Hello, Paddler!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My 10 day 300km trip through the wilderness of northern Saskatchewan

A couple weeks ago I did a solo trip in northern Saskatchewan Canada. I took my delta 15.5 kayak and headed out for 10 days. The trip consisted of 7 lakes 4 streams and 5 portages. I did a big 300km loop to eventually end back where I started.

It was certainly an adventure and I managed to get some great footage. I’ll be putting out some videos of the trip. If you want a sneak peak you can check it out on YouTube.
The channel is brand new so if you could show it some love it would be much appreciated!

Also I’d be happy to answer any questions you have about the gear I used or the trip in general.

Comments

• For context, what was your experience and outdoor history prior to this trip?

• @Sparky961 said:
    For context, what was your experience and outdoor history prior to this trip?

Well my love for the outdoors started when I was a kid. My dad took me on hunting and fishing outings all the time. When I was in my teens I joined the cadet program here in Canada. I learned about survival and eventually thought an aircrew survival course.

From there it was a natural progression into wilderness trips and camping. I have quite a few canoe trips under my belt but this is the first trip in a kayak

• edited July 9

Dude. That looked... um... rough.

Been there. I've since learned to trip less masochistically. The biggest thing that helped? Sticking to the shorelines of large bodies of water and OUT of the boggy, buggy interior. ;) I call myself a "reformed canoeist", as for the past number of years my outdoor experience has primarily been on the shores of Georgian Bay (Lake Huron). Prior to that I spent a fair amount of time in Algonquin and crown land to the northwest thereof.

Your buggy scenes reminded me of standing on top of Ishpatina Ridge nearly being pushed over by swarms of deer flies and wanting to scream "THIS F*ING SUCKS!" Would I do it again? Well, not in that season... but certainly without the bugs.

• Not gonna lie. Some of the portages were down right brutal. It sucked when I was in the middle of it and I told myself I wasn’t going to do it again.

With that being said 3 days after I got home I was already planning a similar trip. Maybe I’m just a sucker for punishment but I have no regrets and the enjoyment I got out of it far outweighed the bad.

A decade from now these old bones might not be able to handle it but for now I don’t mind suffering if it’s self imposed lol

• Well I agree that the portages were brutal. The in-between portages must be really good. I don't like the distance from the put-in to the truck.