for later.

Why paddle over.? Drive over with YOUR car on the ferry to the island That’s what I did in the past. The ferry isn’t that much money. PLUS if you paddle over then you have to do a long walk to what ever campsite you reserved,. Much nicer to drive over to South bass. If you still decide tow, I wouldn’t do it in wavy conditions. Just a bad idea. Flat water sure.

@Wolf said:
And how would people get to the bank or ATM to get cash to pay you with?

Erhh…

Rumour says that your country was capable of sending people to the moon 50 years ago.

I really hope that your technology since then has advanced adequately, so you today are able to make phone-to-phone payments.

(Assuming that said island has cell phone coverage.)