Lasso-style cables and locks for 9.7 Katana kayak

I haven’t found a lasso cable that neatly fits my 9.7’ Katana kayak. All are too long, and what to do with the extra cable length is a problem, and a deal breaker for my situation.
Instead, I purchased 2 cables to form the “lasso” loops, Brinks 4’x1/4", model #175-25481. They come with padlocks, but I’m not impressed with them and will use others that are keyed alike. For the cable that ties the lasso’s loops together, I used a Master Lock 6’x3/8", model#78D. All three cables have looped ends. I put a lock through the two ends of one of the 4’ cables and one end of the 6’ cable. That forms one loop of the lasso and I put this around one end of the kayak.
At the other end of the kayak, I loop the 4’ cable around the kayak to form the other lasso end, then put a lock through the two ends of the 4’ cable, and then feed the 6’ cable through the lock hasp. The looped end of the 6’ cable and it’s cable clamp protrudes past the hasp, and the clamp is too thick to move back through the lock hasp. The looped end of the 6’ cable can be used to attach another cable and lock that can be used to secure the kayak to a fixed object.
This configuration keeps the lasso loops from sliding over either end of the Katana.
I know this might sound like a pain because of all the cables and locks, but it’s the only solution I’ve come up with so far. I’m not using this set up on a roof rack. It’s for securing the kayak at a camp site. Also, I’m painfully aware that even heavy cables can be easily cut. Just look at security cable reviews posted by cyclists who have had their expensive bikes stolen by thieves with small bolt cutters who have quickly cut the cables. So, facing reality, if someone really wants my kayak, they will get it. Hopefully my rigged up lasso will act as a deterrent.

On ling Lasso cables, the solution is to wrap the extra cable around something (yur bars or the like) until the slack has been taken up. They show it in how they wrap the cable around the bars multiple times in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKkf0-_PDvk

But most white water boats (yours included) come with lock points, usually right behind the seat. You can use a standard lock to connect a loop from a bike cable or chain to this padlock point.

Thanks for the input, but two screws, 30 seconds max, and my lock point comes off the yak. Not much security there. Hopefully yours is more secure. As mentioned, I’m not using a roof rack, so no bars to wrap cable around. Taking up three-plus feet of slack of store bought lassos sized for touring yaks is hit and miss around fixed objects, too short, too long… not to mention wrangling with 3/8" dia. Kong cable. I’d rather hassle with this set up.
I wish Lasso made a smaller version of their Kong lasso cable/lock. I contacted them about it, and they said they used to make smaller ones, but they discontinued them due to poor sales, and no, they won’t make custom sizes.
So what I would really like to wish for, is that everyone was honest, and we wouldn’t need any of this pain-in-the-butt theft deterrent stuff to begin with. But that’s pie-in-the-sky…

The last boat I had with a lock point was a Jackson, and they used a system where you couldn’t just unscrew the bolts that hold the lockpoint on. But if someone disassembling part of your boat to steal it is a concern, then the cables used by these locks aren’t going to slow anyone down that much more - they can be cut with bolt cutters.

You do need to lock to something. I missed you saying that it wasn’t for the roof, but for camp. In that case, you’d wrap the extra lasso cable around a tree or rock or something relatively unmoveable and that the cable couldn’t be lifted off of.

Ok. Thanks for your input. I have another yak to secure, so I will keep your advice in mind. Jackson’s are real nice boats.

Buy a screw with a security style head that requires a special tool. For instance there are fasteners with a head with no slots and shaped like half of a water melon.

If you dont use the lasso cables as intended (end loops fully “engorged” and unable to be pulled past bow), you really dont have a deterrent.

The lasso loops are not meant to be a heavy duty solution. They prevent a casual thief from walking away with your boat. One heavy duty solution is to hide a cellular GPS tracker inside the boat for a cost of 20-25 dollars per month.

Also, many insurance companies won’t reimburse if you dont have enough diligence to lock something up. If you leave your car doors open and some steals your 800 dollar phone, the first thing the police officer will ask is if you locked your door and windows. And if you say yes, they will want an explanation or evidence showing that the thief broke in to the vehicle.

Or take the too long set to a cable company, rigger or Marine cable outrigger. They can shorten the cable and swage on a new fitting.