Yakima BowDown Kayak Rack

It’s a catch 22. Don’t have a kayak yet. Don’t have a roof roof or a kayak rack either. Really want to buy a kayak. Found this Yakima Bow Down Kayak Rack for $62. Should I get it? Good or not? Need to get a roof rack to attach it to also. And what else do I need?? Help! Confused!

What is the make, model and year of your vehicle? Naked roof? Roof rails? 2 or 4 door? This’ll all help.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

2010 Hyundai Tucson naked roof

No real desire to do sea kayaking. Want the security of a lake, stream or easy river. Not going near the ocean.

@Szunflower said:
No real desire to do sea kayaking. Want the security of a lake, stream or easy river. Not going near the ocean.

You paddle Long Island. You should have a sea kayak. “Sea. Kayak” does not mean the ocean. It’s that boat with two bulkheads and hatches. Lakes and rivers have waves too.

You could get a foam block rack that sits directly on the roof for about $35. The webbing straps will be running through the cabin of your car. You open all the doors, run the lines through, then close the doors. You should have some sort of bow line if you are going to drive on the highway.

At a minimum;
Straps (or relearn your truckers hitch with rope) bow/stern tie downs and a set of these;

https://seatosummitusa.com/collections/mobile-water/products/pack-rack-inflatable-roof-rack

I keep a few in stock for folks with lease or rental cars.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Agree on foam blocks or inflatables as the cheap and easy way in to try it out.