Fleet is growing, need advice on care for thermoformed kayak

When we moved to Cape Cod three years ago, I bought an older Current Designs Solstice GTS. My first sit-in kayak. I’ve mostly used it to work out and play on our local kettle pond, which is about 2.5 miles in circumference.

I’ve been looking for another kayak so that family/friends can join me on the pond (and elsewhere). The sit-on kayaks left by the previous owners of our house just don’t allow them to keep up…

So…this weekend I scored two kayaks, an Impex Montauk 16" (glass) and a Perception Eclipse 17.0 airalite. Both are about 12-15 years old and need some minor attention – the Impex needs three new hatch covers (old ones disintegrated and were discarded) and a light compound and waxing. Deck is very clean, bottom pretty clean. In comparison, my CD was pretty faded when I got it. I think the two new boats were always stored inside, when not in use, unlike my CD. All the rigging is in good shape and the rudder and skeg both work properly. Foot controls did need some minor attention…

I’m looking forward to getting the Montauk out on the water…it has gotten some great reviews. Have to get the hatches first. I was tempted to take it out yesterday for a quick trial, but decided that was a Bad Idea.

The Perception has some minor scratches on the bottom, and I’m not sure how to address them on a thermoformed boat. I could just ignore them, but…

Also, do I wax a termoformed kayak? Marine wax or something else?

BTW, I think I got a pretty good deal…the two kayaks plus cockpit covers, splash skirts, PFDs and basic paddles cost just a bit more than I paid for my Werner CF Camano paddle. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Gratuitous photo of the CD by the pond. :slight_smile:

Sounds like a great deal .

Two of my kayaks are thermoform. Eddyline has excellent instructions for repairing the material: https://eddyline.com/customer-service/care-repair/surface-scratch-repair-on-carbonlite-and-modulus-kayaks

I have minor scratches on the hulls, but have done nothing other than waxing. I did add helicopter tape to the deck to protect it from scratches from my spare paddle.

Thanks Rookie, much appreciated!

Avoid hitting solid objects with the ABS boat, but the same goes for any boat.

@magooch said:
Avoid hitting solid objects with the ABS boat, but the same goes for any boat.

Good advice. :slight_smile: I also follow that advice when cycling or running or driving…

I expect most of its use will be on our kettle pond, which is pretty safe. Soft sandy beach for launching, no obstructions in the water.

At 62 lbs, 10 more than my CD, it won’t be going up on the roof rack a lot. The pond is an 8 minute walk from the house, so a C-Tug will be its primary mode of conveyance onshore.

I had never heard of a kettle pond. Learn something new every day.

@string said:

http://geo.msu.edu/extra/geogmich/kettle_lakes.html

A gift from the receding glaciers. :slight_smile:

Exactly!

@Rookie said:

@string said:

http://geo.msu.edu/extra/geogmich/kettle_lakes.html

I also have Google.

I use Keel Easy strips in the primary wear areas which for me is the bow.

@string said:

Came across an interesting suggestion at a sea kayak group: use duct tape as an inexpensive keel strip.

I have a roll here which I used to patch a leaky gutter which has held perfectly through the ongoing monsoon season, so just might try it on my Prana. Probably easier to remove than KeelEazy. Like you, I’d apply it only to the bow.

@Rookie said:

@string said:

Came across an interesting suggestion at a sea kayak group: use duct tape as an inexpensive keel strip.

I have a roll here which I used to patch a leaky gutter which has held perfectly through the ongoing monsoon season, so just might try it on my Prana. Probably easier to remove than KeelEazy. Like you, I’d apply it only to the bow.

KE comes off easily with a hair dryer and is tough as nails. At $4/foot it won’t break the bank.

Rookie, I wouldn’t recommend that you use any duct tape on you boats except for a short time emergency patch. Old, dried out duct tape can be a nasty mess to get off.

I am tempted though to try to find some of that Gorilla gutter patch to have for emergency repairs.

@rival51 said:
Rookie, I wouldn’t recommend that you use any duct tape on you boats except for a short time emergency patch. Old, dried out duct tape can be a nasty mess to get off.

I am tempted though to try to find some of that Gorilla gutter patch to have for emergency repairs.

Thanks for the memory jog - I have white Gorilla tape on hand. That’s what I used for the rain gutter. Also have a roll of FlexTape, but it was too sticky to work with while standing on a ladder. Normally carry it in my kayak for emergency repairs,

I have some KeelEazy on hand, probably enough to do the bow. One of these days it may warm up enough to install it.