More reptiles

I cut the lawn today and in addition to the usual toads jumping out of the way I came across two black rat snakes. First one was bigger and I had to go into the house to get my phone and by the time I came back it was gone so we got to play “where did the snake go?”. It almost got out of sight but not quite. The step is 4 feet wide and it’s hanging off both ends so around 6 feet. The second one came across the street and didn’t like me following it so climbed the first tree it came across. Second one was much skinnier but still around 5 feet.

better pic

Cool. Black and red rats are typically docile and easy to handle. I’ve picked up several. I ran across a young one once who did his best to get me.
I think he was just scared.
Very beneficial snakes unless you are a bird with a nest in that tree.

@string said:

…or a toad on the ground.

It is cool how they can crawl up the bark.

I’ve watched snakes climb sheer rock faces at the “Gunks” in the same manner. Their ability to gain traction on the tiniest of surface irregularities is remarkable.

@string said:
Cool. Black and red rats are typically docile and easy to handle. I’ve picked up several. I ran across a young one once who did his best to get me.

Just FYI since you like snakes…my brother in law is a vet that was president of the Chicago Herp Society at one time…he keeps snakes and has mousicles in the freezer. He says that they are now called Gray (formerly Black) Ratsnakes and that they are a “Species of Special Concern” in Michigan meaning their habitat is dwindling but they are not yet Endangered.

There are numerous big bridges over the rivers that I often paddle around Pittsburgh and most have rough ashlar stone block bases in the water. I often see beautiful huge rat snakes sunning themselves on these near vertical piers, like the one in your photo on the tree bark.

I worked one Summer on a power plant construction project and mine was the only jobsite trailer not plagued with mice because a rat snake hung around under it. I had to battle to keep the ignorant hard-hats from trying to kill it with a shovel. Had to shame that by pointing out if a “girl” like me did not mind having a snake under her office, they were big wussies to be afraid of it.

Speaking of reptiles, there have been 3 alligators from 2’ to 6’ long recently captured at large in Pittsburgh, the largest in a stretch of the river I paddle most often. This week officials raided a home where a guy was hoarding multiple reptiles who may have been the source of one or more of the escapees. Adds an interesting new dimension to paddling in Pennsylvania.

https://www.wesa.fm/post/three-alligators-found-pittsburgh-month

Hand feed Gators are the most dangerous. They expect people to have food for them.

@TomL said:

@string said:

Just FYI since you like snakes…my brother in law is a vet that was president of the Chicago Herp Society at one time…he keeps snakes and has mousicles in the freezer. He says that they are now called Gray (formerly Black) Ratsnakes and that they are a “Species of Special Concern” in Michigan meaning their habitat is dwindling but they are not yet Endangered.

I don’t know about ours but there should be good available for several more months here .

@willowleaf said:
There are numerous big bridges over the rivers that I often paddle around Pittsburgh and most have rough ashlar stone block bases in the water. I often see beautiful huge rat snakes sunning themselves on these near vertical piers, like the one in your photo on the tree bark.

I worked one Summer on a power plant construction project and mine was the only jobsite trailer not plagued with mice because a rat snake hung around under it. I had to battle to keep the ignorant hard-hats from trying to kill it with a shovel. Had to shame that by pointing out if a “girl” like me did not mind having a snake under her office, they were big wussies to be afraid of it.

Good for you for protecting that snake. It’s been years since I’ve seen a chipmunk around our house.

Encountered this beauty in a meadow full of wildflowers and butterflies in north central PA a few years ago. Probably over 3’ long
. Didn’t bother him/her and he/she did not bother us. Second pic is the guardian in the rafters who kept my ex’s pole barn free of vermin.

I’d like to borrow some of those snakes! We’ve got a ton of chipmunks this year and no snakes despite out very snake-friendly property. Probably too many wussie male neighbors with shovels.

I had to break my neighbor of that bad practice.

Counting on the coyotes, foxes, owls and hawks at this point for vermin control – it’s like a chipmunk flashmob every time I step out into the front yard this year. (have to admit it is kind of amusing to watch the family up the block’s half blind old terrier making itself nuts trying to catch them – kind of hard with bad depth perception.) Also heard a rumor that fisher cats may have been spotted in the area – a neighbor found the remains of a rabbit in their yard that looked like Hannibal Lecter prepped it for brunch (some dimbulb on the neighborhood forum suggested notifying the cops – city folk, SMH.)

We are in a greenway corridor that leads up from the Monongahela River valley to the Allegheny with a surprising amount of wildlife. Despite being 10 minutes on the expressway from downtown Pittsburgh we have deer, flocks of turkey, skunks, coyotes, even a recent black bear. Never seen anything reptilian but a garter snake, though, in 15 years at this location.

I am trying to find out how to attract more possums to eat the danged deer ticks.

The tree climbing impresses me and also slightly creeps me out. Can’t blame them for getting into the shade, away from canine and feline harassers.

Here, we are seeing both the smaller brown lizards and the larger collared lizards, which sport a striking iridescent blue-green morphing to yellow and other colors.

Those are Blue Tailed Skinks.