Thoughts on the Curtis Ladybug, anybody?

A guy near me is selling a 1980’s vintage fiberglass Curtis Ladybug. I’ve been contemplating adding a lightweight solo to the armada and this looks like a sweet little boat, clearly in good shape but I have some reservations about nearly 40 year old FG. I found a review of one on here from Yanoer. Anybody else familiar with this model?

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/d/pittsburgh-classic-curtis-lady-bug-solo/6886411785.html

1 Like

Sweet ride. I have a boat also made by Curtis that is 31 years old and going strong… A friend of mine has a LadyBug and uses it for FreeStyle…Its got a bit of rocker in the stern too…
Best for those under 150 lbs. It was designed for smaller females.

The Lady Bug is a fantastic solo for a smaller person. I paddle my Lady Bug more than my Flashfire. Mine is a 1988 model, but I bought it about 15 years ago unused from a garage. Mine is the kevlar model and weighs 32 lbs.

Go for it, if it’s a decent price.

This is a model that I’d like to see built with modern construction methods and composite gunwales and thwarts. I don’t perceive it as a duplicate of the Flashfire.

Edited to add that this boat handles great for me kneeling or sitting (with a foot brace) with a single blade paddle and great with a 225cm kayak paddle, as well.

I’m 5’6" and 165 lbs.

1 Like

Just shy of 5’ 5" and about 155 # at the moment. I may go take a look it tomorrow – it will be my birthday, after all (not that I ever have needed much of an excuse to get another boat…)

Kinda figured, due to the name, it was not marketed to outlaw biker dudes…

Sort of matches my hair – perfect little old lady boat!

@willowleaf said:
Sort of matches my hair – perfect little old lady boat!

Paddling has kept you young.

Paddling, rock and roll and younger men…

Fun boat. Great for FS but know those who have tripped in it. Should fit you well. Curtis construction from the heyday of solo canoeing was among the best. If it has been stored properly you should have no problem! Described accurately in the Curtis catalog as “a joyful cork” if memory serves.

@willowleaf said:
Just shy of 5’ 5" and about 155 # at the moment. I may go take a look it tomorrow – it will be my birthday, after all (not that I ever have needed much of an excuse to get another boat…)

You are a perfect size for that boat.

Do check it out.

I think it’s a wonderful day tripping canoe. Relatively easy to manage in windy conditions.

BTW, what would you consider a decent price for it? $800 seems OK to me compared to what I have been looking at in lighter pack canoes (my brother lives in the Adirondacks and I have seen a lot up there.) Looks to be well kept. Not a big market for solos in these parts and he has had it listed for two months.

Waiting to hear back from the message I emailed to the seller.

I’ve never heard anything but complements for the boat and I would not hesitate to buy an older Curtis boat in good shape. Plus it really can’t depreciate much.

@TomL said:
I’ve never heard anything but complements for the boat and I would not hesitate to buy an older Curtis boat in good shape. Plus it really can’t depreciate much.

And it boggles my mind that Dave Curtis continues to build great boats at Hemlock Canoe and also continues to celebrate and introduce people to solo canoeing.

If you can try it out and it makes you smile, and it’s in very good condition, then it’s probably worth $800 to you.

Good used solo canoes are rare treats out here in central IL.

I paid $1300 for my 32lb kevlar version and never regretted it.

I usually look at acquiring a good quality boat, especially used, as less of a purchase than a rental, short or long term. Having generally been able to sell my various boats for not a whole lot less (and in a few cases, more) than I paid for them once I decide to move on to something else means my cost per mile of pleasure is pretty miniscule. I do have a couple of boats I would never sell but my net expenditure on the fleet over the years has not been all that bad. And unlike many other hobbies I could have, maintenance and “operating costs” are virtually nil.

Hmm. The Ladybug listing either expired or was removed from CL. I hope he/she got my relayed message if the former is the case. Time will tell.

Here is hoping you get a reply!

@kayamedic said:

@TomL said:

And it boggles my mind that Dave Curtis continues to build great boats at Hemlock Canoe and also continues to celebrate and introduce people to solo canoeing.
Dave is an amazingly gracious and humble legend. I’ve owned a few Hemlocks and paddled a bunch of his boats from the mid 80’s and all were rock solid with superb build quality…and even competitive for lightness compared to new boats.

@willowleaf said:
Hmm. The Ladybug listing either expired or was removed from CL. I hope he/she got my relayed message if the former is the case. Time will tell.

Here’s another one. I suggest that you go buy it immediately. Green hair will look good on you too.

https://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/d/rochester-curtis-ladybug-solo-canoe/6906747214.html

Ooh, I love green. And I will be driving through Rochester in about 3 weeks on my way to kayak in Maine.

could come down $100
but otherwise fair
Comes with lesson. I know some good paddlers from
that area and wondering who is selling it
just in time for the ADK Canoe Symposium at Paul Smith July 16-19