A slow observation from a newby with a vantage point...

I am a new paddler but totally, totally into it.

I am about 1.7 years into owning and remodeling a very cool but small cabin project on Orcas Island, Washington. This island is one of the best kayaking spots on the planet but the area does present real challenges.

I have a waterfront view from the quiet east side of Orcas and I grab my binoculars whenever I see any kayak or small boat out on the super variable water conditions.

What I have I noticed is quite a varying degree of water safety out there. All kinds of what I would call rec boats, solo paddlers, small boats with folks standing while taking selfies, sit on tops in fast currents and more. No accidents to report but it does make you think?

I noticed you said “on the quiet east side”.

That is probably why they are not on the other side!

I see people paddling the Hudson in recreational kayaks with no perimeter lines and open cockpits all the time.

Last night a large group(14 or so) paddled by. Mostly tandems. Just interesting to see how effortless some paddlers are while others are using too much high motion and energy.

We get some strong flood tides here, depending on the moon. I watched this guy in a tiny rowboat. Once he cut his little outboard off to begin fishing I was amazed at how quickly and far he drifted in the current. At least he was wearing a life preserver which is not always the case.

Set up a static camera and make a YouTube channel out of the better footage. :smile:

How many have their paddles upside down? One of the lakes where I go for a quick paddle is apparently a favorite for newer paddlers. One of the things I see is about half of the paddlers have their paddle upside down. For the women and kids, I will usually tell them that their paddle is upside down and almost all of them will just roll them over so that they are backwards. Then I usually have to say, no–flip it from right to left and demonstrate with my paddle. Sometimes I will explain why, but most often I get a “thank you” and I’m on my way.

Men are a whole nuther matter. If the guy is obviously a brand new paddler, I might explain that his paddle would work a bit better if he orients it correctly. If my perception that the paddler was brand new, most often they are somewhat happy about the suggestion. On the other hand, I’ve learned that it’s probably not the best idea to bother a male paddler who sort of looks like it’s not his first time unless you have time for a little small talk and bring it up very tactfully. The standard answer from them is they like it that way–(upside down).

What does any of that have to do with paddlers spotted off of Orcas Island? Well, not a lot, except that so many people in little boats these days are just kind of winging it. Hopefully, they will make it and one way, or the other will advance.

@Doggy Paddler said:
I see people paddling the Hudson in recreational kayaks with no perimeter lines and open cockpits all the time.

Yep, me too: East River transit to LI Sound, large open rec cockpit, no pfd, jeans and a sweatshirt, feet up on the front deck, go figure…

The other thing I have noticed is how popular it is to kayak with your dog. Some dogs look like they are having a good time while some look bored out of their minds. Most are not wearing a canine PFD though. Yesterday I saw this guy in what looked like a large Wilderness Systems yak with a happy looking lab sitting in the bow hatch wearing a very cool looking yellow PFD. The experienced looking owner had all the required gear for solo paddling in these waters. Made me smile…

From last summer: this cool looking group stopped by for a rest and map consultation…

@PhotoMax said:
From last summer: this cool looking group stopped by for a rest and map consultation…

Looks like a guided tour. Too much matching equipment.

I’m guy and I have probably 3-4 year casual experience. I was really surprised at a put in this spring when a grandmotherly figure (BTW, I’m near retirement myself) just said hello and then told me paddle was upside down. I had NO IDEA and am glad she told me.

@magooch said:
How many have their paddles upside down? One of the lakes where I go for a quick paddle is apparently a favorite for newer paddlers. One of the things I see is about half of the paddlers have their paddle upside down. For the women and kids, I will usually tell them that their paddle is upside down and almost all of them will just roll them over so that they are backwards. Then I usually have to say, no–flip it from right to left and demonstrate with my paddle. Sometimes I will explain why, but most often I get a “thank you” and I’m on my way.

Men are a whole nuther matter. If the guy is obviously a brand new paddler, I might explain that his paddle would work a bit better if he orients it correctly. If my perception that the paddler was brand new, most often they are somewhat happy about the suggestion. On the other hand, I’ve learned that it’s probably not the best idea to bother a male paddler who sort of looks like it’s not his first time unless you have time for a little small talk and bring it up very tactfully. The standard answer from them is they like it that way–(upside down).

What does any of that have to do with paddlers spotted off of Orcas Island? Well, not a lot, except that so many people in little boats these days are just kind of winging it. Hopefully, they will make it and one way, or the other will advance.

When I went to a Swift demo day in Madison earlier this year I really noticed the male “know it all” effect. I think there were no experienced paddlers there but a couple of guys were super animated and acting like experts and giving friends and spouses all kinds of advice. One guy actually told me to be careful in the Keewaydin 14 I was test paddling and said “I may buy that boat” so I told him to relax and that he SHOULD buy it because it would fit him well. The Swift folks were smart and had two reps steadying every boat at the dock as test paddlers got in so they could not tip even if they tried. They sold a whole bunch of expensive new boats to beginners (in expensive new outdoor clothing) that day. Most likely their wives will be the voice of reason that keeps them out of trouble as they develop their skills since they seemed like the curious, open-minded listeners. I met a couple of single middle aged women that were a pleasure to talk to as they shopped for a boat.

@TomL said:
. Most likely their wives will be the voice of reason that keeps them out of trouble as they develop their skills………

Perhaps, but often times I find it is the wife that wants to do 150% where 90% is wise.

@PhotoMax said:

Could be a doobie break, too.

@TomL said:

When I went to a Swift demo day in Madison earlier this year I really noticed the male “know it all” effect. I think there were no experienced paddlers there but a couple of guys were super animated and acting like experts and giving friends and spouses all kinds of advice. One guy actually told me to be careful in the Keewaydin 14 I was test paddling and said “I may buy that boat” so I told him to relax and that he SHOULD buy it because it would fit him well. The Swift folks were smart and had two reps steadying every boat at the dock as test paddlers got in so they could not tip even if they tried. They sold a whole bunch of expensive new boats to beginners (in expensive new outdoor clothing) that day. Most likely their wives will be the voice of reason that keeps them out of trouble as they develop their skills since they seemed like the curious, open-minded listeners. I met a couple of single middle aged women that were a pleasure to talk to as they shopped for a boat.

Not if the guy is like many husbands. If their wife says something that is “a guy realm” subject, it must be ignored! If another guy—even one who knows nothing—says the same thing, why, then it gets heeded. If the Guy Way turns out badly, then they might listen to the wife’s advice.

Ask me how I know.

I see it here as well. I think it’s just the nature of the endeavor. The water is a foreign environment and is easy to misunderstand. I used to live in your neck-of-the-woods and you can never take the water for granted up there. It’s deadly cold all year long; windy too.

Last night’s awesome visual: small open fishing boat with four dudes in the swift current between Orcas and Cypress Islands. I heard a big shout and looked over to see all four guys standing while excitedly netting a large caught salmon. The little boat bobbled this way and then wobbled that way. None of these guys was wearing a life preserver…

My vantage point for the past few days. Everyone has a drysuit, a sea kayak, and is wearing a PFD. :slight_smile:

@Rookie said:
My vantage point for the past few days. Everyone has a drysuit, a sea kayak, and is wearing a PFD.

If your temperatures have been anything like mine, has anyone in one of those drysuits suffered heat stroke?

Looks like… Great Lakes sea kayak symposium {Rookie} Grand Marais , Michigan. Good choice for a learning experience! Which trip did you do?